Danny Green: | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Danny Green:

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
What a performance.
I was a bit worried after the first 2 rounds, but he came out in the 3rd round and just dominated the rest of the fight.

Well done Danny I dips me lid.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
WOOOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!

Go Danny Boy!

Rematch that clown Makcus Beyer and then unify with Mundine. Winner takes Sven Ottke.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Green is a very accomplished fighter and would beat Mundine IMHO as Mundine is suseptible to a puncher like Green.

Danny needs a couple of quality oponents, but not step out of his league just to quickly. Jeff FENECH more than anyone knows the mental damage that can be inflicted by a loss (even if he was robbed). FENECH was never the same fighter after he was robbed of the decision over Azumah NELSON in the states.

Danny will need to keep his emotions under control though and avoid the temptation to take advantage of things by attempting silly headbut.

Good luck to him.

P

PuntRoadRoar

If Mundine ever fights Green he will end up retiring. Mundine knows he has too much to lose with a fight with Green.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
After seeing Mundine get knocked out from such an innocuous looking punch agaisnt Sven Ottke you would think he would get murdered facing a power punching machine like Danny Green.

Then I saw him virtually shut out Antwun Echols, who had come with the reputation of being a monster after he gave Bernard Hopkins all he could handle a few years back.

Mundine is faster and has better skills than Green and I wouldn't be surprised to see Mundine win on points if he can avoid Green's punches. If he gets caught though, that could be the end of him.

Green would most likely stop Mundine after catching him late in the fight whilst being down on points, but Mundine could squeeze out a victory on points if he runs all night and uses his jab.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
JohnF you are correct in what you say in that the result would depend on whether Mundine can shut out Green. I doubt that Mundine has the defensive skills to keep Green out all night, although I must confess that I haven't seens last two fight to make a truly informed assessment.

Ottke showed up Mundines glass jaw, but he proved in the Echols fight that he can keep to a game plan although I think Echols let himself down a bit in that he was not able to adapt to Mundines strategy of hit and run so to speak.

At this stage I think both fighters need to gain more experience before they think about taking on the world especially Mundine who has been in the WBO. (correct me if I am wrong there). I never really rated OTTKE or ECHOLS that highly.

A bit of a classic Boxer Vs Fighter match in theory.

Whatever I'd like to be ringside at the fight.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Yeah Gus, actually Mundine holds the WBA belt, although Sven Ottke is really the WBA champion. Since Ottke holds more than one belt the WBA decided to deem him a "super champion" and put the WBA belt up for grabs, which Mundine won by beating Echols. (Bunch of money hungry scumbags are the WBA and all the boxing organisations, but anyway...)

I expect Green to apply more pressure to Mundine than what Echols did and I think that could be the difference. Echols, although being extraordinarily strong, is really a blown up middleweight, and wasn't at his best when he fought Mundine.

I dont rate Ottke or Echols that highly either, but outside of Danny Green I think Ottke is at least the second best fighter in the super middleweight division (Joe Calzaghe possibly being the best).

It is a little sad that Calzaghe doesn't even hold one of the 3 major belts and has been denied a title shot for what seems like ages now. Too many paper champions floating around nowadays.

Just on Mundine, a lot of people bag him, but anyone who challenges the second best or arguably best fighter in a division after ten fights (and with no amatuer background!) and nearly causes an upset gains my respect.

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
I would have a lot more respect for Mundine if he agreed to fight Danny Green. Mundine has been running away from Danny Green for the past 12 months.

Danny Green on the other hand has been prepared to fight anyone, anywhere, any time.

Mundine in the main has been pitted against smaller, washed up opponents who are well past by their used by date. Until Mundine is prepared to fight the best, he will not get the true respect that a world champion deserves.

I think Green would smash him inside 6 rounds. Mundine doesn't have the power to hurt Green and Green would cut off the ring and catch up with him. Eric Lucas should not be underrated. He has gone 12 rounds against Roy Jones Junior and has defeated some high ranking opponents. And Danny Green did defeat him in Eric Lucas back yard in Canada.

J

jake_the_lad

Mundine, if my memory serves me is the only fighter Ottke has ever KO'd. Certainly in a world championship bout. Like Beyer, Ottke is a light puncher, but they both have a decent chin and will last the distance. I don't rate either German as great, but I think Green would have a much better chance than Mundine.

What's the point, though, when neither Green, Mundine, Beyer or Ottke would get within cooee of Calzaghe? The only way I can see any of them getting their hands on the WBO SM crown is if Joe gets bored with everyone running scared (especially Ottke, the coward) and moves up to light heavyweight.

Thats before we even talk about Hopkins, he fought last month and was quite resounding in victory. Still the best middleweight in the world, even at 38. Forget Green/Mundine - what about Calzaghe/Hopkins - what a fight!

gus: hasn't Mundine been fighting in the WBA?

J

jake_the_lad

JohnF said:
It is a little sad that Calzaghe doesn't even hold one of the 3 major belts and has been denied a title shot for what seems like ages now. Too many paper champions floating around nowadays.

