Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

I had seen 5 tiger grand finals and 4 premierships before I left high school. We old buggers were blessed during that time .
Those flags are precious memories but 2017 was something else all together. I never thought I would see it again and I did.
Dimma was a big part of that

Yeah, 5 flags while I could still buy a junior membership, don't remember the first 2, a bit young and no interest in sport by either parent.

1982 was awful, and the years following . . . torture.

How many coaches? Geez, too many to remember - Hafey and DImma and a whole pile in between, doubt I can remember them all.

Just on the premiership cup story, my daughter got a pic with the 2019 cup which was being guarded by a security guard while DImma had dinner at a restaurant in Gardenvale, she's lucky, I wasn't there and didn't understand her message or I'd have one too :(

DS

Reactions: 3 users
Eh, he’s great, but he’s also got a list handed to him that was ready to go. There’s a huge tendency to equate the quality of the list to the quality of the coach.
Remember when Carracella left, and many here were doom and gloom that he was the magical architect of our success? It made bugger all difference when he left. There’s a lot that has to go right to win premierships in a heavily regulated 18 team competition and we’re about to pay our dues over the next few years. No coach is going to magically get us back in the premiership window immediately. Focus on culture and player development, ideally with a young coach who can grow with the list.
Good post

I just watched "Richmond - The Fighting Fury" and just appreciated how blessed we were. Coming from 13th in 2016 to the feared juggernaut that we became. I am grateful for the *smile* times that we had over 37 years that made the awesome years from 2017-2020, taste all the more sweet. Dimma you left an indelible mark on this club and its supporters. Thankyou so very, very much.

Reactions: 8 users
He looked younger and lighter in the presser, and the laughs contained genuine relief and joy. Now he’s made the decision, and it’s out there - that’s obviously a huge weight off his shoulders, and he’s already enjoying his freedom.

Reactions: 13 users
Would love to keep the "Richmond Man" ethos going. With a lot of changes and new people coming on board things can get lost in the wash.
When Balmey is finished I'd love to see Dimma take his spot and become that elder statesman. No stress, just keep the whole place grounded and humble.
But no doubt clubs will be throwing a million dollars a year at him to go again.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Eh, he’s great, but he’s also got a list handed to him that was ready to go. There’s a huge tendency to equate the quality of the list to the quality of the coach.
Remember when Carracella left, and many here were doom and gloom that he was the magical architect of our success? It made bugger all difference when he left. There’s a lot that has to go right to win premierships in a heavily regulated 18 team competition and we’re about to pay our dues over the next few years. No coach is going to magically get us back in the premiership window immediately. Focus on culture and player development, ideally with a young coach who can grow with the list.
Carcella nickname is “ Blank Carcella “ for reason . Hardly missed

He looked younger and lighter in the presser, and the laughs contained genuine relief and joy. Now he’s made the decision, and it’s out there - that’s obviously a huge weight off his shoulders, and he’s already enjoying his freedom.
Timing is everything and while the accolades for Hardwick are flowing thick and fast, and much deserved, I wished he had taken off to America at the end of the ‘22 season as just plain old Mr Hardwick, having already stepped down as the coach of the Tigers.

Ten games into a season and “jumping ship” with a smile and spring in your step is bloody lousy timing in my opinion!

Yep. I've seen 8. Been to 2. 2017 best of all for me. Bachar BOG, Dusty Normie, Rance amazing. :cupgold :cupgold:cupgold:cupgold:cupgold:cupgold:cupgold:cupgold
Seen eight also, Acky, and present at four of them. 1973 and 2017 are the two that really stand out for me. Also really like watching replays of 2020 flag.
And a shout out to the 1980 premiership which was simply an awesome team.

Reactions: 2 users
Timing is everything and while the accolades for Hardwick are flowing thick and fast, and much deserved, I wished he had taken off to America at the end of the ‘22 season as just plain old Mr Hardwick, having already stepped down as the coach of the Tigers.

Ten games into a season and “jumping ship” with a smile and spring in your step is bloody lousy timing in my opinion!

And if he applied that logic in 2016,

the tattoos are done with invisible ink

tears of joy unshed,

dead relatives un-whispered to

All that love,

unrequitted

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
And if he applied that logic in 2016,

the tattoos are done with invisible ink

tears of joy unshed,

dead relatives un-whispered to

All that love,

unrequitted
I expressed a desire, a preference for Hardwick leaving at the end of a very disheartening ‘22 season which he reacted to be leaving pre-season training to travel to the States to what? That’s fact and does not require logic or a useless comparison to 2016 vs now!

He allowed his self belief (some might say ego), to roll the dice one more time.

It was a mistake. We know it was a mistake because he’s gone.

I believe the club is big enough to work through this mistake despite being blind sided by Hardwick’s decision to resign, effective immediately!!!

Last edited:
Not only did he make an impact on me personally with those 3 flags, he made a positive impact on my family.

I can relive attending the 2019 Premiership with my boys. They still talk about sneaking their way to the fence and high 5ing the players as they came around with the Cup. It brings a smile to the familes face and has made them rusted on Tigers. Something we'll share for eternity.

There is no I'll feeling towards Dimma calling it quits now. Just some sadness but that's sort of countered by reliving his legacy.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
denial - done once saw him in civvies
anger - already done with ess loss
bargaining - few posters wanting him to do balmey role - ain’t going to happen - moved on
depression - too much joy looking back at what happened to do that
acceptance - yep
hope - here pretty quickly

Well done Richmond.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Not sure if this has been covered in this thread. Message received from Whatsap "A standing ovation for Dimma. During this game against port, in the 3rd quarter (3 premierships) at the 17 minute mark (2017), encourage fans to give Damien a standing ovation as a token of gratitude. I'll be in that.

Great times ahead. New faces. New philosophies. New champions. Strap in will be a roller-coaster for a while.

I expressed a desire, a preference for Hardwick leaving at the end of a very disheartening ‘22 season which he reacted to be leaving pre-season training to travel to the States to what? That’s fact and does not require logic or a useless comparison to 2016 vs now!

He allowed his self belief (some might say ego), to roll the dice one more time.

I believe the club is big enough to work through this mistake despite being blind sided by Hardwick’s decision to resign, effective immediately!!!

Fair enough,

And if someone picked a pineapple and climbed a coconut tree and made you a pina colada from scratch,

Youde be entitled to grumble if it wasnt made on 20yo rum

• Haha

Amazing what people choose to get upset about.

Reactions: 1 user
denial - done once saw him in civvies
anger - already done with ess loss
bargaining - few posters wanting him to do balmey role - ain’t going to happen - moved on
depression - too much joy looking back at what happened to do that
acceptance - yep
hope - here pretty quickly

Well done Richmond.

Haha yep.

Ive gone from a death in the family,

To

'forest gump couldve coached dusty to those three flags. Whose gonna paw the reins and pretend theyre in control through the Ryan Sampson years?'

In 24 hours

• Haha