Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Have we ever had a player sooo respected from the opposition in our history???
All week, anyone interviewed who is playing for the Vics, the one thing theyre really looking forward to is playing alongside Martin.
This bloke is the Elvis of the AFL

Reactions: 2 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Have we ever had a player sooo respected from the opposition in our history???
All week, anyone interviewed who is playing for the Vics, the one thing theyre really looking forward to is playing alongside Martin.
This bloke is the Elvis of the AFL

Thankyou very much!

• Haha

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
Please excuse me being a bit self-indulgent for a moment but last year I was running water for an opposition side and took a drink to Dustin's opponent. While I was there he squirted me with his own drink bottle and I launched an expletive filled spray at him.

Dustin just stayed deadpan and the next day all the players wanted to talk about was me standing up to Dustin.

I gave it a couple of hours before letting them in on the fact I've known him for most of his life. ;)

Thanks for the story TBR.

Id be interested in your comments of Dusty as you've 'known him for most of his life'.

We know of his love for RFC its plain to see, the changes in his maturity from boy to 1st to 5 year player to now are quite extraordinary, im not really talking about his footy. He seems far more in tune with himself and the world around him as an outsider looking him.

Without getting into his personal laundry can you provide an oversight of some the factors above general maturity that you believe have influenced him to now become a respectful well spoken leader on and off the field?. Im sure RFC put in a power of work such as Dimma, Ralph and others have done however Dusty himself must have recognized this and put alot of work in himself, id be interested in all involved and your perception if you dont mind.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Please excuse me being a bit self-indulgent for a moment but last year I was running water for an opposition side and took a drink to Dustin's opponent. While I was there he squirted me with his own drink bottle and I launched an expletive filled spray at him.

Dustin just stayed deadpan and the next day all the players wanted to talk about was me standing up to Dustin.

I gave it a couple of hours before letting them in on the fact I've known him for most of his life. ;)

Diarrhea?

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
No worries TT, I don't want to give the impression we are best mates or anything because that is not the case. Basically we are from the same area and had a mutual connection through some local groups when he was young and then through footy when he was older. His TAC time came when I came back to Australia and had a bit of involvement with the Pioneers and helping some potential Central Vic draftees prepare for the draft and club life.

I don't talk about him much because he wouldn't like it, but what I would say is he has always been respectful and polite throughout his entire life. He's always been a lad but much more good than bad.

As for the other stuff, he took some time to settle into AFL life, the fame and money and spare time was a trap for him, no question but so it is for most players.

Without saying too much, people don't realise how close he came to blowing his career away in the early years and he is very lucky some hijinks never became public or I doubt he would be at Richmond or even in the AFL.

I think what really turned him from talented to superstar was when people close to him sat him down and really let him have it about pissing his talent down the drain. He listened, took it well and never looked back. He's still a lad but has learnt there's a time and a place and it is more enjoyable when you've earned it.

Personally I couldn't speak more highly of him. He always stops and says hello when I see him, treats my kids like they are special and remembers their names even though he might run into them once a year at the footy. Never missed sending me a birthday message in 20 years, took me into the rooms after 2017 when we ran into each other by chance. Footy aside, I find him to be a warm and gentle young bloke and I'd be happy to see my daughter end up with someone just like him.

Great insight TBR.

I love this mantra: "has learnt there's a time and a place and it is more enjoyable when you've earned it"....the time and place is the after party on GF night pissing Cristal champagne into the air!!

Reactions: 3 users

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
No worries TT, I don't want to give the impression we are best mates or anything because that is not the case. Basically we are from the same area and had a mutual connection through some local groups when he was young and then through footy when he was older. His TAC time came when I came back to Australia and had a bit of involvement with the Pioneers and helping some potential Central Vic draftees prepare for the draft and club life.

I don't talk about him much because he wouldn't like it, but what I would say is he has always been respectful and polite throughout his entire life. He's always been a lad but much more good than bad.

As for the other stuff, he took some time to settle into AFL life, the fame and money and spare time was a trap for him, no question but so it is for most players.

Without saying too much, people don't realise how close he came to blowing his career away in the early years and he is very lucky some hijinks never became public or I doubt he would be at Richmond or even in the AFL.

I think what really turned him from talented to superstar was when people close to him sat him down and really let him have it about pissing his talent down the drain. He listened, took it well and never looked back. He's still a lad but has learnt there's a time and a place and it is more enjoyable when you've earned it.

Personally I couldn't speak more highly of him. He always stops and says hello when I see him, treats my kids like they are special and remembers their names even though he might run into them once a year at the footy. Never missed sending me a birthday message in 20 years, took me into the rooms after 2017 when we ran into each other by chance. Footy aside, I find him to be a warm and gentle young bloke and I'd be happy to see my daughter end up with someone just like him.

Thanks mate appreciated, great insight.

When he recently spoke of the Origin game and the bushfires It made me reflect where he is now to what we (outsiders/supporters) saw during the formative years.

It was widely accepted during his last contract that he needs to make as much money out of footy as he can as he has no real possibility of anything else (yes I know he has a clothing line) after footy...

Given hes growth and to what he appears now i think he has great opportunities post footy whatever he puts his energies into.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

Great insight.

The same can be said about his dad. I have nothing but good things to say about him.

Reactions: 1 user

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
A couple of weeks ago Natanui was saying he's had the perfect pre season and he's ready to go. Now he's not available for the All Stars game.
Typical West Coast.
Worried about travel fatigue.......****en whiners, move Perth closer then!

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
A couple of weeks ago Natanui was saying he's had the perfect pre season and he's ready to go. Now he's not available for the All Stars game.
Typical West Coast.

Has there ever been a player to have sooo much hype but never preforms because he is ALWAYS injured??
The bloke is a overrated... He is no better then Danihar or Moore.
They play one good game and then miss 10 weeks and everyone rates them as stars of the comp.
I must be flked but i cant remember the last time NitNat influenced the result of a game.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk

What are you doing on this board if you run water for another club? (or vice versa). :)

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014

Absolutely cracking insight TBR. Thanks for sharing.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Having watched some old state footy games in recent days on Fox.. reminded me of what some of the boys got up to at places like The Tunnel post match!
Who knows what these couple of rascally lookin' fellas would've been like back then? Can't imagine it would have been dull;)Studio_20200228_105216.jpg

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Has there ever been a player to have sooo much hype but never preforms because he is ALWAYS injured??
The bloke is a overrated... He is no better then Danihar or Moore.
They play one good game and then miss 10 weeks and everyone rates them as stars of the comp.
I must be flked but i cant remember the last time NitNat influenced the result of a game.

Matthew Kreuzerbfor Carltoon.