I think Calzaghe is easily the most complete supermiddleweight going around. Without too much exagerration he is like taking Mundine's speed, Green's power, Ottke's mobility and Beyer's chin and rolling it into one. He stopped Byron Mitchell inside two rounds, where Ottke outmoved him for 12.

If he doesn't get Ottke soon and doesn't get Jones/Hopkins either then I think it will be bye byes for super-middleweight,

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
jake_the_lad said:
Mundine, if my memory serves me is the only fighter Ottke has ever KO'd. Certainly in a world championship bout. Like Beyer, Ottke is a light puncher, but they both have a decent chin and will last the distance. I don't rate either German as great, but I think Green would have a much better chance than Mundine.

What's the point, though, when neither Green, Mundine, Beyer or Ottke would get within cooee of Calzaghe? The only way I can see any of them getting their hands on the WBO SM crown is if Joe gets bored with everyone running scared (especially Ottke, the coward) and moves up to light heavyweight.

Thats before we even talk about Hopkins, he fought last month and was quite resounding in victory. Still the best middleweight in the world, even at 38. Forget Green/Mundine - what about Calzaghe/Hopkins - what a fight!

Ottke is a light puncher, but he has knocked out a few guys in championship fights. He's knocked out Joe Gatti, Ali Ennebati and Giovanni Nardiello (hardly household names).

I think it would be an entertaining fast paced boxing exhibition between him and Joe. Joe has more power and would probably get the best of him but I wouldn't be surprised if Ottke gave a good account of himself.

As for Hopkins, I would love to see him take on Calzaghe or fight Antonio Tarver at a catchweight somewhere around the supermiddleweight mark.

I think Bernard could take both Calzaghe and Tarver at Supermiddleweight, but not without huge battles.

LMFAOO@38 years old, what a psycho!!!

Whilst we're speaking boxing, I would LOVE to see Tszyu take on Cory Spinks and be the unified welterweight and super lightweight champion. I hope Floyd Mayweather doesn't beat him to it. Tszyu will have a tough fight on his hands though with Mitchell.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
jake_the_lad said:

Jake you could very well be right there, thats why I said I stand to be corrected. Unfortutunately it has been a little hard to keep up with the real world of boxing over here in Vietnam.

Ahhhh John Kosta TSZYU now there is one hard nut. He is one of the hardest punchers around in this weight division, but more importantly can take a punch very well. He has that kill or be killed mentality. He is a superhuman in the gym and trains like no man I have ever seen before. I really wonder what it would take to stop Tszyu to be honest. Although he is getting up there in age his is still undoubtedly one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world.

It is sad that I can't even comment on Calzaghe as I have never seen him fight. We are lucky to get highlights of a world championship heavy weight title here let alone anything else..

It is refreshing to see a few obvious students of the game on here. Didn't know you were such a student of the noble sport JohnF.

Now we have opened the discussion I would be interested to hear who you guys think is the best fighter pound for pound in the world at the moment and who you consider to be the best boxer ever.

Just to inspire a bit of friendly debate.

J

jake_the_lad

gustiger12 said:
jake_the_lad said:

Now we have opened the discussion I would be interested to hear who you guys think is the best fighter pound for pound in the world at the moment and who you consider to be the best boxer ever.

Hi Gus,

Best boxer ever - obvious one is Ali, but having said that many experts rate Joe Louis as the best heavyweight of all time. Louis they say was more complete - fast, powerful hands. Great left jab, crashing Frazier-like left hook, right cross, combinations, counter punches he had it all. I would put Sugar Ray Robinson, Ali and Louis as 1, 2 and 3, but I am not going to try and put them in any order, especially as they were all before my time. Perhaps you could give it to Ali on the basis that he missed 3 years of his career at his peak, and that it was 20 years into his career before Holmes knocked him out. Love watching the "Rumble in the Jungle' fight, classic stuff.

I found this excerpt (http://coxscorner.tripod.com/heavyweights.htm)

Louis and Ali are tops. I rate Joe Louis number one because he more closely resembles the perfect fighter. He had kayo power in either hand, great hand speed, and some of the most desctructive combination punching in history. He threw every punch picture book perfect. He was a fighting machine who took advantage of any weaknesses in an opponents style, his domination of opponents that gave him trouble the first time is testimony to his greatness. Ali, had perhaps the greatest natural gifts of any boxer, but he made many mistakes, dropping his hands, leaning away from punches, he never learned how to block a jab (see Norton fights), and was vulnerable to the explosive left hook. Ali was a master of strategy against bruisers he could out-maneuver, but certain styles (Jones-Norton-for example) he could not solve, since he lacked classical technique. Louis was the more complete fighter.

Interesting fact re. Robinson - did you know that his real surname is Smith. He went up to New York from somewhere down south, and discovered boxing. Trouble was, you needed an amateur athletic license to use gyms (and I suppose a relatively unknown black kid would have had little chance in those days) so he borrowed a mates. When he started fighting he used the name on the license - Ray Robinson.

