Draft selection | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Draft selection

theglove3 said:
So we've lost pick28 for Megan Gale (oops Sean Hampson :hihi)

Pick 11 then Pick 46. Big gap in between.

Are we doing any other trades to get a second round pick back?

Just think 35 picks with no pick is not good at all.
Will not be happy with the List managers if it stays likes this.

Does anyone else agree?

ToraToraTora said:
There were rumours a while ago we didn't rate this draft and I think that's plain as day now.

This is interesting list management.

As supporters of a side that has struggled in recent times, we are used to stockpiling younger players whenever we can. But now we're at a point of trying to improve our list, more than just hedge our bets with a shotgun approach to getting as much youth in as possible.

And this is not the same as 'topping up' to win a premiership, I think it's a logical method of development.

Over the past 3 or so years, we have picked up a lot of juniors who have been playing at Coburg (McBean, McDonough, Macintosh, Elton, Dea, Helbig, Griffiths etc.) whilst we have also picked up a lot of juniors who are actually playing in the 22 (Vlastuin, Ellis, Conca, (Arnott. inj.)), and we have this mix of younger players, both playing and developing. We will also be keeping our first round draft pick this year, and can add another junior into one of those categories.

In terms of age profile, we're not at a stage of topping up, and we actually have quite a lot of youth available to form the nucleus of an on field team, as well as developmental players to choose from.

So when it comes to this years draft, which we have potentially rated as being a little dull after the first round, it doesn't really make sense to hold on to a second round draft pick out of the paranoia of looking like you're being too risky in not following a strict youth policy. Richmond have decided that our second pick is better spent on a known quantity to fill a known need (Hampson - tall athletic ruck), than on a speculative second round midfielder (we have no need for another junior midfielder) or an even more speculative tall (we do have need for the tall, but not for a 17 year old second round guess in a draft that's weak on talls). The only potential need that pick 28 could have filled would be a pacy half forward, but my guess is that the club hasn't identified any that would be available at that pick, that wouldn't be a wild stab in the dark.

I don't think it hurts our list at all to miss out on one guess at a junior this year. I think it benefits the list massively to have another 25 y.o ruck option. As long as we continue to use our first round pick for youth, we're being responsible.

Coburgtiger said:
This is interesting list management.

As supporters of a side that has struggled in recent times, we are used to stockpiling younger players whenever we can. But now we're at a point of trying to improve our list, more than just hedge our bets with a shotgun approach to getting as much youth in as possible.

And this is not the same as 'topping up' to win a premiership, I think it's a logical method of development.

Over the past 3 or so years, we have picked up a lot of juniors who have been playing at Coburg (McBean, McDonough, Macintosh, Elton, Dea, Helbig, Griffiths etc.) whilst we have also picked up a lot of juniors who are actually playing in the 22 (Vlastuin, Ellis, Conca, (Arnott. inj.)), and we have this mix of younger players, both playing and developing. We will also be keeping our first round draft pick this year, and can add another junior into one of those categories.

In terms of age profile, we're not at a stage of topping up, and we actually have quite a lot of youth available to form the nucleus of an on field team, as well as developmental players to choose from.

So when it comes to this years draft, which we have potentially rated as being a little dull after the first round, it doesn't really make sense to hold on to a second round draft pick out of the paranoia of looking like you're being too risky in not following a strict youth policy. Richmond have decided that our second pick is better spent on a known quantity to fill a known need (Hampson - tall athletic ruck), than on a speculative second round midfielder (we have no need for another junior midfielder) or an even more speculative tall (we do have need for the tall, but not for a 17 year old second round guess in a draft that's weak on talls). The only potential need that pick 28 could have filled would be a pacy half forward, but my guess is that the club hasn't identified any that would be available at that pick, that wouldn't be a wild stab in the dark.

I don't think it hurts our list at all to miss out on one guess at a junior this year. I think it benefits the list massively to have another 25 y.o ruck option. As long as we continue to use our first round pick for youth, we're being responsible.

Required reading for all on this forum! Well said. :clap

At long as we continue to strike gold with our first pick it will be seen as responsible.

17 said:
I recall reading next week / 17th?

I reckon we would have already had "informal talks" with the AFL on a "hypothetical" basis. Dan Richardson suggested a late second or early third and I suspect that was the guidance given by the AFL.

Leysy Days said:
Do you know when we find that out Sin? Or anyone?

once the free agency period ends, which is end of next week.
FA ends Friday, compo would be announced monday at the latest.

Sintiger said:
I think the decision whether we try and trade up for higher picks will be decided when the compensation for Free agency comes out. We are waiting to see what we get for White and McGuane

Some one has to take McGuane as a free agent in order for compensation to be applicable.
Brisbane could pre-season draft him (assuming they want him and no-one rates him higher), and Richmond get nada.

bigwow said:
Brisbane could pre-season draft him (assuming they want him and no-one rates him higher), and Richmond get nada.

What would be the point of that?

They would only consider doing that if they lost a freeagent and didn't want to dilute any compo.

Tigertool said:
What would be the point of that?

They would only consider doing that if they lost a freeagent and didn't want to dilute any compo.

Simon Black is the only Lions free agent and he's either retiring or staying at Brisbane.
Lions would use a PSD pick of their own if they took McGuane. Why?

DirtyDogTiger said:
If we end up with three draft picks can we pass on one of them or do we have to use them all?

Under AFL rules, club's must take 3 picks minimum.

RedanTiger said:
Under AFL rules, club's must take 3 picks minimum.

i dont think a club has to actually use 3 picks. my understanding is they have to have 3 picks available. they can then pass on those picks to use in the PSD or to pick up a delisted free agent.

Thought you have to use 3 picks, you just use the last one to re draft a delisted player from your own list for example

Now it appears that Collingwood appears to be trading their pick 11 as part of a deal for pick 6 with West Coast, I wonder if they will use their pick 10 on Adams?

If not, we might be in with a chance with our pick 12 after all.

Or...does Adams put a price on his head and nominate for the PSD??