Just some thoughts.... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Just some thoughts....

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Why was everyone expecting to see a new improved Richmond this year?

Other than the additions of Kane Johnson and Justin Blumfield we went in with pretty much the same list. Granted we were expecting Holland to be back to fortify the backline. But here's some perspective:

Holland and Blumfield aren't in the team at the moment and since Campbell isnt in the team, Johnson is doing less than replacing him.

So why are we expecting anything different from last year in our performances? If we had an injury free team in (Holland, Johnson and Blumfield) then i think we'd have quite a big improvement from last year, but by missing two of those three and gaining other injuries to make matters worse I don't see how we'd expect to be putting on performances that were much different to last year's.

Does anyone else here think that we could have afforded to keep Knighter on? I know he was too old, too slow. But *smile*, surely they didnt think Clinton King was going to be of more value than Knights. He'd get a game in my team before King, Biddiscombe, Pettifer, Hilton, Fiora, Vardy or Cameron. And his experience would have benefitted all those around him.

Speaking of leadership, who's going to captain this week? Richo? LMAO! I don't look forward to seeing the captain getting dragged after a misdemeanour.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Fair comment JohnF.

This is exactly why I have been saying that we need to be slowly demoting the proven hacks and introducing new fresh talent along the way EVEN when we were winning games. These guys have proven themselves over and over again to be hacks yet Frawely was persisting with them.

Its no good placing the balme at Hilton. Hilton gets 5 possessions but he knows that he is going to get a game next week, so why should he put more of an effort. If I was in Hilton's shoes I'd do the same thing - the easiest paycheck in the world - go out there, jog around, prounce like a pony, then go have a shower - easy. Why should he try harder when he knows Frawely will give him a game next week. The same goes for a handful of others.

In summary we are where we are because Frawely persists with hacks and puts NO pressure on their spot in the team and Frawely has implemented an ugly, static, grinding, one dimensional game plan. On top of this our recruiting has been pathetic over the years.

Does it surprise anyone that we are not good enough.

In saying this I beleive we will bounce back to an extent and win (or should I say - "grind away") enough games that might get us to the finals. However until I see a more exciting, attacking, free flowing game style and until I see a significant change in the playing personnel, I will say to you all out there - expect more of what you saw on Saturday night.

Fireman_Sam

A 'non-sexual' example of the 69 position
Feb 26, 2003
Wales
, free flowing game style and until I see a significant change in the playing personnel, I will say to you all out there - expect more of what you saw on Saturday night.

What? against Sydney?

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
JohnF said:
Why was everyone expecting to see a new improved Richmond this year?

Other than the additions of Kane Johnson and Justin Blumfield we went in with pretty much the same list.

I said before the season started that we can't expect the addition of 3-4 players alone to turn our Club around.

What I thought could have an impact was the three R's that Danny spoke about over the pre-season. If anything was going to have things change, that's where much of the improvement was going to come from.

I think Kane Johnson is a good addition for the experience he brings to the team and I think he has made a difference to us. But you can't do it along.

For me, building team spirit is what can have the biggest impact, because when a game needs to be won, we just have to find that bit extra to get over the line, or to keep persisting. And that hasn't happened over a lot of years.

I thought we were starting to see things change, from some of the games a few weeks back, but obviously it takes a lot longer than just a few games to develop the kind of spirit that can win us games and turn us into a real team.