Defensive Dimma | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Defensive Dimma

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Defensive Dimma

Av Scores against per game by season

Edit: now with %

2010 - 107. 73%

2011 - 109. 86%

2012 - 88. 111

2013 - 81. 122

2014 - 83. 105

2015 - 73. 123

2016 - 98. 79

2017 - 74. 118

2018 - 72. 136

2019 - 73. 113

2020 - 52. 129

2021 - 81. 97

2022 - 81. 121

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Looking at the stats we need to get our defence to stop another 1- 2 goals a game.

Reactions: 2 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Interesting that our defence level is back to the elimination finals days of 2013 ……

That shows where we are at - bottom 8 side that exits finals early.

The fact we couldn’t defend a 4 pt lead with less than 2 minutes on the clock is testament to a defence that can’t stop the opposition scoring a goal - the story of our season.

Reactions: 5 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Shootout Dimma was a bit of a desperation play. Defence first was failing so he tried to build wins around Lynch, Bolton, Riewoldt and co. Good try but I think Dimma will go back to first principles on his reload.

Tarrant has been OK but he is too slow to play defence in our team. We reshuffle defenders constantly as Vlastuin, Grimes, Balta and Rioli take risks and run to dangerous areas. Broad, McIntosh, Pickett and Baker sprint back to cover them. Tarrant is all at sea in that kind of revolving back line. He is more comfortable being accountable for his man. Until we find a much quicker gorilla-stopper, this will keep happening.

Reactions: 3 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The effect of Grimes' injury concerns this season have been under estimated. Our best defender didn't get a decent run with it all year. Even when he played he didn't look right.

Reactions: 9 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Interesting that our defence level is back to the elimination finals days of 2013 ……

That shows where we are at - bottom 8 side that exits finals early.

The fact we couldn’t defend a 4 pt lead with less than 2 minutes on the clock is testament to a defence that can’t stop the opposition scoring a goal - the story of our season.
Yes but that particular goal was an absolute shocker - plenty of players got back to defend and then got in each others' way for a comedic outcome.

Our defensive coach in 2023 could start off by re-training our guys not to all jump for the air-ball leaving no one down for the spilled ball defensive side. Happened often this year.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
last night showed where you gotta be.

we need to tighten up 2-3 goals a game to be a serious threat.

Reactions: 3 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
last night showed where you gotta be.

we need to tighten up 2-3 goals a game to be a serious threat.
Might have reminded some posters not to get carried away looking ahead to a run of winning finals leading to more flag glory too.

Forgetting the old mantra - one game at a time! :D

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Our manic tackle pressure when we are playing well and turn the screws - it didn't come the other night

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Great thread.

Personally I think this issue is less than 50% about actual defenders and more so about defensive mids, 2 way running and defensive pressure around the ground.

Reactions: 4 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Shootout Dimma was a bit of a desperation play. Defence first was failing so he tried to build wins around Lynch, Bolton, Riewoldt and co. Good try but I think Dimma will go back to first principles on his reload.

Tarrant has been OK but he is too slow to play defence in our team. We reshuffle defenders constantly as Vlastuin, Grimes, Balta and Rioli take risks and run to dangerous areas. Broad, McIntosh, Pickett and Baker sprint back to cover them. Tarrant is all at sea in that kind of revolving back line. He is more comfortable being accountable for his man. Until we find a much quicker gorilla-stopper, this will keep happening.
I thought that Ben Miller, with a bit of self confidence could do the Tarrant job well as he has all the required attributes and maybe he still will even though in the last few games he has done really well as a second ruck / resting forward and mop-up at the back when required.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Great thread.

Personally I think this issue is less than 50% about actual defenders and more so about defensive mids, 2 way running and defensive pressure around the ground.
Definitely some truth in that. From their last kick in to Bailey marking 50 out the Lions won the lopse ball 3 or 4 times and were able to kick it forward under little pressure. That was the story of the game.

Cooper O'Reilly

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 5, 2021
The game is trending towards a more attacking style. Even Geelong have adopted a quicker more aggressive style.

Six, six, six and stand rules make it harder for teams to defend placing more emphasis on having midfielders who will run defensively

Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
The effect of Grimes' injury concerns this season have been under estimated. Our best defender didn't get a decent run with it all year. Even when he played he didn't look right.
Had an ordinary season to be honest never looked completely settled be it fitness or other reasons.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
We were worse when Grimes was playing.
Grimes played in the nth, Gc & Sydney losses
He looked sooo disinterested this year.
I'm still waiting to see if he pulls the pin next week.

Reactions: 1 user

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
Lets hope we get Truck back as weve lost so much coaching and development over past few years.

Having Truck and hopefully Teague as well as Lambo i can see lots of development and improvements.

Feeling Tigerish

Tiger Champion
Apr 11, 2009
Our manic tackle pressure when we are playing well and turn the screws - it didn't come the other night
agree, we need to get our pressure back to 17 - 20 levels. pies and sydney have the best pressure games at the moment. we need to get it back there

also we need to get our defenders to be better one on one, we getting exposed when center clearance doesnt go our way