Dan Richardson | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dan Richardson

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
This is a huge off season for us, as it'll either have us continuing to improve or set us back few years.

Whilst people here say they didn't like Cameron, he helped build the list to where we see it now. Dan Richardson on the other hand hasn't really done anything yet, and he's making me very nervous. If we lose both Martin and Conca, we'd better get back much better in trades.

If we lose either for nothing, I hope he gets fired. We've waited a long time for success. We don't want and can't afford, to go backwards again now.

They bought him in for his previous experience and expertise.

Whilst he isn't alone, he'd be providing the main info about market worth and leading those discussions/providing recommendations.

It's a very big test for him this off season.

So if what was posted here in another thread is true that the club and Martin had reached an agreement and then Carr changed it then the club agreed again and Carr changed it again and the club agreed then Carr changed again and the club said no, if true yeah it is all Richardsons fault ::)

I mean, obviously Craig Cameron is a smart bloke. No argument here. And when we recruited him he brought with him an infrastructure of talent scouts. So that worked out very well. Because we didn't used to have any.

Gary March legacy. Benny Gale helpful. Either way they have to over rule Barry's lad this time.

Not now, of course. But in time they have to. Martin stays. So does Conca.

*smile* Hardwick's Wallace moment of deluson. Sacrifice Martin and Conca for Vickers and Titch? Schulz would break Vickery in half. And Titch is too busy being a genius to play adequate football.

Richardson is being nice to an ideal while he, a novice, sacrifices what we need to achieve it.

Martin, Vickery and Titch have not yet delievered what they promise. Only one of these yet might. Wake up, RFC.

I'm going to translate my own post. That's how desperate I am.

Martin could yet be a leper. Just as G. Ablett sr might have been. Or A. Lockett. Ablett only did at a second club and Lockett found consistency at one, if not his former brilliance.

Over his career, Martin's only failure was of endurance. He was a 21yo for season 2013. All is forgiven.

There is a more delicate matter IMO. He was a clutch player as an 18yo, rested by Dimma in the last qtr only to be brought on by Dimma for an infallible goal. But in the final against Carton in 2013 all fans knew that Martin was a spent force at half time.

Was it a failure of endurance or of will? Obviously of will. Would G. Ablett sr have failed that test at 21? Yep. Jr? Maybe. Tony Lockett? Well, the ball was up the other end.

I'm not suggesting that we've played it wrong so far. It's time for us to calculate and move boldy. Late. Let's budget this and recruit. When we know our own plays we can play on with the newbs.

Martin and Conca? Richardson needs them. If he fails Gale and March can be presumtuous, particularly March. PR matters here.

Surely Dan Richardson is working at that behest of the board instructions? I.E. give a reasonable contract for the value the player gives the club. In the past we have paid overs for players just to keep them without considering what is best for the club and team long term. The case in point for Martin was that he has enormous potential so we paid overs and now that is coming back to bite us. Dan could roll over and pay whatever Martin / Carr and even Conca wants but that would adversely affect what we could pay to whoever else we are after in trade or draft. That could mean that we pay over for one or two players but adversely affect the development of the team by not getting the players we want due to salary cap issues.

I was for letting Martin walk. But I'm starting to think that the accountants are taking the place of the mad scientists in terms of their importance to footy clubs.

To lose Martin and Conca for the sake of $50,000 each is pretty stupid. As Brettstigers has pointed out natural progression of these players may make the early over payment insignificant in the long run.

There's no magic formula to market value - anyone who thinks they have one is demonstrating the sort of hubris which we are accusing the players of having.

The_General said:
Whilst people here say they didn't like Cameron, he helped build the list to where we see it now. Dan Richardson on the other hand hasn't really done anything yet, and he's making me very nervous. If we lose both Martin and Conca, we'd better get back much better in trades.

The question I am starting to ask is what state Cameron left or salary cap in. I always thought it strange that he upped and left so suddenly. We have since heard that the club is very tight with the cap, and Richardson and the club are now sticking to a formula for player payments.

