Draft Shenannigans | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Draft Shenannigans

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
Fristly I don't know if someone else has already posted this on PRE, but I just saw it today and thought it may be of interest to all us Tigers as we once again judge our club. It was originally posted by"DeeFan" on the "Demonland" forum so I cannot verify its accuracy so please don't disembowel me or skin me alive. ;)

It is the number of top ten picks and the pick no. from the draft since '98.

Saints 6 (1,1,2,2,5,9)
North 5 (2,6,7,8,9)
Brisbane 3 (1,3,6)
Bulldogs 3 (4,10,10)
Sydney 4 (3,4,5,8)
Port 3 (5,6,7)
Geelong 3 (7,8,8)
Hawthorn 3 (1,8,10)
Essendon 2 (9,10)
Fremantle 5 (2,2,4,4,5)
Carlton 2 (4,6)
West C 4 (3,5,6,10)
Coll'wood 3 (1,3,7)
Richmond 2 (3,9)
Adelaide 1 7
Melbourne 1 9

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
No wonder we don't have a lot of top young kids like other clubs do if we rarely get first crack at them.

What these figures don't tell us is why we've had so few top 10 picks.

(I won't mention how we've wasted the couple we've had. ;) )

What's the story? Have we traded our top 10 picks away, a la for Kane Johnson last year?

Wasn't Otto a top 10 pick or did that happen in some wheeling and dealing of picks too?

Seems we've hardly been rewarded for or cashed in on our prolonged period of mediocrity. It's a bummer finishing 9th. No value to anyone. :mad:

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
rosy3 said:
Wasn't Otto a top 10 pick or did that happen in some wheeling and dealing of picks too?

Yes Rosy - Otto was (I am pretty sure) taken at pick 2 in 1997. We traded Bondy and our 1st round pick (probably no. 9) to Freo for the 2nd pick in the national draft.

But I think the numbers that TT has put are a very sad reflection on our past efforts during the trade/draft periods.

3 & 9 since 1998 - That's Fiora at 3 and Pettifer at 9.

What would be interesting to know is what other Clubs got with the picks we traded to get likes Biddescombe, Houlihan, King, Hudson. I am sure it has been posted before - probably the pain of it all makes forget ;)

We all know what the Kangas got with our pick 4 that became pick 2 last year when we dealt for and got Kane Johnson

Hungry

Bring back the Tiger mongrel
Mar 18, 2003
Good thread, there's an interesting side to this one. It shows how, in the current AFL system, mediocrity is a greater burden than full-on failure.

One reason we've had so few top 10 picks is because of our continuing mediocrity - that last two seasons are a good case in point. In both we've only scraped together 7 wins, yet Melbourne, who slumped disastrously this year with 5 wins, after making hte finals the previous year, get a priority pick. You need 5 1/2 wins or less for a priority pick. So two years we're a miserable win and a half better than a priority pick. That's how mediocrity is the one thing the AFL can't fix.

We all know about other seasons, where we've finished ninth, or managed 8 or 9 wins etc. Geelong have suffered a similar fate, which is partly why their rebuilding is taking longer than St Kilda's, for example.

The other side of it is that we have been incredibly stupid when we've had those picks, which is unforgivable. Trading for Johnson last year was good, it's one we got right. But Fiora and Pettifer are second or third round at best in terms of quality. We've also been stubbornly reluctant to trade some of our better (and famously flawed) players for top picks - not gutsy enough.

And here's one to really make you pull the hair out. In '98 we had pick 8, and traded it for Craig Biddiscombe. Jude Bolton was eventually drafted for that pick. I think that sums it all up.

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
Trading period is between October 13 - 17.

National draft is November 23

Pre season draft is December 16

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
The Boss - can you confirm that lists after the draft period must be submitted by 31/10/03?