Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Poor Dusty!

Dustin Martin was in intensive care and narrowly avoided surgery on kidney (paywalled)

Dustin Martin narrowly avoided surgery on his serious kidney injury and was in an intensive care unit until Tuesday.

But despite the likelihood he will remain in a Gold Coast hospital until next week, Richmond holds no fears over his recovery for Round 1 next year.

The Tigers star is in “good spirits” but “more sore than he thought he would be”, according to coach Damien Hardwick.

Martin’s lacerated kidney did not continue to bleed after his collision with Brisbane Lion Mitch Robinson, so he avoided surgery.

In most cases given the damage and force of the bump he would have needed surgery but the triple Norm Smith medallist’s recovery will still be lengthy.

After being moved from ICU on Tuesday he is still in a critical care unit on the Gold Coast, with doctors in no rush to discharge him as they continue to monitor his progress.

Doctors have ruled out any contact in training for three months, but with Martin able to resume by October he will be able to partake in a full pre-season.

Tigers coach Damien Hardwick said the star on-baller was in “good spirits” but wasn’t sure when he would be released from hospital.

“Dustin is still in hospital, we are not too sure when he’s going to come out. At this stage it looks likely, hopefully, over the weekend, but we are not too sure at the moment,” Hardwick said on Friday.

“The doctors are still looking at him and making sure he fully recovers.

“He’s sore. He’s a very strong lad, but he’s certainly a lot more sore than he thought he would be.

“It’s a significant injury, which is why he won’t play football for the remainder of the year. He’d love to be around us, he’d love to be with us, but he’s dealing with it the best he can.

“The one thing I’d say about Dustin is mentally he handles these things very well, he does a lot of work in that space. He’s in as good a place as he can be at present.”

The Tigers must win four of the last five games to give themselves their best shot at finals but after being trounced by Geelong in a 63-point defeat in Round 8, Hardwick admits the Tigers will be heavy underdogs against the Cats on Sunday.

“We’ve got a challenge, there’s no doubt about it, but we’ve been in these situations before and we’ve come out on top. It’s very much an underdog status for us but we’re looking forward to an enormous challenge versus a very good Geelong.“

Hardwick conceded Martin was a “hard player to replace”, but the return of veteran Shane Edwards for Sunday’s clash with Geelong could help off-set that.

“We’ve got some players we think can fulfil that role in a different manner that we are excited to be given an opportunity to and see how that pans out,” he said.

“But if we’re looking for one player to replace Dustin Martin we are going to be found short in that regard. It will certainly be a team effort. It will give us a different look.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Poor Dusty!

Dustin Martin was in intensive care and narrowly avoided surgery on kidney (paywalled)

Dustin Martin narrowly avoided surgery on his serious kidney injury and was in an intensive care unit until Tuesday.

But despite the likelihood he will remain in a Gold Coast hospital until next week, Richmond holds no fears over his recovery for Round 1 next year.

The Tigers star is in “good spirits” but “more sore than he thought he would be”, according to coach Damien Hardwick.

Martin’s lacerated kidney did not continue to bleed after his collision with Brisbane Lion Mitch Robinson, so he avoided surgery.

In most cases given the damage and force of the bump he would have needed surgery but the triple Norm Smith medallist’s recovery will still be lengthy.

After being moved from ICU on Tuesday he is still in a critical care unit on the Gold Coast, with doctors in no rush to discharge him as they continue to monitor his progress.

Doctors have ruled out any contact in training for three months, but with Martin able to resume by October he will be able to partake in a full pre-season.

Tigers coach Damien Hardwick said the star on-baller was in “good spirits” but wasn’t sure when he would be released from hospital.

“Dustin is still in hospital, we are not too sure when he’s going to come out. At this stage it looks likely, hopefully, over the weekend, but we are not too sure at the moment,” Hardwick said on Friday.

“The doctors are still looking at him and making sure he fully recovers.

“He’s sore. He’s a very strong lad, but he’s certainly a lot more sore than he thought he would be.

