Delistings 2021 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Delistings 2021

Frank Booth

Tiger Cub
Apr 9, 2016
WIth a potential abundance of 2021 November draft picks, the questioin remains how many do we have to cut off the main list (not rookie) to maximise our advantage?

I see 5 sure things
1. DES
2. Naish
3.Garthwaite
4.Astbury (Ret.)
5.Ross(trade)

Fire away

Last edited:

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Ah I remember the good old days when this thread could be run and won before the season even started :))

I reckon I could come up with up to 7 or 8 possibles this year to be honest without too much bother.

The recruiting of Mansell and Parker and the positive showings of RCD and CJ have helped to make these decisions much easier for me.

Theres still ample time and opportunity for one or two to impress however.

However another cancelled VFL season will be disastrous for some ....

Last edited:

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
too early to call, just half through the season! There may be some retirements on the cards, I use a wait and see approach.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Without naming names because as other have said, we are still contending, there are a number of easy list management decisions. There are also a number of medium difficulty decisions to be made too if they really want to cut deep.

Reckon our list managers got a bit complacent last year and didn’t make enough changes. Using only two draft picks and re-listing a player after delisting them was not nearly enough churn.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Easy
Delist: Eggy, who put him back on the list? seriously
Naish, Danny Roach was better
Cathwaite, wasn't a player 4 year's ago defiantly not a player today.
Stack has 12 weeks to prove himself, or see ya.

Trade Chol, but i heard he can walk for free. Regardless see ya
Caddy, doubt he would be worth anything pick 98
Ross, just hasn't improved, should've been in best 22 especially with Prestia and Cotchin missing so much footy.

Retirements Astbury Houli Cotchin

Trade targets Green Tarranto Luscious or Anderson

Reactions: 1 user

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Without naming names because as other have said, we are still contending, there are a number of easy list management decisions. There are also a number of medium difficulty decisions to be made too if they really want to cut deep.

Reckon our list managers got a bit complacent last year and didn’t make enough changes. Using only two draft picks and re-listing a player after delisting them was not nearly enough churn.
Last year, because of the nature of the season, was a hard one to manage with delisting, although the relisting of Eggs was definitely a mistake.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Easy
Delist: Eggy, who put him back on the list? seriously
Naish, Danny Roach was better
Cathwaite, wasn't a player 4 year's ago defiantly not a player today.
Stack has 12 weeks to prove himself, or see ya.

Trade Chol, but i heard he can walk for free. Regardless see ya
Caddy, doubt he would be worth anything pick 98
Ross, just hasn't improved, should've been in best 22 especially with Prestia and Cotchin missing so much footy.

Retirements Astbury Houli Cotchin

Trade targets Green Tarranto Luscious or Anderson
good work zips.

Houli will play on I think.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Last year, because of the nature of the season, was a hard one to manage with delisting, although the relisting of Eggs was definitely a mistake.
Yep, the covid affected season definitely impacted list management decisions. However, I still think we got too complacent and retained too many players who have not shown enough to remain on our list.

Much of list management is simply about turning over players to find those that can contribute at AFL level. There are exceptions but generally speaking, you know if a player can cut it by the end of their third year in the system injuries permitting. We’ve got a number of players on our list in their 4th and 5th seasons who are not up to it and it was clear they weren’t up to at the end of last year too. By retaining all of these players for another year, we’ve denied ourselves the chance to find better replacements sooner.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Houli’s been great for us, but I think this should be his final season. His kicking seems to have lost its penetration, and the repeated injuries have affected his game.
Definite possibility Carn... If he has a strong end to the season then he might want to retire on a high anyway.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Houli’s been great for us, but I think this should be his final season. His kicking seems to have lost its penetration, and the repeated injuries have affected his game.
Yep. I reckon Bash and Davo (and maybe Chimp) will call it a day at season's end.

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
I think next year should be the last hurrah for this group. Everyone plays on unless they’re physically not up to it. Houli goes on for one more year etc. Astbury only one in doubt IMO.

Jan 12, 2012
Melbourne
Why does everyone think Dave’s time is up? He’s younger than Cotchin, Riewoldt, Edwards and Houli. He came out of the same draft as Dusty. Turned 30 in Feb. He’s 6 months older than Grimes and 12 months older than Marlion. I haven’t seen evidence of him slowing down (mainly because I haven’t seen any live games).

Reactions: 1 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Maybe more List Management than Delistings.
Out:
Garthwaite plenty of tall forwards in front of him and ain’t a kpb
Eggmolesse-Smith some skill but lacks the hardness at AFL level

Chol UFA free to a good home if he gets a good deal. Low compo pick expected.

Trade:
Castagna can open up his own stickman tattoo shop in Fremantle. Plus a 1st round pick for Cerra. The game has changed, the worst skilled and lowest footy iq. Can’t player any other position apart from “pressure forward”
Caddy can go with Castagna as part of the Cerra trade. Surplus to needs. Still has some value.
Naish if he has any trade value.
McIntosh RFA. only if he’s keen on a return to WA. Still has value to us.

Thats between 5-7 outgoing list changes.
In:
Cerra 1st rounder
Narkle 2nd 2nd rounder

Bundle/upgrade our other 1st, 2nds, 2x 3rds any other picks we get in trade outs if any.
Minimum of 3 picks in the ND.

Disclaimer* That’s only my opinion and guesswork. I know sweet bugger all.
But it’s amazing what Balmey let’s slip when he’s suffering sugar intoxication from the box of Iced VoVo’s I gave him. :eyes:p

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Yep, the covid affected season definitely impacted list management decisions. However, I still think we got too complacent and retained too many players who have not shown enough to remain on our list.

Much of list management is simply about turning over players to find those that can contribute at AFL level. There are exceptions but generally speaking, you know if a player can cut it by the end of their third year in the system injuries permitting. We’ve got a number of players on our list in their 4th and 5th seasons who are not up to it and it was clear they weren’t up to at the end of last year too. By retaining all of these players for another year, we’ve denied ourselves the chance to find better replacements sooner.

You may be a bit harsh on the players we have retained - given no VFL games last year it was really difficult in a development sense but also in seeing what quality we have coming through.

This season already we have uncovered 4 plays that should make it - Mansell, RCD, Hugo and CCJ have all put their hand up and put their cards on the table and we like what we see. Ross hasn’t come on like we hoped and Dow yet to get a run and Millar is an unknown but may have missed his chance this year now with CCJ and Chol stepping up as talls - who knows.

We are still in a great space list wise with new youth coming though to add to Graham, Bolton, Balta as our young leaders.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Houli has been a stalwart of our team what seems like forever but time works on the body and I reckon he knows it, doesn't like it but knows it so I reckon he will hang up his boots at the end of season. Better to go when on top of his game and valued than one season too long and reputation is diminished

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Definite possibility Carn... If he has a strong end to the season then he might want to retire on a high anyway.

Agree with both - that it would be a great way to bow out at the end of this year

But I suspect Bachar will want to play on and won’t willingly call it quits

If that’s the case I hope he can be encouraged to avoid any sort of fuss and go out in style

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Houli has been a stalwart of our team what seems like forever but time works on the body and I reckon he knows it, doesn't like it but knows it so I reckon he will hang up his boots at the end of season. Better to go when on top of his game and valued than one season too long and reputation is diminished
Agreed. Time catches up quickly as players get older. He seems to be getting a few soft tissue issues. But I hope for his sake whatever the decision is, it’s done with dignity and Grace. He deserves that.