Serenity now | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Serenity now

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
I have been fuming for about 16 hours now.

Woke up at four a.m., drenched in fury sweat, with my pillow in a headlock. Daniher's face flicking through my torpor.

Had to stop myself from kicking my cat this morning because it reminded me of Tom Stewart, by virtue of being both a cat and an *smile*.
Period 2, I gave a student a detention because he said the score review system worked perfectly last night.

And then, about ten minutes ago, my rage just imploded. Collapsed in on itself like a white hot star depleted of hydrogen.

I started to think about the implications of last night. The reality. The future. A feeling of serenity eased itself into my sleep deprived stupor. Why?

I think it's a combination of things. Here are some positives for the tiger army. Use them to temper your frustration. Add your own to share.

1. Sonsie, Ross, MRJ all got to taste finals action, and each showed something. None played 4 quarters of finals footy, but all demonstrated ability at the standard.

Ross backed into a marking contest and crunched a key opposition player. Got his hands free in tackles. Used the ball well. Kept running.
MRJ harassed. Tackled. Danced. Earned turnover. Capitalised. Put the fear of magic into his opponents.
Sonsie was clean. Tough. Dominated disposal, and effectively, for a half of an elimination final.

Their average age is 20. They were three of our 5 best players to half time.

2. Those who didn't perform, got to see where the standard is. Cumberland and Gibcus know where they need to be. They'll burn for it. Yearn to step up. I see shades of 2013 Houli/Edwards/Cotchin. But with a few more years up their sleeves. The finals footy addiction remains unsated.

3. We got to see one of the best finals performers of the last 10 years strut his stuff for maybe the last time. Jack's goals were impossible, and haven't been talked about enough. 3 bombs. 3 critical moments. Three goals. Clutch is one word. Hero is another.

4. We burned up Brisbane. We can all take some solace in their impending doom. We can thank Rossy for taking out their ruckman. They'll spend the weekend in Nirvana, but will plummet to earth next week.

5. Related to Four, but we would not have got through next week. No Prestia, No grimes, backline a mess, ruckman deficient, players out of form, champs holding on and in the end it just wasn't our year. We've had a brilliant run. And we legitimately have a future.

6. This was a rebuild year. Tactically, and in terms of personnel. Finals were always a bonus. And we have rebuilt on the run. We will be better for it.

7. We are not Essendon.

Which, on it's own, is something worthy of our gratitude. But we also didn't need a finals win. It would have been brilliant. But we have 3 premierships to fall back on, and finals to win next year. As dirty as it feels in my mouth, I see us more like Geelong. They lose finals all the time, and maintain respect and competitiveness. We can be proud of our club.

.... and, in the end... it probably was a behind.

So what else do you feel good about PREnders? How are you dealing with the fury?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 24 users

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007

Woke up at four a.m., drenched in fury sweat, with my pillow in a headlock. Daniher's face flicking through my torpor.

Had to stop myself from kicking my cat this morning because it reminded me of Tom Stewart, by virtue of being both a cat and an *smile*.
Period 2, I gave a student a detention because he said the score review system worked perfectly last night.

And then, about ten minutes ago, my rage just imploded. Collapsed in on itself like a white hot star depleted of hydrogen.

I started to think about the implications of last night. The reality. The future. A feeling of serenity eased itself into my sleep deprived stupor. Why?

I think it's a combination of things. Here are some positives for the tiger army. Use them to temper your frustration. Add your own to share.

1. Sonsie, Ross, MRJ all got to taste finals action, and each showed something. None played 4 quarters of finals footy, but all demonstrated ability at the standard.

Ross backed into a marking contest and crunched a key opposition player. Got his hands free in tackles. Used the ball well. Kept running.
MRJ harassed. Tackled. Danced. Earned turnover. Capitalised. Put the fear of magic into his opponents.
Sonsie was clean. Tough. Dominated disposal, and effectively, for a half of an elimination final.

2. Those who didn't perform, got to see where the standard is. Cumberland and Gibcus know where they need to be. They'll burn for it. Yearn to step up. I see shades of 2013 Houli/Edwards/Cotchin. But with a few more years up their sleeves. The finals footy addiction remains unsated.

