Do we know how to play running attacking footy? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Do we know how to play running attacking footy?

Mikee

Will we ever get there?
Feb 21, 2003
Melbourne
To the people on this forum who say that we haven't been playing that badly, that we played well on Friday night, that North's 'emotion' got them over the line, aren't facing reality. For the past 3 weeks we have played 'sheizen howzen' football. We have totally stopped running and supporting. We hardly ever have anyone running past to receive a handball, never have numbers around the ball anymore and are nearly always out numbered at contests. Why is this?

From the backline, we play so slow, stop-start football. We just chip it or kick it long to contests down the boundary line (usually to a long lead from Richo). We never link up from the back with run to create our attacks. Frawley has got us playing a very UGLY, BORING, and crap style of football which is not capable of beating anyone at the moment. He is content as he would say to 'grind' the game out and hopefully get a win. What a negative way to win a game. We have no idea in the centre anymore. I've been watching closely, and nearly every game i've seen we are always second to the ball in the centre, and just don't know how to read the ball and get there first with numbers. I've always said that our lack of pace is a real concern, and you can definately see, especially over the past 3 weeks that we look slower than the opposition, they always get more numbers to the contests, etc.....

We definately need to axe Frawley as he has no idea. Someone like a Terry Wallace would get us playing a much more attacking, free-flowing, exciting style of football which would be capable of kicking a winning score, which reminds me of another sad statistic that i noticed yesterday which was we have the lowest "Points For" in the top 11. This doesn't surprise me at all.

So to you Rosy, who thinks we played good against North, I say you must be watching a different game or are a bit of a dreamer, not with reality. No offence to you either, just very dissappointed at seeing that we are going nowhere again. It starts with the recruiting in G.Hack, I mean Beck, then with an egg coach like Frawley, how the @%^%$# can we be successful.

Alot of years before we see sustained success.

Go Tiges!!! :'(

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Gee Mikey- and we waste all that money every year paying an entire footy department when you have such a clear simple vision for the future. Still I'm sure your knowledge of the game would leave them for dead.
;)

T

tiga chikk

theres more then one way to play a game of football and if you thought firday nights game was boring you need your head read

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
Mikee said:
To the people on this forum who say that we haven't been playing that badly, that we played well on Friday night, that North's 'emotion' got them over the line, aren't facing reality. For the past 3 weeks we have played 'sheizen howzen' football. We have totally stopped running and supporting. We hardly ever have anyone running past to receive a handball, never have numbers around the ball anymore and are nearly always out numbered at contests. Why is this?

From the backline, we play so slow, stop-start football. We just chip it or kick it long to contests down the boundary line (usually to a long lead from Richo). We never link up from the back with run to create our attacks. Frawley has got us playing a very UGLY, BORING, and crap style of football which is not capable of beating anyone at the moment. He is content as he would say to 'grind' the game out and hopefully get a win. What a negative way to win a game. We have no idea in the centre anymore. I've been watching closely, and nearly every game i've seen we are always second to the ball in the centre, and just don't know how to read the ball and get there first with numbers. I've always said that our lack of pace is a real concern, and you can definately see, especially over the past 3 weeks that we look slower than the opposition, they always get more numbers to the contests, etc.....

We definately need to axe Frawley as he has no idea. Someone like a Terry Wallace would get us playing a much more attacking, free-flowing, exciting style of football which would be capable of kicking a winning score, which reminds me of another sad statistic that i noticed yesterday which was we have the lowest "Points For" in the top 11. This doesn't surprise me at all.

So to you Rosy, who thinks we played good against North, I say you must be watching a different game or are a bit of a dreamer, not with reality. No offence to you either, just very dissappointed at seeing that we are going nowhere again. It starts with the recruiting in G.Hack, I mean Beck, then with an egg coach like Frawley, how the @%^%$# can we be successful.

Alot of years before we see sustained success.

Go Tiges!!! :'(
finds it funny that all the frawley knockers comeback after 3 lose,s. didnt hear much before then.
on wallace how many flags did he win while coaching?

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
I do think the style of football we play could also be having an impact on memberships and crowd numbers.

You must admit we play an ugly, boring brand of football, one which is not exciting to watch.

A few times in the past couple of years, we have won, yet it has been hard to be excited because the game has just been so boring. Sometimes this is necessary, and it worked against Essendon this year, which was great, but on the whole, it is a boring way to win.

I'm getting a bit tired of watching our games where it finishes 12 goals to 10. We need to start backing ourselves, taking risks, running from the backline, going up the corrider instead of stop start footy aorund the boundary.

This is the difference from early in the year to now, we have stopped running and taking chances. Sure, sometimes we'll turn it over and it will cost us, but lets back ourselves to get it right more often that not.

I'd rather win 20 goals to 18, or even lose 22 goals to 20, then win 9 goals to 8.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
DragicevicFan said:
I'd rather win 20 goals to 18, or even lose 22 goals to 20, then win 9 goals to 8.

not me, id rather win 9 goals to 8 than lsoe by anyy margin. The concept of losing does not sit well with me no matter the style of game. I would ahve thought winning was more imporatant than playing attractive footy adn getting members to sign up because of attractive footy. Surely all members would want us to win more than be attractive no?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I'm with shawry here. I'll take the 4 points from a low scoring game anyday over a high scoring loss.
There's more to football than goal scoring, and I think the slog in the wet against Freo was as entertaining as a goalfest.
Different skills and different players come into their own then.
I don't care how it's achieved but winning the 4 points is the objective of the game.
People would be more inspired to sign up if we were successful slogging out wins by a point rather than getting the wooden spoon losing high scoring games.