Sounds to me like there might be some pretty unhealthy deals on our list that have soaked up much more money than they should have.

i agree with you streak. If conca want $350 $400K he can look elsewhere. You need to earn your pay rise. I am happy to pay for players who will put in week in and have a crack, but conca value to me is $250- $300K thats why yu get to years.

I think a lot of people dont understand just how hard it would be to manage the salary cap, 9,130,00 to spend this year but the cap has a floor of 8,673,00 a difference of 457,000. One middle of the range player thats it.

So all this crap about how can we be close to the cap when we've been crap, well the rules state we have to be.

1 middle of the range player is the difference in the cap
Or we give 9 extra blokes 50k and have nothing left for anyone else.

No doubt the cap goes up each year or however often but when you have a list that size and no room to move you can guarantee that some of those salary cap rises are already spent.

Would take Dan Richardson at least 3 full years to get the cap to a point where he had almost complete control over it.

I dont want to lose anyone either but the nature of the beast says we might have to let someone go to help moving into next year and beyond

Tiger Ghost said:
I think a lot of people dont understand just how hard it would be to manage the salary cap, 9,130,00 to spend this year but the cap has a floor of 8,673,00 a difference of 457,000. One middle of the range player thats it.

So all this crap about how can we be close to the cap when we've been crap, well the rules state we have to be.

No doubt the cap goes up each year or however often but when you have a list that size and no room to move you can guarantee that some of those salary cap rises are already spent.

Would take Dan Richardson at least 3 full years to get the cap to a point where he had almost complete control over it.

I dont want to lose anyone either but the nature of the beast says we might have to let someone go to help moving into next year and beyond

Spot on Ghost.

Plus we cant utilise the half payment for mature age players because we only have 1.

RT.

Tiger Ghost said:

Good post. This is what the "media experts" miss when they say we've been over-paying our list. You must to comply with AFL requirements.

I think Richardson is on a hiding to nothing we all want him to be tough in negotiations but expect him to win every single time, that doesn't happen when you through variables such as greedy managers unrealistic player expectations and predatory clubs into the mix.

The facts speak for themselves a successful side is one in which the playing group make across the board sacrifices physical, mental and financial in pursuit of the ultimate prize. if any player is unwilling to do that then they should walk as the impact in caving in will have a detrimental affect of the rest of the organisation. I don't want Martin or Conca to go but there has to be a limit to what we can play. Richardson is doing a good job in my opinion at least

I don't think we can judge Richardson at the end of the year, let alone 3 or 4 days into a 1 week/10 day stand-off. I think what he did was brave, but given his background, would have a better idea than most of us what Dusty was worth and how much interest there would be. Seems only GWS remain open, which given their immaturity, to me would seem to be a disaster marriage for both parties.

#inrichowetrust

He knows a lot more about the situation than we do and has a lot more experience in the game than anyone on here so what ever he does will be the right thing by the club and i am happy he is there and happy to stand by what ever eventuates.

He is no fool .....

;)

Martin had agreed to a deal and then Carr said 'and a little bit more'. So we added a little bit more. Martin agreed again, then Carr came back with 'and a little bit more'. That game can go on forever if one party doesn't call a halt to it. The foot was put down, the bluff called and the suitors have dropped off like March flies.

Richardson has played it well so far. His next test is re-signing Dusty or getting value for him, which to me means Patton and Adams. I love the Bull but I'd be ok with that deal.

spook said:
Martin had agreed to a deal and then Carr said 'and a little bit more'. So we added a little bit more. Martin agreed again, then Carr came back with 'and a little bit more'. That game can go on forever if one party doesn't call a halt to it. The foot was put down, the bluff called and the suitors have dropped off like March flies.

Richardson has played it well so far. His next test is re-signing Dusty or getting value for him, which to me means Patton and Adams. I love the Bull but I'd be ok with that deal.
Mate your dreaming Patton and Adams... We won't even get one of them... If he goes to gws we get nothing

dewinton said:
Mate your dreaming Patton and Adams... We won't even get one of them... If he goes to gws we get nothing

have a feeling it'll be Adams.