Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Our 1991 draft when Yabby Jeans took over saw us draft 7 players in the National Draft who played a grand total of ZERO games! Todd Hawes, Shaun Brooker, Glenn Hoffman, Nick Roney, Jay Burton, John Kennedy (after he retired from the Hawks) and Paul Dimattina (went onto a good career with the Dogs) made for ugly reading. Trading away our early draft picks for Stawbs O'Dwyer (5 games), Stevan Jackson (21 games) and Todd Breman (25 games - Turbo was a magnificent kick!) meant we had plenty of holes in our list! Back on topic, so grateful we drafted Dusty - he is the best Tiger I have had the privilege of watching play for the Tigers in 45 years.

Last edited:

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Dusty abusing him back in the centre square after he dived was interesting ,he is not a serial sledger , love to know what he actually said to him , the look on dangers face suggested his feelings were hurt ,

He was hardly sighted again after that
The look on Danger’s face looked like he was soiling his shorts.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Or Ben Lennon, Alex Gilmour, Pat Steinfort, Justin Murphy, Wayne Hernaman and Richard Lounder :)

Alex Gilmore unbelievable
Given the number 29 and disappeared with the other 1000 before and after him.
Raines was the best of that draft

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Dusty abusing him back in the centre square after he dived was interesting ,he is not a serial sledger , love to know what he actually said to him , the look on dangers face suggested his feelings were hurt ,

He was hardly sighted again after that

In all seriousness, take away Dangerfield's speed and times good hands, he isn't as good as they all make him out to be.
He stands out in an era of very low quality footballers.
He isn't as good as Hird, McLeod, Judd, Kerr, Buckley and even in this era better then Fyfe or Bomatelly. He isn't Dustin Martin's jock strap.

Reactions: 1 users

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Alex Gilmore unbelievable
Given the number 29 and disappeared with the other 1000 before and after him.
Raines was the best of that draft
He did get KB's number, you are right Zips!
Yes, Rainsey looked good for a couple of years!

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
He did get KB's number, you are right Zips!
Yes, Rainsey looked good for a couple of years!

Those years between 1987 all the way to 2008, we would struggle to find anything of any quality, unless we traded away our picks.
By mid June, we would be streaming through Football magazines to see who's going to be in the top 10 in the draft. regardless what was mentioned we would always pick some kid that just wasn't up to it.
We have turned it around in the last 10-12 years.
The worse one was in the 2009 or 2010 draft.
Inside football draft edition, "tall mobile forward, great replacement for Richo" Tom Lynch........
We picked Conca,

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Those years between 1987 all the way to 2008, we would struggle to find anything of any quality, unless we traded away our picks.
By mid June, we would be streaming through Football magazines to see who's going to be in the top 10 in the draft. regardless what was mentioned we would always pick some kid that just wasn't up to it.
We have turned it around in the last 10-12 years.
The worse one was in the 2009 or 2010 draft.
Inside football draft edition, "tall mobile forward, great replacement for Richo" Tom Lynch........
We picked Conca,
We did take Reece as a left-field pick in 2010. I remember he wasn't on the original invitation list for the top-10 picks unveiling ceremony and was a last minute call up when we let the AFL know who we were picking. Eventually getting Dion, Cadds and Lynchy to the Tigers from our 'Gold Coast Academy' has helped correct that situation :)

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
We did take Reece as a left-field pick in 2010. I remember he wasn't on the original invitation list for the top-10 picks unveiling ceremony and was a last minute call up when we let the AFL know who we were picking. Eventually getting Dion, Cadds and Lynchy to the Tigers from our 'Gold Coast Academy' has helped correct that situation :)

True. Conca was rated to be taken by WC or Freo with a pick in the 20-30's.
Lynch was pick 11
Gc are useless, but have been our saviour for finding gems.
Let's take Sexton off them too..:))

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
True. Conca was rated to be taken by WC or Freo with a pick in the 20-30's.
Lynch was pick 11
Gc are useless, but have been our saviour for finding gems.
Let's take Sexton off them too..:))
Yep, Sexton would be welcome to join his mates at Tigerland!

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Who did we get with the compensation pick for Conca, was it Jack Ross? If Jack can become the player I think he can, the drafting of Conca may be a blessing.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Who did we get with the compensation pick for Conca, was it Jack Ross? If Jack can become the player I think he can, the drafting of Conca may be a blessing.
Actually don't think we got a compo selection for Reece... happy to be corrected.
Jack Ross was a 2nd rounder with no strings attached from memory.

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Hey Tigerman, we lost Reece as a Free Agent and picked up a blond bloke who plays full forward from the Gold Coast as a Free Agent, so they cancelled each other out!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Actually don't think we got a compo selection for Reece... happy to be corrected.
Jack Ross was a 2nd rounder with no strings attached from memory.

Conca, a West Australian, has joined the Dockers on a three-year deal.
The AFL confirmed Richmond would receive a draft pick at the end of the second round (currently Pick 36) as compensation.

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
Had a call from the great man yesterday, wanting to check the details on a few drills we used to do when he was preparing for the draft so he could use them with some of the younger guys.

He is locked and loaded, feeling refreshed and ready to go and is super fit. If you are a betting person, you could do much worse than to invest on a second Charlie.
Although I would be happy if he does what he needs to during the H&A and wins a 3rd Gary Ayers Award and Norm Smith :D

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Had a call from the great man yesterday, wanting to check the details on a few drills we used to do when he was preparing for the draft so he could use them with some of the younger guys.

He is locked and loaded, feeling refreshed and ready to go and is super fit. If you are a betting person, you could do much worse than to invest on a second Charlie.

If that happened all glasses down, debate over. No.1 Tiger.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

Is he giving them tips to do on their own or starting a career in coaching?

When Dusty wins his 2nd Brownlow/Norm Smith double this year, he has to be part of every all time GOAT discussion. He really gets short changed in a lot of those discussions (not that he'd care I assume). He's too selfless and gives off when he can do things himself. He's unlike every other GOAT.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Mentoring some of the young blokes I think, wants to show them some of the extra stuff he was doing that helped in his first couple of years.

The mature Dusty certainly is an asset in so many ways, on and off field.

Makes you feel proud to support the team he plays for (also a lot of fun :) )

DS

Reactions: 5 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
People forget the captain has been a huge influence on Dusty.
Im not sure he would be the same player/bloke he is today without the friendship with Trent

Reactions: 2 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
When Dusty wins his 2nd Brownlow/Norm Smith double this year, he has to be part of every all time GOAT discussion. He really gets short changed in a lot of those discussions (not that he'd care I assume). He's too selfless and gives off when he can do things himself. He's unlike every other GOAT.

Agree. Also why I'm so pissed at the whole COVID thing. Yes I miss the footy but, more than that, we are losing 25% of Dusty in his prime. Not dissimilar to stopping Da Vinci from adding the last 25% of the Mona Lisa

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Agree. Also why I'm so pissed at the whole COVID thing. Yes I miss the footy but, more than that, we are losing 25% of Dusty in his prime. Not dissimilar to stopping Da Vinci from adding the last 25% of the Mona Lisa

*smile*