Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Don't think the Dusty one is licensed to fight, also highly unlikely that he'd be permitted to fight someone as experienced as Zarrafa when he hasn't actually stepped into the ring Amateur or Pro before. It'll just be a bit of media noise.

..... and there is no way the RFC would give Dusty permission - their biggest individual investment with plenty of years to go on his contract - just no way would it be allowed to happen even if Dusty wanted to.

Life after footy is different

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Think I read somewhere that he's mates with Dusty n that Dusty's done some training, maybe even sparring with Zarrafa. Probably nothing more than a bit of publicity hype n banter going on. Isn't Zarrafa supposed to be fighting Choc Mundine in a couple of weeks?
You’ve got it right, TM. This is Zerafa doing some promoting. I notice Dusty hasn’t dignified it with a response.

Reactions: 1 user

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
The opposition have figured it out and it’s much less effective these days. Opponents now try to grab the arm instead of going for the body when Martin does the don’t argue.
He gets the ball amongst five opposition players, that's better than a don't argue

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Wouldn't have thought it, or said it a few years ago, but Dusty should be seriously considered as our next Captain.
He has an insatiable desire to get better, sets a great example on the training track, and his playing performances speak for themselves.
He probably might not want the Captaincy, but if does want it, it would be well deserved.
Five time Norm Smith Medalist and Premiership Captain would have a nice ring to it.

Reactions: 3 users

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
Didn't Scully grow up a Tigers supporter?

If he is retiring because he its too uncomfortable around the squad at Hawthorn then maybe... might be worth inquiring?

Last edited:

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Didn't Scully grow up a Tigers supporter?

If he is retiring because he its too uncomfortable around the squad at Hawthorn then maybe he just needs a new 'home'?

Not worth inquiring? Ramafications?

he still had a poster of Lids on his wall after he was drafted to Melbourne

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
he still had a poster of Lids on his wall after he was drafted to Melbourne
I just took down my poster of Griffens.
Its worth about a million bucks.
It's a poster of him actually playing.
Very rare...

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Dustin Martin strikes me as someone who just doesn't want to public speak or claim the limelight.

Fair enough, not everyone wants to be the focus of attention. He contributes so much to our club and you do get the impression he provides leadership away from the spotlight.

So why would we ask him to be Captain when he already contributes so much and there are so many aspects of that position he gives every indication he has no interest in?

I really couldn't see the club even thinking about this, just makes no sense.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
It's a bit similar to Warne in the Australian team. He would have been the best captain Australian cricket has ever seen but he didn't have the right off-field personality for the job.

Did that mean he had any less input into the way the side prepared and played or didn't speak his mind tactically and have a huge say on what happened on the field? Absolutely not.

Warne was and is a Showbag.
Cricket might look like a team sport, but ive always seen it as a individual base game.
Martin would be a great captain.
If i was an 18 year old looking at Dusty as a captain, it would have me switched on constantly.
The bloke is an enigma.