3. We got to see one of the best finals performers of the last 10 years strut his stuff for maybe the last time. Jack's goals were impossible, and haven't been talked about enough. 3 bombs. 3 critical moments. Three goals. Clutch is one word. Hero is another.

4. We burned up Brisbane. We can all take some solace in their impending doom. We can thank Rossy for taking out their ruckman. They'll spend the weekend in Nirvana, but will plummet to earth next week.

5. Related to Four, but we would not have got through next week. No Prestia, No grimes, backline a mess, ruckman deficient, players out of form, champs holding on and in the end it just wasn't our year. We've had a brilliant run. And we legitimately have a future.

6. This was a rebuild year. Tactically, and in terms of personnel. Finals were always a bonus. And we have rebuilt on the run. We will be better for it.

So what else do you feel good about PREnders? How are you dealing with the fury?
Everything went wrong, and I mean everything, all year - right up to Collingwood stealing it off Carlton. We play Collingwood at the G we win

Reactions: 3 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
Everything went wrong, and I mean everything, all year - right up to Collingowwod stealing it off Carlton. We play Collingwood at the G we win
Yep.

It was a solid showing for a year spent suffering the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.

Reactions: 1 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

It was a year of what could have been. The close losses killed us. In all reality we should be sitting in the top 4.
But the future is bright. The kids are there. The talent is there. Now let’s get aggressive at the trade table.

Reactions: 2 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The London was absolutely rocking last night. Result didn't go our way but what an incredible atmosphere full of rabid yellow & black Tigers.

Footy is more about the company than the game these days for me.

Reactions: 8 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
As I said in the game day thread, I was over it before I left the ground, for all the reasons you state, Burger. Ant and Mops and I gave our all in fury up to the siren, then a bit more for the umps as they walked off in front of us, then we all went, oh well, c'est la vie.

We have an exciting crop of kids coming through. Several of them got a taste last night and several more will have watched on eager to get theirs next year. Our holes are obvious and Blair will be all over it. Taranto, maybe Hopper too. A forward to succeed the great Jackmond would be nice (none can replace). (Treacy has been mentioned. Don't mind it.)

Shedda rode off into the sunset. Jack and Cotch won't be too far behind. Dusty, Grimes and Dion are looking mortal. They're all legends of the club, it'll take time to find players of their ilk - maybe we never will get that mix of talent and chemistry. But we thought Rance was irreplaceable then won two more flags.

We're in transition. But the club is strong, and we could yet steal another one in the meantime.

Reactions: 12 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
The London was absolutely rocking last night. Result didn't go our way but what an incredible atmosphere full of rabid yellow & black Tigers.

Footy is more about the company than the game these days for me.
Bit like the choir Tiger fans chanting our song after the 1995 PF loss to the Pussies at Waverley? I woz dare.

Last edited:

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
As I said in the game day thread, I was over it before I left the ground, for all the reasons you state, Burger. Ant and Mops and I gave our all in fury up to the siren, then a bit more for the umps as they walked off in front of us, then we all went, oh well, c'est la vie.

We have an exciting crop of kids coming through. Several of them got a taste last night and several more will have watched on eager to get theirs next year. Our holes are obvious and Blair will be all over it. Taranto, maybe Hopper too. A forward to succeed the great Jackmond would be nice (none can replace). (Treacy has been mentioned. Don't mind it.)

Shedda rode off into the sunset. Jack and Cotch won't be too far behind. Dusty, Grimes and Dion are looking mortal. They're all legends of the club, it'll take time to find players of their ilk - maybe we never will get that mix of talent and chemistry. But we thought Rance was irreplaceable then won two more flags.

We're in transition. But the club is strong, and we could yet steal another one in the meantime.
It fills me with joy to know there was a contingent of PRE there ripping in to those cheating green flogs.

