Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact [email protected] // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check that your email is correct and also your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
I hadn't remembered mention of Varcoe, but interestingly he went later to Geelong. Suspect Varcoe may have been favoured by Frank, but Miller wanted Oakley-Nichols.
At one of these sessions I recall asking about the recruitment of an x Footscray player? in exchange for an early pick and Frank just shrugged his shoulders and shook his head. While he was our senior recruiter I think his judgement may often have been stuffed by the efforts of Miller and Wallace?
I also attended these. Frank was a part timer talent spotter prior to the 2005 draft - Miller was running the show. Miller's preferences for pick 7 that year were JON, Varcoe and Courtney Dempsey. I recall Miller did not think much of Shannon Hurn. :D

I also distinctly recall the following year that Miller was adamant that Joel Selwood would not be an AFL player due to his dodgy knees and being below par in a range of testing metrics. :rotfl2

I loved those evenings, I couldn't believe the transparency - but unfortunately MIller did not have a clue what he was doing.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I also attended these. Frank was a part timer talent spotter prior to the 2005 draft - Miller was running the show. Miller's preferences for pick 7 that year were JON, Varcoe and Courtney Dempsey. I recall Miller did not think much of Shannon Hurn. :D

I also distinctly recall the following year that Miller was adamant that Joel Selwood would not be an AFL player due to his dodgy knees and being below par in a range of testing metrics. :rotfl2

I loved those evenings, I couldn't believe the transparency - but unfortunately MIller did not have a clue what he was doing.

His career lasted so long after 1 single recruit he brought to North Melbourne in the late 80's.
His name was Wayne T Carey.
He couldn't pick his nose, let alone a quality kid in a draft.
Miller and Grubby Allen would be the worse 2 recruiters.

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

I was once on fight to Brisbane and was sitting next to Scott Clayton and he laughed as soon i told him i was a Richmond supporter.
Where is that Fkwit now??

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Martin is in the Top 10 of the best ever footballers in the history of the game.
And is now alongside KB and Hart at punt Rd.
If i hear that Robbie Flower and Wayne Johnson were better i will spew up.
My 10 best mids ive seen in the last 30 years.
Dustin Martin
Scott Pendetbury
Greg Williams
Chris Judd
Greg Williams
James Hird
Michael Voss
Ben Cousins
Daniel Kerr
Ben Cousins

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
I would put Gary Ablett slightly ahead of Dusty at this stage but would expect Dusty to surpass him in the near future.

TigerPort

Tiger Superstar
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Just the facts as far as I see it. Having a kid part of a TAC cup squad for 16-18 months and then not even having a single conversation with any of the coaches who had watched every minute of training and playing he had done in that time, as well as having a pretty good knowledge of him as a person is pretty ordinary work I think.

There would be no need to talk to the coaches when it was clear from an early age that Martin was a talent.

The Big Richo

Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
There would be no need to talk to the coaches when it was clear from an early age that Martin was a talent.

Talent is only part of the equation.

I'll give an example of how things have changed. A few years ago there was a kid who was part of the AFL Academy program, which is the best of the best at 16 and 17 year old level. They take about 30 odd each year and only a tiny handful have ever not been drafted.

This kid was a likely type, good size, tested well and had a good top age year. Played in the national championship and looked a certainty to be a top 50 draftee, same as usual for kids who go through the program. Interviewed perfectly.

One club (and I suspect every club) had him on the short list as a potential second or third round pick and touched base with his TAC cup coach. He hated to do it but gave an honest appraisal of the kid. I won't say what he said but it was enough to make him undraftable. Followed up with state championship staff who confirmed the same, as did other adults who had worked with him.

Needless to say the club left him alone and funnily enough so did every other club. Was reported at the time as being a huge miss and he would surely be rookied. Wasn't rookied and has made no progress with his footy since, didn't even play state level.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerPort

Tiger Superstar
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Talent is only part of the equation.

I'll give an example of how things have changed. A few years ago there was a kid who was part of the AFL Academy program, which is the best of the best at 16 and 17 year old level. They take about 30 odd each year and only a tiny handful have ever not been drafted.

This kid was a likely type, good size, tested well and had a good top age year. Played in the national championship and looked a certainty to be a top 50 draftee, same as usual for kids who go through the program. Interviewed perfectly.

One club (and I suspect every club) had him on the short list as a potential second or third round pick and touched base with his TAC cup coach. He hated to do it but gave an honest appraisal of the kid. I won't say what he said but it was enough to make him undraftable. Followed up with state championship staff who confirmed the same, as did other adults who had worked with him.

Needless to say the club left him alone and funnily enough so did every other club. Was reported at the time as being a huge miss and he would surely be rookied. Wasn't rookied and has made no progress with his footy since, didn't even play state level.

You know more than me. Dusty's draft year was 11/12 years ago. So things may have changed but back then it was a different story.

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
Martin is in the Top 10 of the best ever footballers in the history of the game.
Dustin Martin
Scott Pendetbury
Greg Williams
Chris Judd
Greg Williams
James Hird
Michael Voss
Ben Cousins
Daniel Kerr
Ben Cousins
You've got Ben Cousins (WC) and Ben Cousins (Rich). I'd take out the Richmond one and put in Black from the Bears.

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
Dustin Martin
Scott Pendetbury
Greg Williams
Chris Judd
Greg Williams
James Hird
Michael Voss
Ben Cousins
Daniel Kerr
Ben Cousins
Take out 1 Ben Cousins and add Sam Mitchell and it looks about right

Tigers of Old

Proud of our Club.
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Dustin Martin
Scott Pendetbury
Greg Williams
Chris Judd
Greg Williams
James Hird
Michael Voss
Ben Cousins
Daniel Kerr
Ben Cousins
No Castagna? You're slipping zipper.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
No Castagna? You're slipping zipper.

Castagna for me, changed Richmond into what we are today.
Alongside Bulter and Rioli we are the team we are today thanks to them.
My kids and all mates know Castagna is my all time favourite Richmond player.

aoc1974

Tiger Superstar
Mar 1, 2015
I never realised that pick number 6 in this draft was a champion netballer..... hmmm, having seen him play in the grand final, things are so much clearer now!

Dustin and an extremely skinny DTLD.... *smile* time flies :(

Last edited:

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I never realised that pick number 6 in this draft was a champion netballer..... hmmm, having seen him play in the grand final, things are so much clearer now!

Dustin and an extremely skinny DTLD.... *smile* time flies :(

that vic country clip is amazing!

You would swear Dusty was a left footer from this footage

aoc1974

Tiger Superstar
Mar 1, 2015
that vic country clip is amazing!

You would swear Dusty was a left footer from this footage
Actually @eZyT that's exactly what I thought too.... ... hit up the 'netballer';) a number of times.... probably wouldn't have got a touch otherwise!