Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Further on from what I have heard. Latest is he has agreed to $$$ with Sydney. Its a reduction on what he is currently on. I assume that means we pay part of his salary.

Again just a rumour. So mods please feel free to move this to the rumour board.

Reactions: 1 users

tigers80

Tiger Legend
Jul 7, 2004
In this period of time without the great man it’s shown us we can still be a threat.
at first I was upset about him possibly leaving, now I’m in the camp of the RFC get a great deal.
I love DM but I love and support the RFC before anything else.

Reactions: 7 users

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Further on from what I have heard. Latest is he has agreed to $$$ with Sydney. Its a reduction on what he is currently on. I assume that means we pay part of his salary.

I can't see why we would pay a cent unless we were pushing him out. Show me a situation where a contracted player has actively wanted to break a contract and go to another team and his existing team have had to fork out part of the new contract?

Reactions: 12 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I can't see why we would pay a cent unless we were pushing him out. Show me a situation where a contracted player has actively wanted to break a contract and go to another team and his existing team have had to fork out part of the new contract?
All valid questions. Could also be what we might get in return.

Reactions: 1 user

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010

Interesting how good is your source from previous time's and what's mooted in return for us trade wise ?.

If he wants out no problems aslong as we a compensated we'll and we don't pay cent.

Reactions: 2 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014

Individually he can agree all he likes, but we should not pay a cent out of our salary cap to him in 2023 if he does leave.

If this turns out to be true I will absolutely filthy.

Reactions: 3 users

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Individually he can agree all he likes, but we should not pay a cent out of our salary cap to him in 2023 if he does leave.

If this turns out to be true I will absolutely filthy.
If Dusty does go to Sydney for the sake of the argument, it will be a trade off between his salary and what we get in a trade. If Tigers demand 1st Rd pick and a good player Swans will demand that we pay part of his salary. I think this will be a fair arrangement if it comes to pass.

Reactions: 3 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Interesting how good is your source from previous time's and what's mooted in return for us trade wise ?.

If he wants out no problems aslong as we a compensated we'll and we don't pay cent.
After this season Dusty at his lowest value ever, won't get much which is why I hope he stays.

Reactions: 1 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
If Dusty does go to Sydney for the sake of the argument, it will be a trade off between his salary and what we get in a trade. If Tigers demand 1st Rd pick and a good player Swans will demand that we pay part of his salary. I think this will be a fair arrangement if it comes to pass.
If he leaves we will be just clearing cap space, forget about 1st rounders and Warner in the deal.
If the club thinks it can use his money on 2 X 650-700k players he will walk.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014

Disagree entirely. Clubs partially pay the salary of players they want out of the door (Treloar to the Bulldogs). They don't pay the salary of players they want to keep, which we do. Did Fremantle pay part of Cerra's salary once he decided he wanted to go to Carlton? We're not running a St Vinnies shop here.

Reactions: 7 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

No reason to doubt them. No idea on trade.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
If Martin goes to Sydney then we get their two first round picks (theirs and Melbournes)

Then deal with GWS for one or two of their mids

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

Sydney can demand all they want - but I can‘t see us paying a cent to them tbh.

We don’t want Dusty to leave, and I don’t believe he has indicated he wants to leave - and there is no way Sydney would let out any details anyway …… so I might find a thread of interest as I don’t believe in these types of rumours.

Remember, the last time this was happening, Dusty didn’t hide anything and even went and talked to GWS in the full public glaze - it’s not his style folks - let Dusty mend his body in peace.

RobsJourney

Tiger Cub
Sep 24, 2020
Just wanted to make a post, I see a lot of negativity toward Dusty if he was to leave us...

Let's just remember that if you forget fans exist, this is basically no different to changing jobs. He wants to change "jobs" to give himself a better quality of life. He's not doing this to stuff fans over or cause he doesn't care about them, he'd be doing it because it's what HE needs in his life.

Consider what he's been through...

Last year he copped a nasty, nasty injury, he lost a lot of weight and I'm sure at times looked like potentially never playing again. It would have taken so much hard work to get back to health and AFL-level fitness again.

That's only half of it though. Consider the mental side; this is a guy who had missed about 4 or 5 games ever, he felt bulletproof, he didn't know this kind of injury nor this kind of crashing to earth. Can you imagine feeling like you're a man-mountain and then having that taken away? It would be hugely, hugely impactful on your mental state.

So he works his way through all that and then his Dad, his rock, his no.1 in the whole wide world, dies suddenly, and there are potentially circumstances unknown to the world that are making it even worse than it otherwise is. And this wasn't even 12 months ago...

So we simply cannot know just how much anguish Dusty is going through right now...

Where did Dusty grow up for a big period of his life? NSW.

If, IF he wants to go, we should really be wrapping our arms around him as a star of our recent past and a legend of the club. Our feeling should be go, be where you need to be, we'll still cheer when you kick goals for the Swans against us.

If I hear one boo when he gets the ball against us I'll be pretty pissed...

Anyway, I say just let him do what he needs. We're not far off a rebuild anyway, so the timing probably suits us.

Reactions: 6 users

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
Just wanted to make a post, I see a lot of negativity toward Dusty if he was to leave us...

Let's just remember that if you forget fans exist, this is basically no different to changing jobs. He wants to change "jobs" to give himself a better quality of life. He's not doing this to stuff fans over or cause he doesn't care about them, he'd be doing it because it's what HE needs in his life.

Consider what he's been through...

Last year he copped a nasty, nasty injury, he lost a lot of weight and I'm sure at times looked like potentially never playing again. It would have taken so much hard work to get back to health and AFL-level fitness again.

That's only half of it though. Consider the mental side; this is a guy who had missed about 4 or 5 games ever, he felt bulletproof, he didn't know this kind of injury nor this kind of crashing to earth. Can you imagine feeling like you're a man-mountain and then having that taken away? It would be hugely, hugely impactful on your mental state.

So he works his way through all that and then his Dad, his rock, his no.1 in the whole wide world, dies suddenly, and there are potentially circumstances unknown to the world that are making it even worse than it otherwise is. And this wasn't even 12 months ago...

So we simply cannot know just how much anguish Dusty is going through right now...

Where did Dusty grow up for a big period of his life? NSW.

If, IF he wants to go, we should really be wrapping our arms around him as a star of our recent past and a legend of the club. Our feeling should be go, be where you need to be, we'll still cheer when you kick goals for the Swans against us.

If I hear one boo when he gets the ball against us I'll be pretty pissed...

Anyway, I say just let him do what he needs. We're not far off a rebuild anyway, so the timing probably suits us.
But he isn't leaving.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Read that Franklin is possibly selling up and moving to GC
Thatd leave enough room in Swans salary cap for a star player
There is no way a 35 year old forward goes to the suns especially since they have King coming back next year