Reactions: 1 user

MalenyTiger

Tiger Superstar
Jan 27, 2005
I was fuming when the siren went. I just wanted to leave the ground as I hate Brisbane and their horrible song and can't stand their drunken fans who act like they've won a premiership when they beat Richmond. They say really stupid things (probably like most fans do, but the big mouth who was raving on and on about how hopeless Dusty was really adding to my ire). Living on the Sunshine Coast I had driven to Chermside and bussed it to the game, all very convenient and time saving on the trip to the game. However, going home it was an hour wait for the bus at the Gabba, another 30 mins by bus back to Chermside, then another 1.5 hours drive home after paying $36 for parking at the shopping centre!!! All this time I just kept seeing Lynch's goal overturned, I kept seeing our numerous unforced errors, and poor plays (particulalry the not-killing the ball allowing Daniher to score in the last minute)... and my seething was growing. I kept hearing that horrible Brisbane song ringing in my ears and I just wanted to get home and have a shower, to cleanse myself of this really bad experience. Got home after 1pm. I wanted go to sleep and get some respite from this but sleep didn't come, I tossed and turned about the Lynch non-goal. Sorry I'm still fuming. I vowed never to go to the gabba again. This will take some time to get over....

Reactions: 8 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
No we don't. If we couldn't beat Brisbane with 3 of there best 22 missing we weren't beating Collingwood
Everything went wrong, and I mean everything, all year - right up to Collingwood stealing it off Carlton. We play Collingwood at the G we win

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I was fuming when the siren went. I just wanted to leave the ground as I hate Brisbane and their horrible song and can't stand their drunken fans who act like they've won a premiership when they beat Richmond. They say really stupid things (probably like most fans do, but the big mouth who was raving on and on about how hopeless Dusty was really adding to my ire). Living on the Sunshine Coast I had driven to Chermside and bussed it to the game, all very convenient and time saving on the trip to the game. However, going home it was an hour wait for the bus at the Gabba, another 30 mins by bus back to Chermside, then another 1.5 hours drive home after paying $36 for parking at the shopping centre!!! All this time I just kept seeing Lynch's goal overturned, I kept seeing our numerous unforced errors, and poor plays (particulalry the not-killing the ball allowing Daniher to score in the last minute)... and my seething was growing. I kept hearing that horrible Brisbane song ringing in my ears and I just wanted to get home and have a shower, to cleanse myself of this really bad experience. Got home after 1pm. I wanted go to sleep and get some respite from this but sleep didn't come, I tossed and turned about the Lynch non-goal. Sorry I'm still fuming. I vowed never to go to the gabba again. This will take some time to get over....
Traffic on the way in meant it took me three hours to get to the car park ($14) in West End, then walked half an hour to met Ant at the Nash. Walked back to the car after the game, stopped at a servo for a sausage roll, home at 1.30am. On top of a two-hour nerve-settling walk yesterday morning, reckon I walked 20k for the day. Five hours sleep. Tired today.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

I don't feel any fury, it's just a game of footy, but I certainly feel good about our prospects next year.

Fact is, we torched this season by not finishing multiple games we should have won. We are clearly a top four side on talent and if we finished games like Collingwood we would be premiers.

The other thing in our favour is what list managers call list balance. Your list balance can be positive or negative and changes each year.

For example, if you are starting a rebuild and you cut experienced, capable players for draftees you list goes negative and then as your draftees develop it goes positive again.

The trick is after your list peaks at positive to try and minimise the negative. In our case we are losing players who had lost some impact but the young talent is compensating so the needle is moving positive. The future is bright.

Reactions: 11 users

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Good post Coburger.
We all need some serenity.
Serenity now, Serenity now.
George at his best. His Dad Frank, and Lloyd Braun taking phone calls despite landline not being connected! Classic.

And then I remind myself we got beaten by two suburban hack footballers in Hopwood and Joe The Moe.

And The Serenity is gone.

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
Years of Tiger disappointments have taught me there’s no point dwelling on it. The lads tried their heart out and fell just short. We can ask for no more than that really.

It probably helps that we have 3 recent flags to look back on though. Without that last night would definitely burn more.

kevbokev

Tiger Rookie
Jan 15, 2009
Hey it's just a game of footy!! As I had to keep telling myself at 3 in the morning!