Draft selection | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Draft selection

Good thing is that because the Blues will get Thomas, they won't get a first round compo for losing Betts.

We will find out Monday if there were any 1st round bids for likely Roos father/son Luke McDonald.

If so they will have to use their 1st rounder to nab him, effectively cutting the live picks afterwards down by one.

thomas the tiger said:
What picks are we likely to get for white and mcguane. Is 29 and 30 possible

I don't think we get anything from White or McGuane as they are unrestricted free agents?

MTiger said:
I don't think we get anything from White or McGuane as they are unrestricted free agents?

I believe we still get compensation picks for them both.

SkillzThatKillz said:
I believe we still get compensation picks for them both.

i think we can, but because they are both pretty average players we probably wont.

Unrestricted means unrestricted, there are no compo picks, they are free to walk to their new teams.

TigerMasochist said:
Unrestricted means unrestricted, there are no compo picks, they are free to walk to their new teams.

Unrestricted means the original club doesn't have the option of matching a rival bid.

I guess the afl make it up as they go then. If we got two second rounders for them that would be like winning tattslotto

bullus_hit said:
Unrestricted means the original club doesn't have the option of matching a rival bid.
So why do the papers claim we don't get compo as they are unrestricted free agents?
As far as I'm concerned no club should get compo when a player walks, contracts finished then the player should be free to find a new workplace, if he wishes.
Clubs are happy enough to delist players if they feel they're past the use by date but then want to be able to onsell a player if they think there's something more valuable to be had from elsewhere.

TigerMasochist said:
So why do the papers claim we don't get compo as they are unrestricted free agents?
As far as I'm concerned no club should get compo when a player walks, contracts finished then the player should be free to find a new workplace, if he wishes.
Clubs are happy enough to delist players if they feel they're past the use by date but then want to be able to onsell a player if they think there's something more valuable to be had from elsewhere.

A delisted Free Agent player (restricted or unrestricted) who moves to another club doesn't attract a compo pick.
A Free Agent (restricted or unrestricted) who moves to another club may attract compo. That compo depends on the afl's magic formula.
The high profile F.A's depending on age and size of contracts attract the better compo of course. But lesser lights may get you something or nothing.Similar to when Chris Knights came to us, the crows received nada, mainly because he didn't play many games the season or 2 previous and maybe the size of his contract. Meanwhile the hawks got pick 66 for Clinton Young but nix for Tom Murphy
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/see-what-compensation-your-club-received-with-free-agency-now-finished/story-fnfll94y-1226499551140

There were a few RFAs last year that didn't generate compo picks. It may be perceived value by the AFL, but if the new contract has any bearing, as I think it does, then White's 3 year contract might be worth something.

But last year Chris Knights had no compo to Adelaide and I think he got a 3-year contract with us.

2012 AFL free agency period signings
Player Date Free Agent type Former club New club Compensation[11] Ref
Danyle Pearce 1 October 2012 Restricted Port Adelaide Fremantle 2nd Round [12]
Brendon Goddard 1 October 2012 Restricted St Kilda Essendon 1st Round [13]
Chris Knights 1 October 2012 Unrestricted Adelaide Richmond None [14]
Troy Chaplin 1 October 2012 Restricted Port Adelaide Richmond 2nd Round [15]
Quinten Lynch 2 October 2012 Unrestricted West Coast Collingwood 3rd Round [16]
Shannon Byrnes 4 October 2012 Unrestricted Geelong Melbourne None [17]
Tom Murphy 12 October 2012 Unrestricted Hawthorn Gold Coast None [18]
Brent Moloney 12 October 2012 Restricted Melbourne Brisbane Lions 3rd Round [19]
Jared Rivers 18 October 2012 Unrestricted Melbourne Geelong 3rd Round [20]
Clinton Young 19 October 2012 Unrestricted Hawthorn Collingwood 3rd Round [21]
Jonathan Simpkin 1 November 2012 Delisted Geelong Hawthorn None [22]
Tom Gillies 13 November 2012 Delisted Geelong Melbourne None [23]
Dylan Roberton 30 November 2012 Delisted Fremantle St Kilda None [24]
Nick Lower 3 December 2012 Delisted Fremantle Western Bulldogs None

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
There were a few RFAs last year that didn't generate compo picks. It may be perceived value by the AFL, but if the new contract has any bearing, as I think it does, then White's 3 year contract might be worth something.

But last year Chris Knights had no compo to Adelaide and I think he got a 3-year contract with us.

2012 AFL free agency period signings
Player Date Free Agent type Former club New club Compensation[11] Ref
Danyle Pearce 1 October 2012 Restricted Port Adelaide Fremantle 2nd Round [12]
Brendon Goddard 1 October 2012 Restricted St Kilda Essendon 1st Round [13]
Chris Knights 1 October 2012 Unrestricted Adelaide Richmond None [14]
Troy Chaplin 1 October 2012 Restricted Port Adelaide Richmond 2nd Round [15]
Quinten Lynch 2 October 2012 Unrestricted West Coast Collingwood 3rd Round [16]
Shannon Byrnes 4 October 2012 Unrestricted Geelong Melbourne None [17]
Tom Murphy 12 October 2012 Unrestricted Hawthorn Gold Coast None [18]
Brent Moloney 12 October 2012 Restricted Melbourne Brisbane Lions 3rd Round [19]
Jared Rivers 18 October 2012 Unrestricted Melbourne Geelong 3rd Round [20]
Clinton Young 19 October 2012 Unrestricted Hawthorn Collingwood 3rd Round [21]
Jonathan Simpkin 1 November 2012 Delisted Geelong Hawthorn None [22]
Tom Gillies 13 November 2012 Delisted Geelong Melbourne None [23]
Dylan Roberton 30 November 2012 Delisted Fremantle St Kilda None [24]
Nick Lower 3 December 2012 Delisted Fremantle Western Bulldogs None

All to do with price.

So we've lost pick28 for Megan Gale (oops Sean Hampson :hihi)

Pick 11 then Pick 46. Big gap in between.

Are we doing any other trades to get a second round pick back?

Just think 35 picks with no pick is not good at all.
Will not be happy with the List managers if it stays likes this.

Does anyone else agree?

There were rumours a while ago we didn't rate this draft and I think that's plain as day now.

theglove3 said:
So we've lost pick28 for Megan Gale (oops Sean Hampson :hihi)

Pick 11 then Pick 46. Big gap in between.

Are we doing any other trades to get a second round pick back?

Just think 35 picks with no pick is not good at all.
Will not be happy with the List managers if it stays likes this.

Does anyone else agree?
I think the decision whether we try and trade up for higher picks will be decided when the compensation for Free agency comes out. We are waiting to see what we get for White and McGuane