Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Agree, was a complete accident and football incident and both players were bracing for contact, what no-one has mentioned is that Lachie Neale also gave Dusty, (fairly), a little shove into Robertson which may have slightly contributed to outcome, (actually above shots show Neale's involvement).

I like the last pic, shows Dusty triumphant over both Neale and MR, at least for that split second.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Neale's shove might have been fair but he was holding Martin while not in possession of the ball, see the opposite angle pic above.

As for Robinson, to some extent he does bump as Martin has turned side on and he will collide with Martin before he can adjust his arms to tackle. That's not a criticism of Robinson, it is just that his speed towards the contest is such that he cannot adjust quickly enough to avoid a collision before he manages to tackle Martin.

Look at this in real time and it will also look a bit different.

Football incident. Robinson is attempting to tackle Martin's torso which is legal, if difficult given Martin's core strength. Martin turns slightly as he is trying to gather the ball and wants to deliver it forward. Robinson bumps as he is trying to get his arms in a position to tackle. It is a front on bump because the players are moving around and turning.

Just one of those things. It would normally lead to Martin and/or Robinson being winded, maybe a bruised rib or the like. In this case Martin got hit in the kidney which is just bad luck. It is also quite rare for this sort of incident to lead to hitting the kidney.

DS

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
As for Robinson, to some extent he does bump as Martin has turned side on and he will collide with Martin before he can adjust his arms to tackle. That's not a criticism of Robinson, it is just that his speed towards the contest is such that he cannot adjust quickly enough to avoid a collision before he manages to tackle Martin.

Dude. Bumps you turn side on. Martin turns side on, Robinson doesn't. you don't bump people with your chest, unless you are doing this.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Robinson did not bump and did not try to bump.

View attachment 12877View attachment 12878

Opposite angle

View attachment 12879

View attachment 12880

Robinson sets himself to tackle (front on position), Dusty fumbles the ball and turns side on to take the impact/tackle from Robinson. Debatable whether it's Dustin's own elbow that impacts his kidney with pressure from Robinson's frontal torso or possibly Robinson's left arm/elbow again with pressure from the torso.

In any case, Robinson positions to tackle but realises Dusty has turned side on to bump/brace and he will cop Dusty's shoulder/elbow - moves his left arm in to protect himself. You can see in the last photo MR's hand/forarm in a weak defensive position at Dusty's shoulder. No tucked elbow, no shoulder positioned to bump.

It's a football incident. No intent to bump, no case to answer. Not a dangerous tackle either, no case to answer. These impacts happen a hundred times a game, this was just bad, bad luck for Dusty.
Looking at the second still image, it's robinsons left elbow that caused the kidney damage. He raised it at the last moment. Looking at the footage it's hard to see where the damage came from but that still shot shows it.

I thought the contact was front on but the dirty sniper put his elbow right into Dustys kidney.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Dude. Bumps you turn side on. Martin turns side on, Robinson doesn't. you don't bump people with your chest, unless you are doing this.

Robinson doesn't turn side on because he is trying to tackle but Martin has turned to gather the ball and face the way he wants to dispose of the ball.

I thought I made that clear above . . .

DS

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Not quite, Dusty gathers...
View attachment 12882
Fumbles
View attachment 12883

Turns
View attachment 12884

we know the rest
Robinson doesn't turn side on because he is trying to tackle but Martin has turned to gather the ball and face the way he wants to dispose of the ball.

DS

As I said, Robinson bumps front on as he doesn't have time to tackle before the collision given Martin is turning to face forward.

DS

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Yep the elbow is what does the damage. I don't think it was deliberate or suspendable obviously but it certainly did plenty of damage. Far more than any minor concussion.

Going to be very weird not having him out there for the rest of the season.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The only one who did anything wrong was Neale. Clear shove in the back and yet another example of why it's so dangerous. But the AFL only pays in the back to reward crumplers.

Reactions: 1 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Those pics are what makes Robinson a reckless footballer. I don't think he meant to cause damage, but his methods on the field remind me of Apocalypse Now when the top army brass ask Willard (Martin Sheen) about Col Kurtz (Brando) methods. And Sheen replies, "I don't see any method at all Sir".

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Typical for a faux tough guy. Shites himself when someone runs at him
*smile*. Robinson did nothing wrong and shows plenty of courage. I’ve always liked the way he goes about it. One of the few lions players I like.

Reactions: 4 users

No left foot

Tiger Rookie
Aug 30, 2020
It's quite uncanny how every time a Richmond player is injured, someone has done the wrong thing and should be dealt with.

When you really slow down that footage, you can actually see Robinson pop on a gown, scrub up and open Dustin up to get at the kidney, while Lachie Neale assists.

If a Richmond player performed that sort of unauthorised surgery it would be all over the media and they'd get 6 weeks. Naturally, not a peep on this occasion.

How many of our organs are going to be harvested before this farce ends?
You forgot to mention Fagan on the sidelines holding the eski of ice slurry so he could ship the kidney to the highest bidder....Steve Hocking.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
*smile*. Robinson did nothing wrong and shows plenty of courage. I’ve always liked the way he goes about it. One of the few lions players I like.

he's cleaned up his disposal alot, some of his kicks were pretty on point against us. People will see what they want to see I guess.

Reactions: 2 users