“It’s a significant injury, which is why he won’t play football for the remainder of the year. He’d love to be around us, he’d love to be with us, but he’s dealing with it the best he can.

“The one thing I’d say about Dustin is mentally he handles these things very well, he does a lot of work in that space. He’s in as good a place as he can be at present.”

The Tigers must win four of the last five games to give themselves their best shot at finals but after being trounced by Geelong in a 63-point defeat in Round 8, Hardwick admits the Tigers will be heavy underdogs against the Cats on Sunday.

“We’ve got a challenge, there’s no doubt about it, but we’ve been in these situations before and we’ve come out on top. It’s very much an underdog status for us but we’re looking forward to an enormous challenge versus a very good Geelong.“

Hardwick conceded Martin was a “hard player to replace”, but the return of veteran Shane Edwards for Sunday’s clash with Geelong could help off-set that.

“We’ve got some players we think can fulfil that role in a different manner that we are excited to be given an opportunity to and see how that pans out,” he said.

“But if we’re looking for one player to replace Dustin Martin we are going to be found short in that regard. It will certainly be a team effort. It will give us a different look.

So Dusty waves away the paramedics and ambulance in the rooms saying you'll have to wait till after the game to take me to ICU guys i need to return to the bench and cheer on the boys, celebrate a win and Jack's 300th:)

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Firstly, found Aston on Page 4.
Shame PRE.
Shame on all of us.
That is no way to treat a Legend.

So last we heard Norm is out of hospital however still in Qld.
Given their snap Lockodown hope he is ok mentally.
Anyone know if he can travel yet.
With his season (like ours) done and dare I say DUSTED :)) can he as Chairman Dan would say "Get on the Beers?"
Best wishes Norm.

Thanks for everything you have done for us so far.
Hoping your recovery is complete and you can return to your best.
Get well great man.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I’ve seen Mumford do it
Yes but everyone likes Mummy cos he's a big clumsy brute throwback to the the good ol days.

Mumford has also played for the AFLs darlings Sydney and Gee Whiz and you can also throw in Geesook.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
I reckon the champ is well and truly deserving of a longer spell. In racing parlance, he's been up for a long time.

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Deserves time off and visiting his dad would do the legend good.
Well deserved break.

maisie928

Tiger Cub
Aug 10, 2020
Gold Coast is a red zone so I guess he will need to do 14 days quarantine in Melbourne if he's not back already.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
If we were to somehow get deep into the finals, preliminary final week will have seen him have a full two months to recover. That's really plenty of time for the sort of injury he has.

If it gets to that point and he has recovered well and is medically clear, I wouldn't want to be the person trying to stop him playing.
I think we are all best off saying his season is done. If we make the semis and he is looking fit then maybe we can start the will he/wont he discussion.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
If we were to somehow get deep into the finals, preliminary final week will have seen him have a full two months to recover. That's really plenty of time for the sort of injury he has.

If it gets to that point and he has recovered well and is medically clear, I wouldn't want to be the person trying to stop him playing.
Yeah, the “if we made the GF would Dusty play” scenario was raised as soon as it was said he’d be out for the rest of the season.

IMO it’s a moot point, we ain’t making finals.

Reactions: 2 users

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
I'd hate it if he returned with a medical all-clear and then hurt himself again. These injuries need time.

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Great little video by the Lege.
He certainly doesn't use 500 words when less will do.
What a Lege.
Succinct.
End of.
Poor bloke's been on a fruit diet. ($hai mentioned during his re-signing interview on Ch 7 last night).
No rush.
Rest Grasshopper, rest.
Later, wax on/wax off! :))

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014

To me he certainly looks washed out and spoke with obvious fatigue in that video, as expected recovering from serious internal injuries. Based on that video he's a long way off playing contact sport so just let him rest with no pressure to play this year. It gives us time to assess other players on the list which is far more important this year than going deep into finals. Getting Flossy and Kamdyn back is good but they'll take a week or two to get back their touch as will the others who returned recently.