David Astbury, Thank You | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

David Astbury, Thank You

MrRuss said:
Correct. He has grown very large in the chest and shoulders area. Will take time to adjust to that. He definately has the tools to be CHF. Just give him time we will see a very good player IMHO

There is obviously some pretty serious gym work being done at this club at the moment. Post, Collins and Vickery all look stronger than they did three months ago when the season started. Even Thursfield looks like he may have put a couple of kegs on. Angus Graham looked stronger than Dean Cox yesterday. He is still a doofus but he's a powerfully-built doofus now.

Some of these younger guys are going to need some time to get used to their new bodies. A couple of weeks ago, Andy Collins looked shocked when he laid a tackle and it stuck.

TOT70 said:
BTW, the five players taken in the 2006 draft, Rievoldt, Edwards, Connors, Peterson and Collins have all been impressive on the field this year.  Four years on that strikes me as a fair effort.

Fuynny you should mention 2006. A little side note- the guy Jack blitzed at the start of the game is a serviceable Eagles player called Eric Mackenzie, taken pick 29 in the 2006 draft.

FJ was heavily on PRE from some quarters for passing up on Mackenzie but right now overall the 2006 draft looks like an absolute cracker.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Fuynny you should mention 2006. A little side note- the guy Jack blitzed at the start of the game is a serviceable Eagles player called Eric Mackenzie, taken pick 29 in the 2006 draft.

FJ was heavily on PRE from some quarters for passing up on Mackenzie but right now overall the 2006 draft looks like an absolute cracker.

The latter part of that draft, from around pick 35 to about pick 65 actually looks fantastic.

36 Alwyn Davey, 37 Todd Goldstein, 38 James Hawksley, 39 Nathan Krakouer, 40 (F/S) Josh P. Kennedy 41 (F/S) Tom Hawkins,44, Brad *smile*, 45 Brennan Stack, 46 Colin Garland ,47 Kyle Reimers, 48 David Mackay, 50 Will Schofield, 53 Lindsay Thomas, 55 Robbie Gray,57 Simon Hogan, 58 Daniel Connors, 60 Carl Peterson, 61 Josh Hill, 63 Tyson Goldsack.

Quite a few are making their mark, as well as the obvious early picks.

I just love how when Astbury gets the footy you don't *smile* your pants like when Muscles does. Just makes the right decisions. I hate to blow too early but this guy looks a footballer.

Giardiasis said:
I just love how when Astbury gets the footy you don't sh!t your pants like when Muscles does. Just makes the right decisions. I hate to blow too early but this guy looks a footballer.

Agree. Early signs are good.
Thought we would use him as a forward but looking good down back

TOT70 said:
Some of these younger guys are going to need some time to get used to their new bodies. A couple of weeks ago, Andy Collins looked shocked when he laid a tackle and it stuck.

Exactly, its 100% clear to me that Post is one who is taking time to get used to the extra weight. We just have to be patient.

Not getting a lot of it but composure is first class. Gonna be a good player. Looks ideally suited to CHB.

So if all goes well where does he play? Jack has ff sown up which I assume leaves Griffiths at CHF. Astbury to CHB? Or is a 3 tall forward line on the cards?

tigertim said:
So if all goes well where does he play? Jack has ff sown up which I assume leaves Griffiths at CHF. Astbury to CHB? Or is a 3 tall forward line on the cards?

Griff and Astbury might be another Schwarz and Neitz. (hopefully without Ox's injuries)

Griff the forward and Astbury the guy who can play back but be moved forward as well.

Astbury uses the ball quickly and positively.

To date he has looked a bit lost (just a baby) when the ball is there to contest, mostly, but when he's in the groove he looks a natural footballer and wins some leather.

We know that the panel sees him as a key back. And today he showed why.

The Sydney game was abreak out outing for our boy. He has come on much quicker than I thought he would. We might just have somebody special here. A unit, not yet furnished, with a very astute football brain, athleticism, size and a competitive heart.

A footballer. OMG.

Dyer'ere said:
Astbury uses the ball quickly and positively.

To date he has looked a bit lost (just a baby) when the ball is there to contest, mostly, but when he's in the groove he looks a natural footballer and wins some leather.

We know that the panel sees him as a key back. And today he showed why.

The Sydney game was abreak out outing for our boy. He has come on much quicker than I thought he would. We might just have somebody special here. A unit, not yet furnished, with a very astute football brain, athleticism, size and a competitive heart.

A footballer. OMG.

Indeed, its strange to see the new kids coming through that can actually kick the ball without us supporters having our heart in our mouths waiting for the turn over. It seems he and Griff are lovely kicks of the footy.

Field kicking was very good yesterday and I also saw him directing traffic in defence on a couple of occasions. He has a long way to go but there is a lot to like about him.

Thumbs up for Astbury on yesterdays game. Best he has played to date, and looks like better ones to come.

Showed that he has composure and made some good decisions under pressure.

He could become a handy forward/back switch player.

Astbury needs a new hairdo or maybe change his hair colour to black, from a distance he looks alot like Reiwoldt and is very confusing. :D