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Winning is obviously preferable, and I guess, i would rather win a low scoring game that get beaten in a shootout, but I just find some of our games very boring and uninspiring.

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
Wayne Brittain has been in charge of the midfield since the last preseason. So if you have a problem with the arrangements around the ball, it is more Brittain's than Frawley's fault.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
hutstar said:
Gee Mikey- and we waste all that money every year paying an entire footy department when you have such a clear simple vision for the future. Still I'm sure your knowledge of the game would leave them for dead.
;)

Hutstar -you are a tool. Mikee has made some valid points above which are so obvious for the eye to see. But you just keep on P!ssing on everything everybody says- if it makes you somehow feel better. :p

Does this sound familiar buddy. 8)

P

PuntRoadRoar

nothing wrong with frawley and Co .......... cant believe he is being questioned.

Its certain players who need to start having a red hot go, maybe frawley should comeback this week considering gaspar is out, we need a fullback

go the spud !!!!!!!!!!!

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Agree 1000% with Mikee and I've said it over and over again that we do not know how to run as a complete unit and run to support teamates with the ball and linkn up and run in waves.

A player in possession only has eyes in front of him looking for a lead up field as there is very minimal lateral running support from teamates. This leads to stop start, static play where our only avenue forward is either a long kick to a contest, or a short kick to a free man.

On many occassions on Friday, North players were constantly darting past the player with the ball and you could always see the eyes of the north player in possession looking sideways as well as in front, looking for a teamate running past so they can play on and get momentum.

North are a developing side where they have many young players whereas we are supposedly a finals chance (LOL). North beat us because they have a game plan which is based on momentum, running support of teamates on all occassions, a game plan that can bring all players into the game and a plan that will develop the confidence and skills of their players.

You all can ridicule this but this is my opinion and it appears that it isn't only mine. Yes I know that we've won 6 games however during that time I was still saying that our game plan is too static with not enough run and soon we'll be found out once opposition sides figure out that they only need to stop Cogs Johnson and Richo. We were grinding games to the point where we choked the opposition.

The bulldogs are on the bottom of the ladder as they have heaps of young players as they are in a rebuilding phase. Also they have had some pretty bad injuries. However they have a game plan/style of play that will develop the players and develop the team that will pretty soon overtake richmond as a playing force. Their 2 games at Adelaide and West Coast probably are indications of this.

The bulldogs game style was implemented by Wallace and Rhode is continuing with this. Wallace at tigerland for mine. We have a good playing list ATM but have no system. Wallace will do wonders IMO as he knows how to implement an attacking, running, supporting game style with momentum which we desperately lack. It appears that Tony Shaw's apprentice has no idea how to implement this.

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Here, here Harry. The tigers season is over, time to look at getting Wallace for the job. We need a tough mother to delist the duds.

Here are my predictions:-

Carlton - win
Brisbane - flogged by 12 goals
Adelaide - debarcle. Carey kicks 8 goals on Vardy
Geelong - win, just
Collingwood - another big game pummalling. Tarrant to run riot.
Western Bulldogs - win, but struggle
Freo - heavo oh freo, time to flog the ferals.
Stkilda - loss.
Essendon - no hope beating the dons twice
Port Adelaide- fat chances
Hawthorn - win. players rally for spud.
10th September. Spud sacked and replaced by Wallace.

Even if they win 12, their percentage will be terrible. 12 wins might not be enough this year.

Khan

Lets Roar in 2004
Dec 17, 2002
Tigerland
Can I ask people one question

What position realistically did you expect to be in at this point at the start of the year.

For me 7 and 4 I thought would have been good. So 6 and 5 is not that far off the mark.

I see in the next 11 games only 2 games that are most likely losses that is Brissie and Port, Garlton, Geelong and Hawthorn are all wins. Essendon and Collingwood I can hope. And you never know with Adelaide.

Yes I know I am maybe optamistic but I live in a world where my wife left, I am in debt up to my a from the divorce and I only get my daughter every two weeks. Let me hope

Lets put this in prespective, as long as we compete I can live with this team.

Lets Roar

Khan

p.s If your predictions are wrong will you come on this board and announce it each week. I know you will do this if they come true ?

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
I would have thought Port was a winnable game. They have not proved that they can win here in Melbourne consistently. They lost to the Demons for christs sake.

Khan

Lets Roar in 2004
Dec 17, 2002
Tigerland
On current form, the jump up to beat Port is above our ability. However I try to take things on a week to week prospect

Lets Roar

Khan

iLoVeNeWmAn

RFC - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em
Apr 15, 2003
www.abcsports.com.au
I see in the next 11 games only 2 games that are most likely losses that is Brissie and Port, Garlton, Geelong and Hawthorn are all wins. Essendon and Collingwood I can hope. And you never know with Adelaide.

Khan, unfortunately I think you've got that the wrong way around. In the next 11 games, there is not one that we can go in confident in winning with the rable we have (due to injuries and a weak list).

The few games that we're a chance in winning IMO are:

Carlton, Geelong.......umm, that's about it - unless something drastic happens and the KP's and the Rogers were just pretending that they had no footy skills and come out firing in the 2nd half of the season.

YEAH RIGHT!!!

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
We've started going down hill since we've taken Kayne Pettifer out of the side. Ok, he is useless as a footy player, but how about as a good luck charm?