Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

With Dusty being an unrestricted free agent, if he wanted to leave there'd be no option for us to match and trade, or sign and trade. We'd get whatever compo the monkeys on ALF House typewritten came up with, minus the Richmond tax.

If he has a great year he could conceivably attract an offer of 5 x 800 that would take him to 38, and they'd still probably give us a third rounder, or maybe end of second. Given we're looking to be flush with top 30 picks again, a la 2021, I'm not sure a pick around 40 would be better for us than a few more years of our now dozen or more Superhunks getting to play and train with the GOAT. In fact I'm sure it's not.
If he went as a free agent, those bastards at AFL House would find a way to give us 0 compo for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Our Dusty is 33 in June. Who was the last 33 year old to switch clubs?
I’m sure there has been a few. But Luke Hodge is the only one I recall off the top of my head. And his original club didn’t want him anyway.

Hawthorn got pick 42 from memory for the 31 year old I.Smith. We got pick 39 for the 27 year old Ellis ?

One things for sure dusty walks and even at his age we will be in no way fairly compensated.

Reactions: 5 users
If Dusty leaves Richmond, it will not be for money. That argument just doesn't stack up.

He will earn a lot more post footy as a one club player, and people seem to forget that he is actually more valuable to the Tigers than realistically any other club both on field and off field, so we will not low ball him.

What I can see is him retiring at the end of this year. I think that is far more likely than him going to another club.

Reactions: 1 users
If Dusty leaves Richmond, it will not be for money. That argument just doesn't stack up.

He will earn a lot more post footy as a one club player, and people seem to forget that he is actually more valuable to the Tigers than realistically any other club both on field and off field, so we will not low ball him.

What I can see is him retiring at the end of this year. I think that is far more likely than him going to another club.
Hear what you're saying, Heath, but can't see it happening.

By all reports Aston has returned in fine fettle.
Dropped kg's and looking lean and primed.
Can't see him doing this for 1 last year.

I personally think he has bought in to the Oozy manifesto.
He would have had a great chat with Ooze.
He is super invested.
Maybe he will have his role tweaked and needs to be leaner!

Why can't we do a Carringbush?
Host of young kids coming through.
Make Finals this year, and really give it a shake in 2025.

Ergo, can see The Dust Buster pumping 3 more years out.
Minimum.

A one club 350 game Legend.
2 Charlies.
4 Flags.
4 Norms.

Goes alright, The Castlemaine Jet!

Immortal.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Hear what you're saying, Heath, but can't see it happening.

By all reports Aston has returned in fine fettle.
Dropped kg's and looking lean and primed.
Can't see him doing this for 1 last year.

I personally think he has bought in to the Oozy manifesto.
He would have had a great chat with Ooze.
He is super invested.
Maybe he will have his role tweaked and needs to be leaner!

Why can't we do a Carringbush?
Host of young kids coming through.
Make Finals this year, and really give it a shake in 2025.

Ergo, can see The Dust Buster pumping 3 more years out.
Minimum.

A one club 350 game Legend.
2 Charlies.
4 Flags.
4 Norms.

Goes alright, The Castlemaine Jet!

Immortal.

I probably wasn’t very clear on what I was saying. I think he is more likely to retire than go somewhere else. Not saying he will retire. The scenarios in order of probability for me are:

1. He plays this season and signs a new contract with Richmond.

2. He decides to call it quits

3. Daylight

4. He goes to another club

Having read his book it’s pretty clear he just loves playing football, helping others, having strong and private 1:1 relationships and improving himself. Not sure where else he is going to get that once he retires.

Personally I’m hoping for a Tom Brady and Dusty with his focus on how to recover and prepare snapping everyone’s brain in half with the longevity of his career.

Having read his book it’s pretty clear he just loves playing football, helping others, having strong and private 1:1 relationships and improving himself. Not sure where else he is going to get that once he retires.

Personally I’m hoping for a Tom Brady and Dusty with his focus on how to recover and prepare snapping everyone’s brain in half with the longevity of his career.
Open an upmarket yoga salon for loaded hipsters.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Dusty300 on track for Geelong in Geelong. After that it's Crows over there then Hawks at the G. My tip is he'll miss a couple more and it'll be v Blues after the bye.

Going to be very interesting to see how Dusty goes tonight.

Sure it was a practice match last time out vs the Pies but there were just some small signs again that he's slowing down just a touch.
It's totally understandable of course. He is in veteran class now.
My concern is the last thing we need right now is another mid paced midfielder.

That said he's a bit like the supermodel who didn't get out of bed for less than 10k.
Here's hoping the Goat's strong preseason translates & he has an impact. We need him to.

Did dusty tweak something (quad again?) during the game & battled on because of our situation ?

If not…his geriatric movement was an indictment on our selection panel & the great man himself.

Contract talks off till the end of the year.

Do what you want legend.

Reckon he goes to GWS and gets them their first flag next year.

Won us 3 flags. Can do whatever he wants IMO.

Reactions: 7 users
Contract talks off till the end of the year.

Do what you want legend.

Reckon he goes to GWS and gets them their first flag next year.
Don’t reckon they need him. Wouldn’t be surprised if they win it this year.

still smart, a bit slow. he'll play 300 with us. that's what matters. it's a beautiful thing.