Debate of the week-Untouchables. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Debate of the week-Untouchables.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I realise that there is no such thing as an untouchable player if the right deal comes up, but all the talk here is of who will go at the end of the season.

Who does everyone think are the top 5 players we should actually keep to build the team around and why?

1- Ottens is my number 1 player to keep, unless we get another top young ruckman in his place.
Otto is younger than our other talls and is still developing.
He's has a couple of restricted seasons due to his own injuries, but also team injuries forcing him to play roles he wouldn't normally play.
A ruckman/key forward is vital to the make up of the team, so imo trading Otto would be a mistake.

2-Coughlan seems almost a fluke for Richmond. A real drafting success story.
Not only tough, but is also consistant and reliable, and a real general of the midfield.
He really gets in and does what needs to be done. He typifies everything I'd like to see in a player wearing yellow and black. Future captain.

3-Newman because I think we need to go with the youth policy if they have what it takes. Chris seems to go unheralded to a large degree but has improved heaps this year and consistantly puts in.

4-Chaff or AK. We need some toughness and consistancy in the backline. They are both rarely, if ever, beaten.
Their courage and work ethic is an exapmle for all kids to follow.

5-Rodan. He has the ability to really spark the crowd and the team. A young player who has the personality and attitude to get kids barracking for Richmond. They are our members of the future we need to guarantee Richmond remains a successful club. Future leader.

I'd add Stafford as an untouchable.

Not convinced yet about Rodan. Not sure whether he was recruited as a strong body around the clinches, but he's been disappointing in that aspect so far. Sure, he's great in space but he's yet to be the inside midfielder that some thought he might be. Would probably leave him as an untouchable though. Plenty of time for him.

Richo wouldn't be untouchable in my book, but we'd have to get a very early pick or good young KPP for him.

after the past 4 years without change on our performance, i dont think anyone on our list is untouchable with the right trade offered.

PuntRoadRoar said:
after the past 4 years without change on our performance, i dont think anyone on our list is untouchable with the right trade offered.

I agree PRR, and that's exactly what I said at the start of this thread. I just thought it would be nice to read who people would prefer not to see traded and why.

Maybe something positive about some of our players for a change.

That concept might be a bit hard to come to grips with though. Bagging seems to be a much preferred passtime for the majority on this list. ::)

Oh for a win... :eek:

untouchable without a doubt:
coughlan-our next captain.
newman-put the likes of pettiffer to shame.
krakour-some say he has been dissapointing however this kid does have talent.
ottens-will give him one more year[2004]to discard his potential tag.
richo-dispite his antics on the field he is the only "marketable" player at the club. losing him =less members.
Andy kellaway-the heart and soul of the club.
Stafford-a real suprise but has certainly impressed with his attitude both on and off the field.

Surely our captain and 4 time b&f winner is untouchable?

But if we're only talking next gen at Richmond then only Coughlan warrants the 'untouchable' tag. I'd happily part with any other player for the right price.

Agree wholeheartedly, j2r, although I'll add Tivendale.
No-one's mentioned Cambo, does that go without saying ?

To my way of thinking we need to look to the future and Campbo is a bit long in the tooth.
He's become injury prone, and I'd prefer an attacking player who can kick the ball long and direct.
Wouldn't have Campbo in my top 5 priorities. Just to show I'm not biased I wouldn't have Dunc there either......maybe 6th though. ;D

Untouchables:

Campbell
Ottens
Coughlan
Richo
Chaffey
Andy Kellaway
Johnson
Stafford
Newman
Tivva

The ones I'd persist with:
Andy Krakouer
David Rodan
Tim Flemming - because we need a mongrel
Ty Zantuck
Schulz
Sipthorp

Can I throw in Matt Shir as Rookie Promotion :-\ He's got a bit of mongrel too ;)

After that - I am open minded

rosy point taken ;D

ok here's my little input as an untouchable for going into season 2004.

i'd like to say Ottens, his injury set back this year was a big blow in seeing whether he is worth it. But although i been giving him a hard time he is worthy of building a team around.

Definately Coughlan without a doubt, he will be our future captain

Campbell for his leadership skills

Johnson has class written all over him but needs support

Chaffey so reliable and never takes a backward step

Stafford has been one of our best 3 players this year

Newman another kid with alot of potential and has shown alot this season.

the rest on our list are tradeable IMO

The only untouchables are -

Rogers
King
Houlihan
Biddiscombe
Pettifer
Hilton
Dunc

Coz no one would touch them with a ten foot pole ;D

Untouchables:

Cambo - quality onballer
Coughlan - no explanation required
Johnson - quality onballer
Stafford - versitile big man
Ottens - versitile big man
Newman - all class
AK - reliable and versitile defender who can play on either a tall or a mid-sized forward.

Keep unless a too good to refuse trade came up:

Chaffey, Krakouer, Rodan, Zantuck, Gas, Tivs

Open minded about the rest.

I'd say there's only 3 untouchable in the league, and we haven't got one. Hird, Voss & Buckley. Mcleod may also slip into this field. Rich's days of being untouchable have gone, but I think Richmond would probably ask too much, so a trade would be unlikely.
The people listed here are great, but any would go for the right trade. Imagine Collingwood trading Buckley? It would be like them selling a son! Untouchables are usually more to do with sentiment and symbolism than skills and abilities.

No one is safe.........

If you had to pick 5 and 5 only to keep they would have to be

Ottens - Just remember he is only 23 years old.
Johnson - Class and he is only 25
Coughlan - Need I say more
Gaspar - We paid enough for him
Richo - just for that factor that one day he may 'put it all together'. He has a couple of years left.

The frustrating thing is that you throw in there Holland, Newman, Campbell, Stafford, Rodan, Kellaway then you have a good base, get em all fit and you have a strong base.

I'd give Hilton one last year, maybe make him a forward

Its time to go.....Rogers,King,Biddiscombe, Houlihan, Pettifer, Mills, Hyde,

We must have no passengers.

As for Bowden......Trade him for a greyhound, at least they chase

Re : Buckley.....I dont believe that he would be untouchable because of sentiment and symbolism....I think he has more then made his mark on the competition and is not tradeable because his value as a player, leader and quality of person that he is.

If Mick Malthouse thought he was tradeable trust me he would be gawn by now....not much sentiment in Malthouse's coaching manual.