A vital Cog in the Tiger team (rfc site) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A vital Cog in the Tiger team (rfc site)

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval
A vital Cog in the Tiger team
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au
11:53:44 AM Thu 17 July, 2003

Rising Richmond midfield star Mark Coughlan further enhanced his reputation with an outstanding last-quarter effort against Geelong at Telstra Dome last Saturday.

Coughlan was the catalyst behind the Tigers' bold fightback, which saw them come from 26 points down early in the final term to hit the front, only to be pipped at the post again by four points.

The 21-year-old had an amazing 14 'touches' during the last half-hour of the match (6 kicks, 8 handballs) and slotted through an inspirational left-foot goal which sent the Tiger barrackers into raptures.

He was everywhere in that final quarter, repeatedly clearing the ball from the crucial centre-bounces and then running relentlessly to gather possessions, seemingly at will, all over the field.

Coughlan's stats for the whole match were 14 kicks, six marks, 18 handballs, seven clearances, four tackles and one goal. So impressive was 'Cogs' that former Richmond coach and now widely-respected football commentator, Robert Walls, said on radio station 3AW the next day that he, alone, was good enough reason for Tiger supporters to get along to the team's matches for the rest of the '03 season -- despite the disappointing recent run of losses.

Richmond's former midfield dynamo, current Club Player Development Manager and Tiger team runner, Dale Weightman, is another huge Mark Coughlan fan.

"What I like about him is he's so hard," Weightman said.

"He's one of those boys that you look at and you say, 'Geez, I'd love him to be playing next to me, because he can actually win his own ball . . . crunch in there and win it hard. He'd be fantastic to play alongside."

Weightman described Coughlan's capacity to absorb punishment as a decided asset.

"He doesn't know what the pain barrier is -- he just keeps working and working," Weightman said.

"There's been a couple of times this year when I've seen him get crunched and concussed. You run out to see how he is and he just says, 'No, I'm right'. It's that 'there's nothing wrong here' attitude which I really like about him."

Weightman is convinced Coughlan has the 'right stuff' to carve out an extremely successful career at Punt Road.

"I reckon he's got all the attributes to one day captain the Club," Weightman said.

"He actually already displays pretty good leadership-type skills, he's very hard at it, and he does everything right. All in all, he's a real shining light for us . . .

And, so say the Richmond supporters, who have again catapulted Coughlan into the lead for the Prime Advice Tiger Player of the Year Award.

Cogs captured the fans' choice award in its inaugural year in 2002 and, as we enter the business end of the '03 season, is poised to go back-to-back.

At the end of Round 14 (with Round 15 votes not yet tallied), Cogs, on 17, had shot five votes clear of his nearest rivals -- injured skipper Wayne Campbell, Greg Tivendale and Kane Johnson, all on 12. Then came Chris Newman and Matthew Richardson with six votes, while Greg Stafford had five.

With Coughlan almost certain to grab another three votes for his excellent display against the Cats last weekend, it's hard to see any Tiger stopping his surge to another Prime Advice title.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Trust you to post this one TG.

This article really highlights why we MUST not trade COGS for JUDD. As much as I would love to have JUDD it must not be at the expense of COGS.

JUDD is a highly skilled running midfielder which we desperately need, but COGS is a very hard at it in and under TOUGH midfielder which is what we need even more. Cogs has the qualities that do not grow on trees and is a future leader of the club.

Go after JUDD by all means, but not at the expense of Cogs who is probably our best prospect in years.

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval
gustiger12 said:
Trust you to post this one TG.
What? I'm Innocent! :rollin
Well said Gus I agree with you (and not just because I reckon Cogs is a spunk lol). Would love to have Judd playing for us, but Cogs is one of the few good players we've got so we have to hang onto him (and for all the reasons Gus mentioned). The kid tries his heart out week in, week out he's the kind of player we need to hang onto. The way he goes about his footy is incredible he sets a good example for the rest of the players unfortunately they dont seem to be watching at the moment.

P

PuntRoadRoar

yeah i'd have to agree, over the past few weeks i was pretty vocal in saying we should recruit other teams top midfielders such as N.Stevens or Judd, but im starting to change my view.

I think richmond should hold onto all our picks and not give anything to anyone, drop our rejects recruit the new kids and start from scratch. With "Miller Time" leading the recruiting charge atleast we wont have to worry about Beck picking dud players like in the past years.

I think the only time Richmond should trade a player for another player is if they do a "Des Headland" and want to go home, then thats different, we need a player decent enough to swap with so we dont lose out.

Start our new era tiges...... but our next 2 - 3 years will be tough in the process, but hey after 20 odd years whose counting ;D

GO TIGES!!!!

cogs_is_sexy24

Tiger Rookie
Jul 12, 2003
Melbourne
if anyone watched the game last night, you would've seen cogs' dedication for the team. twice during the game, while he was playing, hit boot fell off. now, most players would stop what they were doing, and retrieve their boot. but mark kept on playing, and he was running around for ages in just a sock on one of his feet. no way was he gonna stop just to put his boot back on...he just kept on running and chasing the ball from one end to the other - the boot was the last of his worries. the second time it came off, it took at least 5 minutes until the runner caught up to mark to give him back his boot (for the 2nd time) - that's shows despiration and dedication from cogs.