Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

tropicaltiger

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Jan 11, 2003
cairns
wake up, dusty was always is good in early games which a lot are helter skelter but then ripped it apart after the mid year bye. dusty aint as nimble as he used to be, wait till the whips are cracking after round 14 or so and he will move into overdrive and get his 15-22 brownlow votes.

Reactions: 1 user

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
Reckon he has “ checked out “
Seems to float in and out of games and lost a bit of motivation
Privately he has told those close to him that he won’t be there next year , but “ they say “ . He said the same about GWS and now recently Gold Coast
More likely to retire than go on next year
It’s nearly over unfortunately
Been a great journey

richards42

making the crowd roar
Sep 15, 2005
Gold Coast
Reckon he has “ checked out “
Seems to float in and out of games and lost a bit of motivation
Privately he has told those close to him that he won’t be there next year , but “ they say “ . He said the same about GWS and now recently Gold Coast
More likely to retire than go on next year
It’s nearly over unfortunately
Been a great journey
Definitely closer to the end, but Dusty often starts the season slowly and then works his way into it(barring 2017 where he dominated all year). We will see flashes of the old champ, just not as often. It's Shai's time now.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
No doubt Dusty is still valuable when he has the ball, it's without the ball that is the concern. Previously this wasn't an issue when we were good but now that we're rebuilding it is.

Reactions: 4 users

Ripplestick

Tiger Champion
Jan 18, 2007
For a guy who reportedly struggled with motivation after achieving it all in 2017, who then backed it up in 2019 and 2020, I can't see his motivation being high with his close mates gone and no more success on the horizon at the RFC.

I watched him closely yesterday, after we scored etc. He wasn't enthused other than an early goal I think to lynch. Even Baker's goal at 3/4 time he didn't rush in to celebrate like everyone else.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
What’s was all this crap having the best pre season in years and being in the best shape ever?
They said the same about Dion.

Dusty does not look motivated either (why would he be). As Harry said he is a liability defensively - everywhere.

Greatest Tiger I have seen, and he still has moments (the pass to D Rioli no one else makes). Let him decide where and when he wants to finish.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
No doubt Dusty is still valuable when he has the ball, it's without the ball that is the concern. Previously this wasn't an issue when we were good but now that we're rebuilding it is.
We knew that 3 yrs ago.
He isn't Mr Defence.
He has never been a defensive midfielder.
But what can we do now.
I would give a 1 yr deal otherwise we can have a farewell game against GC in round 23.
I watched Michael Roach at VFL park in his last year he couldn't break into a jog let alone lead.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Honestly I’d prefer a hungry younger player getting the opportunities if his heart is no longer in it. Much as he’s a Richmond legend I couldn’t care less about the 300 game personal milestone.
Rest him if he’s not fit or struggling. Like Broad put him on ice.
No doubt Dusty still did some great things in the first half (9 score involvements) but after half time with the game on the line he went missing.
300 games is a big deal to the club to generate some hype (& coin) but I sure don’t want to see the champ limping his way through the year. Hope he plays better this weekend.

Reactions: 6 users

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
No individual is bigger than the club, even one with such an iconic and legendary status as Dusty.

Hope he is able to build into the year strongly from here.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
It’s January. A bit early to write off the bloke who used to be good at football.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
They said the same about Dion.

Dusty does not look motivated either (why would he be). As Harry said he is a liability defensively - everywhere.

Greatest Tiger I have seen, and he still has moments (the pass to D Rioli no one else makes). Let him decide where and when he wants to finish.
Yeah doesn't look into the game at all.
He drifts in and out these days.

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
What we are seeing now is not Dusty, Dylan and Dion. We are seeing the superannuation scheme rightly working for players who were once great.
It's no big deal. Enjoy the occasional cameos. :cupgold :cupgold :cupgold

Reactions: 9 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Very strange reading this thread. To me Dusty is essentially the same as he's always been. A few quiet H&A games early in the season, (1 so far, he was great in the Carlton game), pretty normal Dusty, but he is only human. He will be keeping us in games rather than winning them these days (Carlton game), he has to adapt to a team in flux and a new coach, both challenging. and yeah he is a bit older, but should have been AA last year and the Dusty we all know and love was on display in the Carlton game. There were a few moments when I just thought 'Holy crap, he never ceases to amaze'. (one in particular on the wing in very heavy traffic, he just made a slight move as if he was going right, 15 oppo and tigers all went right, he steps left, and in an instant, an instant, he's in an acre of space. Incredible.)

This idea of ditching all our older players is bizzare. Especially one of the greatest of all time, and one who will knock on the door of AA again this year (and be again denied by a petty, jealous dumb media regardless of his claims). I want Dusty to play his full career with us, and nurture and lead the next gen. If you were a young player, would you rather run on with Dustin Martin, or Tyler Sonsie?

Dustin Martin had a quiet game therefore its all over? Weird.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Dusty has never been strong with defensive mind set. Other players like Lambert covered for him defensively

Dusty's defensive mantra is all out attack

Skipper9

Tiger Cub
Dec 21, 2022
I shake my head at some people in this thread.

Whilst I am all for introducing kids and giving them development minutes; never, and I mean never, will I do that at the expense of someone like Dustin.

Rest Grimes, rest Broad, rest Pickett, Mccintosh, whoever else you bloody want. But there are some people that deserve to go out on their terms and their terms only.. the 3 people that immediately spring to mind are Trent Cotchin, Jack Riewoldt, and Dustin Martin.

I couldn't care less if Dustin's output was minimal for the rest of his playing days in the yellow and black.

As long as he wants to pull on our jumper, I'll be grateful, and so should you.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Very strange reading this thread. To me Dusty is essentially the same as he's always been. A few quiet H&A games early in the season, (1 so far, he was great in the Carlton game), pretty normal Dusty, but he is only human.
He attended 4 CB on the weekend! 4, when we were missing Dion & Hopper. Hard to understand.

If he was great in the Carlton game I would have predicetd we would win. Reckon he has been a slightly different player since that lacerated kidney.

Still does stuff not many can do, but my personal expectations of what we will get from him are a lot lower now.

Not sure the further accentuated running game style doesn't really suit him, he's much more effective when there is lots of confusion & chaos & contests. This boring uncontested marking, chip kick, stand, run run run, switch chip kick stand, run run run crap is for athlete's not footballers.

He has to play, but doubt he drags us over the line like he once did.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

YeOldeTiger

Tiger Rookie
May 25, 2020
Far Side of the Moon
Looks to me to be playing sore since the corky. Not able to stretch out or hit top pace, but not injured enough not to play. I guess 80% Dusty is still better than most players.

I'm not ready to write him off yet after a stellar year last year and a good strong preseason. Just bad timing to cop a niggling injury right at the front end of the year. Once he's 100% again (hopefully soon) we might see the Dusty of old...

Reactions: 2 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Would like to see him play more around stoppages and centre bounces. Let him follow the ruck. He can use his big arse and contested work in tight to help our clearances. Doesn't need to run and chase as much. Use him like Carlton use cripps.