Tyson is the best fighter I have seen. Great two hands, lightning fast. Suffered a bit because his reach wasn't that of his contempories and they would employ quite defensive tactics. I don't think Lewis in his prime would stand a chance against Tyson in his prime. It is a shame for boxing that he went off the rails, because I think he had the skill and fighting mentality to become one of the true greats.

Let me get back to you on the best p.f.p. fighter at the moment.

While we are at it, what is the best fight you have seen?

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
gustiger12 said:
Ahhhh John Kosta TSZYU now there is one hard nut. He is one of the hardest punchers around in this weight division, but more importantly can take a punch very well. He has that kill or be killed mentality. He is a superhuman in the gym and trains like no man I have ever seen before. I really wonder what it would take to stop Tszyu to be honest. Although he is getting up there in age his is still undoubtedly one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world.

It is sad that I can't even comment on Calzaghe as I have never seen him fight. We are lucky to get highlights of a world championship heavy weight title here let alone anything else..

It is refreshing to see a few obvious students of the game on here. Didn't know you were such a student of the noble sport JohnF.

I fully agree Gus, Kostya is right up there in the top elechon of fighters pound for pound at the moment. The great thing about Kostya is that he is so mentally switched on, which compliments his great physical prowess. It's his level of discipline to be able to keep pushing himself where mere mortals decide to quit which has stood him in such good stead over such a long period of time. Whilst most fighters out there today are quick to talk *smile* (ala Mundine and Green) Tszyu is always a gentleman, cool, calm and focused. Tszyu just lets his fists do the talking, gets the job done and does so without the fan fare that he really deserves.

The best pound for pound fighter ever? So hard to judge these things... Sugar Ray Robinson and Ali usually get all the plaudits here, and fair enough too... Another fighter who can stake a claim to the title of being the best fighter ever pound for pound is Henry "Homicide Hank" Armstrong who fought in the 30's and 40's. This guy was rediculous! To get a picture of how this guy fought think of a miniature Mike Tyson throwing the volume of punches that Jeff Fenech would throw. Armostrong would stand toe to toe with anyone that was brave enough to stand in front of him and go about trying to impose his will on the other man. He didn't care about getting hit, he welcomed it, he would jsut stand there and clobber away knowing that he would never give in until his opponent succumbed to his barrage of punches.

What Armostrong's legend is really cemented on however is that he held 3 world titles in 3 different weight divisions simultaneously! :eek: Armostrong was best as a featherweight, but after claiming the featherweight title he decided to skip the lightweight division and jump up to welterweight where he dethroned the welterweight king of the time. Not to forget the littler guys he then jumped down to lightweight and took the lightweight title as well. He actually challenged for the Middleweight title and according to most boxing pundits he should have won the fight but lost on a points decision. If as they had said, he should have been crowned the middleweight champion, that means that he would have held titles in 4 of the 8 boxing divisions that existed at the time. And bare in mind that when we say title we dont mean any of this WBA interim belts or any crap like that; there was only one belt in each division. And also bear in mind that since then boxing has introduced about 8 or so more divisions between the weights of these 8 divisions that existed in Armstrong's era. So in effect by todays standards Armstrong would have held 7 belts (unified so really 21!) in 7 different weight divisions simultaneously!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!! THAT IS REDICULOUS!!!!! (1. featherweight, 2. super featherweight, 3. lightweight, 4. super lightweight, 5. welterweight, 6. super welterweight and 7. middleweight).

So yeah, when we are looking up the definition of pound for pound, I think there should be a picture of Henry Armstrong next to it.

The best fighter right now? Well six months ago i would have said Roy Jones Jr, easily. Probably the most athletic boxer ever to enter the ring. His skills aren't really that good, but he can beat anyone without raising a sweat on shear athletic ability. Unparralleled speed and footwork.

But age has caught up with him a bit and he looked a little shaky after the Antonio tarver fight. he was lucky to escape with a victory in that fight.

So the best at the moment would have to be floyd Mayweather. I hate the cocky bastard! But his skills can't be questioned. Great defnese and great speed.

Others knocking on the door are Manny Pacquaio who just demolised Marco Antonio Barrera :eek: and also Bernard Hopkins and Kostya Tszyu.

The best fighter I have ever seen during my lifetime is Pernell Whitaker. Whitaker was poetry in motion. Boxing is often accused of being a brutal, ugly sport - I encourage the people that make those accusations to watch Pernell fight. He hardly ever scored a knockout and his opponents struggled to lay a glove on him. His defensive game was incredible. He could stand in front of guys and let them unload everything they had without being hit at all. In his prime he hardly lost a round, let alone a fight. He made a prime Azumah Nelson look silly, he pitched a near shutout against the great Julio Caesar Chavez (who had an 87-0 record at the time!) but was robbed on the scorecards and only got a draw. Even as a 33 year old washed up coke addict he still won more rounds than he lost agaisnt a prime Oscar De La Hoya, but once again, got robbed by those moron judges.

The best fight I've ever seen? Seen lots great ones but one that sticks out is the first Roberto Duran v Sugar Ray Leonard fight. 15 furious rounds with Duran imposing his will on Leonard and escaping with a narrow margin win.