Delist , who should stay ,go etc | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Delist , who should stay ,go etc

cooltiger

Tiger Superstar
Sep 4, 2003
Hi

It' s that time of the year when interest falls on the draft ,trades and delistings .Esp when there are no Tigers in the finals again :-(
I agreed with most things Jon Anderson pointed out in hes Heradls Sun artical yesterday
I did agree with delisting King,Houlahan,Pettifer,Biddericumbe,Vardy..I would add Rodgers to that list..Hilton , Fleming and Nichols Maybe

Roden,Krackour, Shultz, Mc Grath etc are players we need to keep and develop as they have a lot of potential.

I'm not sure about the Danny ?

But its important we get the draft and trades right this year after some very poor efforts over the past 4 years

I am not sure whether this has been mentioned on this site before but have we considered that Krakeour, McGrath and to a lesser extent David Rodan are all similar opportunistic type goal sneak players.

I know that Rodan is handy when he is utilised as a rover but he spends a bit of time in the forward line as well.

Is it realistic for the club to be trying to develop 3 very similar types of players in the team or should we be looking at trading one of them?

Roden I believe will become more of a rover over time ..he's only 19 Mcgrath I think will develop into a half forward as he is a lot taller than Krackour who I think will always be a foward pocket .

Rodan to me is a show pony....who gets caught with the ball all to often.....he is however a young player and need to persist for now...they have to many duds to mention including the potatoe farmer himself.....they need to cut a swathe through that list and then do the same next year......I would suggest all you ferals take advantage of the cheap overcoat sales this summer as next year it appears is looming yet another long cold winter

Laff , your assessment is spot on as usual. David Rodan is a show pony .
He alone probably cost us winning two games as he was trying to be a smart arse.
And his version of Tunnel Ball against Port was a disgrace ;)
There is a very very cold winter ahead in 2004.
Do worry about the ferral buying coats, they just wont turn up anyway .
As for trade day, not SOON enough.
We can only hope that lockers 12,16,11,1,3,7,8,19,20,21, 22,26,34,44, are all empty the day after,it would be like winning Tattslotto.
Does anyone want to put in for a system 15 in this sats draw. ;D
Using the above numbers of course

This is my first post for a long time, and lets be serious.

Players of the ilk of Rogers, D Kellaway, King, Houlihan, Vardy and Pettifer will go , but we will get nothing for them. Others which should be chopped include

Bidders, Fleming, Nicholls, and obviously Cameron.

But again we will get nothing for them.

Thats why we have to upset the apple cart.

Hilton - gone, trade to a Sydney for a Vic youngster who wants to come home. As much as Rory is a good bloke, and the players like him, he fails to deliver for a number 1 pick in the draft (at Brisbane).

Rogers - Time to trade on to Carlton, who would find use for this bloke. He is a smart footballer, but doesnt fit the gameplan anymore at the tigers.

Fiora - One of the SA sides will want him, Tigers have to get something for him. But I do not believe he will ever BULK up and as a result should not be playing for the Tigers.

Zantuck- I have disagreed with myself here, but Ty is probably too bulked up (in his own mind anyway). He will appeal to clubs like Melbourne, and Nth, and I would like to see him go. His skill errors and work ethic (acting as a hitman) gave away too many free kicks and lost us crucial decisions throughout the season. He can play, thats why clubs will find him useful.

Tivendale. Am still a fan of this bloke, but he is a realistic "young prospect" for a finals side who may "pay too much" for him.
One good year in four is not a return we should invest in at Richmond.

Hyde/Mills/Newman. - I believe all these blokes can play footy, and have potential futures at the Tigers, but if any other clubs sniff around and there is decent talent about, then we must look and getting rid of at least one.

And finally

Richo or Holland. - Unfortunately I think this is a year too late for either player. They are both stars, but both would say they have underperformed for the club due to injury and a lack of consistency in their skills. Dont get rid of both.

If Carlton or Melbourne gave us a few low picks, then we would have to consider this move.

I know some on this Forum will disagree with some of my suggestions, but ignorance to these issues breeds complacency, and I am one Tigers supporter sick to death of our non success.

London Tiger

So that would leave us with 12 draft picks? Not exactly my idea of what I am after. WIll be a small number of delistings and one or two trades.

I would delist the following: Nicholls, Mills, Houlihan, King, Biddiscombe. Jsut by delisting these guys we haev 9 draft picks incl. Tom Roach. Wouldnt want more than that otherwise too much youth and not enough experience. Toom uch youth is not a good thing.

