young blokes | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

young blokes

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Howdy,
first time I've been here and can I say it gladdens my heart to see that there is a broad consensus that we've gotta go with the young blokes. Draft, draft and draft again I say. Look at our few good players, all of 'em except Gaspar and Johnson (who we knew were good) were developed by us through the draft or supp list (Coughlan, Newman, Ottens, AK, Campbell) All the bums were fringe players or rejects from other clubs. In spite of this we have repeatedly passed on lower picks. This hasn't worked, go with the young blokes. I don't care if success takes a while to come(well I do but you know what I'm trying to say).

This year I reckon try and get a good established player (Stevens, Power) but NOT at the expense of an early pick, maybe punt on a young reject (Jacobs, Scotland), but ONLY if it costs us bugger-all, then trade for picks and draft 7 young blokes.

Becks and Mr Potato Head have gotta be on thin ice by jingo.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Gidday Mr Roar,
yep thats me. I co-produce a website called Puntroad.com that Rosie has a link to. Rhett Bartlett also posted my pretty snakey assessment of the list on his site last week. I reckon us fans have gotta send a message to the Club any way we can that drafting fringe or reject players for an attempted short term fix will not work and has only damaged us long term. I mean what is it gunna take. Look at the top sides, generally speaking, most of their players are big, fast and can kick.

By way of illustration of the differences between us and the top sides, look at Caracella. If we had got him last year he would have walked into the side and played every game and been in the best in a losing side most weeks. As it was he went to the premiers, played a couple of OK games before Matthews said "Run and skill is all very well, but you've gotta get tougher to make this side" and back to the seconds he went.

As the Herald Sun magazine said 'something's gotta give.'

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
tigersnake said:
This year I reckon try and get a good established player (Stevens, Power) but NOT at the expense of an early pick,

Welcome aboard Tigersnake. I have no idea how you would expect to get a Stevens or a Power without giving up an early pick or an untouchable. Unfortunately Brisbane or Port aren't going to give players of that quality away that easily and there will be fierce competition from other clubs.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Young Tiger said:
Welcome aboard Tigersnake. I have no idea how you would expect to get a Stevens or a Power without giving up an early pick or an untouchable. Unfortunately Brisbane or Port aren't going to give players of that quality away that easily and there will be fierce competition from other clubs.

I don't care, after watching POWER tonight for the Lions we should go after him hard. Great run out of the backline tonight and excellent disposal

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
G'day tigersnake, your site rocks!

Agree about Luke Power gus. I'd take him over Stevens in a heartbeat and I'd give our first round draft pick to do it. Still young, and definitely a gun.

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
Gus,

My post was in response to the original submission which stated that we should target a Stevens or a Power but that we should not give up an early draft pick to get that player.

To me this is unrealistic. It would be almost impossible to get a player of this quality without giving up an early draft pick.

The bottom line is that it is difficult to have our cake and eat it to. It is virtually impossible to recruit quality players that are already established at AFL level such as Power or Stevens and at the same time be able to recruit some of the best young talent going around from our best draft picks.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Roar34 said:
Welcome, Tigersnake, a bit of added venom to our site.
Yeah welcome Tigersnake, go easy on the venom hey! they tell me the easiest way to avoid a tigersnake bite is to use a 12gauge ;D ;D ;Dor maybe stay right out of the jungle!

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
As this thread is about "Young Blokes", has anyone seen the Beck article in The Fighting Tiger re this year's draft?

He highlights eight U-18s who won All-Australian selection this year, does anyone have any news on those mentioned and what would our chances be of getting one or more?

Adam Cooney, SA;
Kane Tenace , Murray Bushrangers;
Ryley Dunn, Murray Bushrangers;
Farren Ray, WA [light-framed];
Kepler Bradley, WA, ruck/utility;
Josh Willoughby, Glenelg, SA;
Luke Herrington, Vic Metro;
Brock McLean, Vic Metro.

Some of these may have been mentioned in another thread.

pmacca24

I'm a llama!
Sep 8, 2003
Got to offload either Holland, Richo and Bowden. Or a package inc. Holland and Bowden to the Dogs or Demons for their First Pick, then we can use this pick to pick up Power, Stevens or Brown. (Power particularly). These other two are a little soft in my opinion. Colin Sylvia or Kane Tenace would be an ideal pickup for us, they are both ready to play immediately. Our midfield would then consist of Cogs, Kane, Power, Rodan, Campbell, Sylvia. Plus peripheral Flankers i.e Blumfield, Tivendale, , Fiora, Chaffey, Newman, Zantuck etc etc. Later picks should be used particularly on taller Defenders and a Rookie Ruckman. But that's just me!!

Dr Mad

I'm a llama!
Aug 17, 2003
I was wondering if anyone was aware that we have not had 2 picks in the top 20 of the national draft since 1989 which totally explains Richmond's recruiting philosophy.Hopefully that can change this year and we can get 4 picks in the top 20-30 with Holland and Bowden as the bait.If we have 4 picks in the top 20-30 and pick up kids with those picks plus Thomas Roach then we can 5 kids and then we can go for the 'feared' recycled players.Richmond's recruiting history suggests that's got no chance but we can dream can't we.

