Dirty Dog Cup a legendary spectacle (RFC site) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dirty Dog Cup a legendary spectacle (RFC site)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Dirty Dog Cup a legendary spectacle
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au
9:19:02 AM Thu 3 July, 2003

Punt Road Oval will be transformed into a veritable 'Field of Dreams' on Sunday, July 20 when the Tigers of Old take on the Corporate Allies in the inaugural Dirty Dog Cup.

Former Richmond greats such as Dale Weightman, Jimmy Jess, Michael Roach, Merv Keane, Barry Rowlings, Roger Dean, Francis Bourke, Billy Barrot and *smile* Clay will turn back the clock to showcase their football talents on the hallowed Punt Road turf, against a team comprising Tiger coterie members, sponsors and a few prominent ‘ring-ins’, such as RFC coach Danny Frawley, assistant coaches Darren Crocker and Paul Spargo, new Coburg Tigers president and VFA legend Phil Cleary, and former Bulldog rugged backman Rick Kennedy.

‘Flea’ Weightman will captain the Tigers of Old and, in typical fashion, he’ll be “taking no prisoners”.

"I just went out and got Andy Goodwin signed up to play for us because he is a 'nutter'," Weightman said.

"Andy's not playing footy this season because his nose is over here (points to the side of his face), so he's fired up and ready to go in this match.

"After half-time, we'll be bringing the famous Bourke, Barrot and Clay centreline on to the ground . . . that'll certainly be an attraction for the crowd.

"And, what we're going to do, we're getting special jumpers made for the players -- the old-style wool ones -- with their names on the back. As soon as they come off the ground, we'll get them to sign the jumpers and we'll have a 'framer' there, ready to frame them, so we can auction them off on the day!"

The match is the brainchild of Weightman and long-time Richmond supporter, sponsor Tony Singarella (Dealer Principal of Empire Proton), who has been responsible for putting the Corporate Allies team together.

"Flea and I hatched the idea a couple of years ago, but never got around to doing anything about it. We talked about it again a few weeks ago and it's really taken off from there," Singarella said.

"This is a fantastic opportunity for people to not only be out on the same playing field as some of the true greats of the Richmond Football Club, but also to give their sponsors excellent recognition on the day.

"It's going to be huge . . ."

Four-time Richmond premiership coach Tom Hafey will have the coaching reins of the Tigers of Old, while big, bad, Malcolm Brown will be in charge of the Corporate Allies.

Members of the Corporate Allies team have had to find sponsorship valued at $600 each for the privilege of playing in this Legends match, which is bound to attract enormous interest among the Yellow and Black faithful.

All proceeds will go to the RFC Former Players and Officials’ Association's welfare fund.

The winning team will be presented with the Dirty Dog Cup (sponsored by leading international eyewear manufacturer and new Richmond sponsor Dirty Dog) and the Tigers are planning for this to be an annual event.

"We see it as an important part of the Richmond Football Club brand, providing our supporters with the chance to soak up some terrific Tiger tradition and history at Punt Road Oval," said the Club's CEO Ian Campbell.

There will be some great Richmond memorabilia for sale at the ground on the day, fans can feast on a sumptuous sausage sizzle and drinks will be available at bar prices.

The Tigers' magnificent museum will be open throughout the afternoon to further enhance the nostalgic atmosphere that will pervade Punt Road Oval.

Cost of entry is a gold coin donation and a crowd of more than 2000 is expected to fill the famous ground. Parking will be available in the MCG carpark.

The gates open at noon and fans will also be able to mingle with current-day Richmond players, as well as the Tigers of Old, before the match kicks off around 1.30pm.

A good, old-fashioned after-match function (with players and umpires in attendance) will round out what promises to be a wonderful afternoon's entertainment.

P

PuntRoadRoar

just on the humour side of things, if this event is going to be yearly thing who will be playing for the "tigers of Old" in 15 years time *if we still exist* ??????

King, Bidda,Pettifer,Rogers????? LOL

sorry just humouring myself there............. :D

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
PRR,

C'mon pal be fair, they'll have Chaff, Andy K, Staff, Gas, Cambo, Cogs etc. ;)

P

PuntRoadRoar

LOL

so true so true, i do apologise for my sick sense of humour

:)