Vardy needs ot be kept due to our lack of depth of talls. This is the main reason we should keep him. He is not a bad player, not a great palyer either but I dont think he should be delisted.

HIlton if we can trade him we should.

Bowden we should trade for something worthwhile aswell ie high pick adn fringe player.

I agree with trading Bowden...rather than richo I think its too late to trade Richo and he is under contract also .

We had a discussion at work today with a few for my Tiger workmates. We decided that Bowden and Holland should be traded we still can ...Holland is paid way to much for what he gives us..

Lets get rid of of 8-9 players (most of the names we have already talked about)Bidders, Houliahan , Pettifer , Fleming, Vardy, Nichols ,Mills ...Maybe Hyde and Dragga we might even get a draft pick for Rodgers to Adelaide or maybe one for Hilton.

Build the team around our younger players Ottens , Roden ,Zantuk,Newman,Shultz,Coughlan, etc

With the coach ..well most of my workmates wanted to sack spud as he has does not look like the coach to rebuild the club (look at how Collingwood has done in the .. last four years when Spud took over Richmond we were 9th and Collingwood were bottom and we have gone backwards where Collingwood have become a force) and replace him will Wallace

And give Wallace the job of rebuilding the team over the next 5 years etc (at least Wallace has played for Richmond)

As for Roden we all think he is a class youngster with heaps of flair sometimes he tires too much and gets caught ..but he has talent, pace and has a go and will get better ..he's only 19! Many players drafted last year are yet to play an AFL match let alone 44..We all think he will make a great rover... it might take another 2 years ..and some good coahing. However the all the tigers need good developmet.

We also discussed that geting victorian youngsters was a better long term plan as they dont want to go back home to SA or WA and we dont have to pay way to much to keep them like in the case of Holland, Rodgers, *smile* etc in the past

cooltiger said:
And give Wallace the job of rebuilding the team over the next 5 years etc (at least Wallace has played for Richmond)

As for Roden we all think he is a class youngster with heaps of flair sometimes he tires too much and gets caught ..but he has talent, pace and has a go and will get better ..he's only 19! Many players drafted last year are yet to play an AFL match let alone 44..We all think he will make a great rover... it might take another 2 years ..and some good coahing. However the all the tigers need good developmet.

I agree with you 100% here CT. WALLACE is obviously a class coach who has played in a Premiership and taken an ordinary list very close on more than one occasion. With the support Tigerland could offer him I believe he could build a very good list in 3 years if he was given the opportunity to recruit the support staff he wanted.

He is a coach who is high on skill and encourages attacking football.

Even if we wait another year or two I can't see a better credentialled coach coming available. The only real question should be does he want the job.

As you say RODAN is only 19 and I think we all tend to forget this sometimes. He has time on his side and there aren't many 19 year olds who have already clocked up 44 games.

Would rather see him trying to take them on and making the occassional mistakes than falling back into this stop start style of game we seem to have adopted.

it was interesting reading yesterdays day about Richmond is going to delist some of the unworthy players.

However, it mentioned that the club wouldnt delist these players until after the trade period.

It was about the smartest thing our recruiting staff have actually done in a long time.

Let's see first if we can get anything for some of the duds on our list.

Good bye Pettifer, Bidders, King & the rest of the duds

There is a strong rumour going round that plough is comming to Richmond ...there are even post on the rumour file about it..However MMM footy today said Spud was staying?Bowden going to the Bulldogs for a pick or Nathan Brown is another rumour going around?

cooltiger said:
There is a strong rumour going round that plough is comming to Richmond ...there are even post on the rumour file about it..However MMM footy today said Spud was staying?Bowden going to the Bulldogs for a pick or Nathan Brown is another rumour going around?
Lets hope we get it right with delisting and recruiting this year..remember the Swans finsihed 13th last year and look what they have achived this year with getting rid of duds recuting the right players and an greeting a better coach

Well I have on big footy and boy there is a lot of left field ideas about trades there. Also most from other clubs only rate Bowden worth as only a round 3m aybe a 2nd draft pick :-(
I do think we will be trading Bowden , AlsoStafford to Stkilda for a pick and a good young player might have some merit. I would trade Holland and Hilton .

Dont know if Brown is the sort of player we need?
Think he will go to Carlton . Stevens is a good player but not good with the hard ball. Would like to see the Tigers go after Bartells from Geelong as he is hard at the ball the type of player we need.

what do you think?

shawry said:
I like Bartel. Would depend what htey ask if the decision was mine.

Bartel is out of contract. So, I would think that unless Geelong want to risk getting nothing for him, James/the Club he goes to will have a little more bargaining power than if he was just up for trade.