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
Interesting points Dr Mad and a good idea (in theory atleast) I reckon to go for the best young kids available with your early picks and then you can try your recycled players when the draft thins out down at pick 60 or so.

Given that we are two short on our list, the club is going to have to top it up with some players from the lower end of the scale. It will be interesting to see what eventuates.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Young Tiger said:
Gus,

My post was in response to the original submission which stated that we should target a Stevens or a Power but that we should not give up an early draft pick to get that player.

To me this is unrealistic. It would be almost impossible to get a player of this quality without giving up an early draft pick.

The bottom line is that it is difficult to have our cake and eat it to. It is virtually impossible to recruit quality players that are already established at AFL level such as Power or Stevens and at the same time be able to recruit some of the best young talent going around from our best draft picks.

YT sorry if I have missed something here, but I agree with you. All I was saying was that after watching POWER the other night, he is the type of player I would be prepared to give up a pick for.

Hopefully with come judiscious trading we could get back a high pick in one of our trades.

Really going to be a delicate balancing act this year so let hope they get it right for a change.

I can't disagree with any of MILLERS recruiting strategy and as he pointed out Collingwood have shown how well it can work if you are well prepared.

Heres hoping.

By the way keep up the good Post YT. Your balanced approach is a breath of fresh air.

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
No worries Gus.

You are right. This years trading period for the Tigers is going to be a delicate balancing act.

A player the quality of Luke Power would be a welcome addition to Tiger ranks. He is young, skillful, has a lot of football left in him and is always going to struggle to hold down a midfield role at the Lions whilst Voss, Lappin, Black and Akermanis are there. I would love to be able to get our hands on him but I just hope that we wouldn't have to give up too much to get him.

PS - Congrats on a 1000 posts. There has been a number of milestone posts on this site over the last 2 weeks.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Thanks YT.

I find myself agreeing with a lot of what you say.

POWER would certainly be high on my priority list, but agree that we can't be held to ransom as we have in the past.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Gidday again,
we're all pretty much agreeing I reckon. What my original post was suggesting was a best case senario, I know it would be hard to pull off, but it's all a bit of a punt during trade time, how the cards fall. St Kilda a few years ago somehow pulled off, getting a couple of good out of contract players (Gehrig and Hamill) while keeping 2 picks in the top 10. I'd like to see us try and get another pick in the top 10, THEN try and get Power ideally or Stevens with one of 'em. The danger is getting obsessed with a particular player and give up too much.
thanks for the feedback.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
This was sent to me by someone who got it off bigfooty.com. Its a sad and sorry tale. Please correct any blues. I'm hazy on some of it, some of those no names are hard to recall, but a lot seems painfully correct to me. I reckon its a combination of bad luck and bad recruiting. Trading early picks for McQueen, Wigney and Biddescombe????? Geez that hurts.

Pick 4 Richard Anderson, Pick 17 Trent Nichols
Missed Darren Jarman

Pick 1 Richard Lounder, Pick 14 Wayne Peters

Pick 5 Chris Naish, Pick 19 Mathew Francis
Missed Michael Long, Craig Turley

Pick 1 Anthony Banik, Pick 13 Alistair Scott
Missed Dean Kemp Peter Matera, Gavin Wanganeen Paul Williams

Pick 1 David Cloke, Pick 16 Todd Menegola
Missed Glen jakovich, Darryl White

Pick 4 Mark trewella, Pick 10 Andrew Underwood

Pick 7 Wayne Hernaman, Pick 22 Mark Jones

Pick 3 Justin Murphy, Pick 26 Stephen Jurica

Pick 11 Damian Ryan, Pick 29 Jason Torney

Traded lots of draft picks for Stuart Wigney and Mark McQueen
Pick 35 Brad Smith, Pick 46 Ben Moore

Pick 16 Pat Stienfort, Pick 35 Mark Chaffey

Pick 2 Brad Ottens, Pick 53 Lional Proctor

Traded Pick 8 for Craig Biddiscombe, Sydney got Jude Bolton
Traded Pick 24 for Rory Hilton Geelong got David Wojinski
Pick 40 James White, Pick 55 Marc Dragicevic

Missed Both Lonies Nathan p58 ryan p32, Mark Bullen, Pavlich, Leigh Brown, Robert Murphy, Daniel Giansiracusa, Mitch Hahn.
Pick 3 Aaron Fiora, Pick 22 Ezra Poyas

Missed Graham Johncock P67, Ashley Mcgrath, Shaun Burgoyne, Daniel Kerr p18, Jordan Mcmahon, Shane Birss,
Pick 9 Kayne Pettifer, Pick 25 Mark Coughlan

Pick 33 D rodan, missed, Sam Mitchell, Paul Medhurst

Traded Pick 2 Daniel Wells for Kayne Johnson (fair enough) Pick 12 Jay *smile*

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
tigersnake said:
Traded Pick 2 Daniel Wells for Kayne Johnson (fair enough) Pick 12 Jay *smile*

Traded pick 4....never actually had pick 2. The AFL moved the goalposts a bit late there. The club said if they actually had pick 2 they might have traded differently.
Even though it was known the AFL would probably alter the picks the club could only deal with facts at the time.