Dusty and Ben Crowe | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dusty and Ben Crowe

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
For those who have access to the Herald Sun web site have a look at a wonderful story line about Dusty and Ben Crowe.
I cannot post the link as that site is only available to HS subscribers.
Maybe it will end up in the paper but not sure about that.
It is a great read and tells how Dusty has evolved as a human being.
Also lists his many reading habits will will astound many.
Hope you can read it PREnders.

Reactions: 3 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
For those who have access to the Herald Sun web site have a look at a wonderful story line about Dusty and Ben Crowe.
I cannot post the link as that site is only available to HS subscribers.
Maybe it will end up in the paper but not sure about that.
It is a great read and tells how Dusty has evolved as a human being.
Also lists his many reading habits will will astound many.
Hope you can read it PREnders.
Sorry all. I accidentally have posted twice. Would moderator please remove one of them.

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014

Dustin Martin reveals all: The Story Continues book extract​

In 2017 Dustin Martin won a premiership, the Brownlow, the Norm Smith medal and Player of the Year, but all it made him feel was pressure not success.

Dustin MartinBook Extract

4 min read
October 17, 2021 - 9:16AM
Sunday Herald Sun
Dustin Martin achieved more in one year than most footballers will their entire careers, but it left him unfulfilled.

Dustin Martin achieved more in one year than most footballers will their entire careers, but it left him unfulfilled.

Entertainment

Don't miss out on the headlines from Entertainment. Followed categories will be added to My News.

After climbing to the top of the AFL mountain with his breathtaking on-field performances in 2017 Dustin Martin suddenly found himself with great expectations on his shoulders but little motivation.
He was a ‘human doing’ instead of a ‘human being’.
He needed someone to get inside his head and help him find his purpose.
In this edited extract from a new book The Story Continues by Dustin Martin it is revealed who Martin turns to for mentoring and his exploration of spirituality, self-awareness and self-worth.

Dustin Martin — The Story Continues.

Dustin Martin — The Story Continues.
Martin with his premiership and Norm Smith medals in 2017.

Martin with his premiership and Norm Smith medals in 2017.
Of course, achieving great things doesn’t always lead to fulfilment.
By the end of the 2017 season, Dustin Martin had won the premiership, and the Brownlow Medal, and the Norm Smith Medal, as well as the Gary Ayres Award for best player in the final series, then Player of the Year awards from both the AFL Coaches Association and the AFL Players’ Association, a second straight Jack Dyer Medal, too, not to mention an All Australian guernsey and a host of media awards all lauding his greatness.
Martin turned to another voice that rings in the ears of critical people at Tigerland, the life coach, professional mentor, athlete whisperer and storyteller Ben Crowe.
Crowe was once the youngest ever director at Nike, and in his second career has turned to working with professional athletes to unlock their stories, and their full self.
He has helped world number one tennis star Ash Barty, champion surfer Steph Gilmore, Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson, star wheelchair athlete Dylan Alcott, as well as groups, too – from the Australian cricket side to the senior leadership team at Facebook, a conference of Fortune 500 CEOs and members of the US Special Forces.
Martin also won the Jack Dyer Medal in 2017, but the accolades didn’t lead to the fulfilment he’d expected.

Martin also won the Jack Dyer Medal in 2017, but the accolades didn’t lead to the fulfilment he’d expected.
At Richmond, he has worked with president Peggy O’Neal, senior coach Damien Hardwick and captain Trent Cotchin – and in early 2018 he found himself face-to-face with Dustin Martin.
‘Dusty was feeling unfulfilled,’ Crowe says.
‘He had achieved, but he was unsatisfied, and was trying to make sense of those feelings, and was frustrated with the expectations of having to do it again next year.’
Crowe has worked with him in a mentoring capacity ever since.
Crowe explains: ‘If Dusty’s self worth is predicated on whether he wins another flag, or another Norm Smith Medal, well, that’s a pretty miserable existence, because he can’t control that.
‘Does that mean if he doesn’t win another one that he’s not good enough, or not worthy?’
‘It’s this idea of a human doing instead of a human being,’ Crowe says.
‘If you have to do something – achieve something – to be somebody, you’ll never be fulfilled or content or at peace or satisfied.
‘So we talked about what he wants to be going forward.
‘Brave and caring?
‘Adventurous and strong?
‘Because he can control that. He can’t control footy results.
Martin after winning the Brownlow in 2017. Picture: Getty

Martin after winning the Brownlow in 2017. Picture: Getty
‘Dusty was keen to courageously explore the depths of who he is, and find that unconditional self worth.
‘Watching an individual like him lean into something that most alpha males do not has been wonderful to see.
‘He went on that journey, and it’s been beautiful. The exploration of who he is and what lights him up, and what his values are and what his motivations are, and what his purpose is and his goals are – and who he is – has been deep. ‘And it meant he could then answer the second important question: What does he want out of life?’
Life coach Crowe points out that Martin loves poetry and quotes, the Gaia app – which produces documentaries and series about ancient wisdom, the nature of the universe, and unexplained phenomena.
The thing that might surprise people most about Martin, says Crowe, is his spirituality, from his Maori roots to his embrace of elements of Buddhism – not to mention the self-improvement and self-awareness literature on his night stand (such as) The Power of Now, the Japanese book The Courage to be Disliked, as well as Way of the Peaceful Warrior and the Toltec wisdom book The Four Agreements.
‘His voracious reading would surprise the hell out of people,’ Crowe says.
Still, he has his sanctuaries.
Personal development coach Ben Crowe says Dusty wants to be remembered as loving, caring and loyal.

Personal development coach Ben Crowe says Dusty wants to be remembered as loving, caring and loyal.
The rhythm and thud of a private boxing ring. Hours upon hours in the saddle of a road bike. Silent solo swims in the brine of Port Phillip. And of course the football field itself, in front of a madding crowd.
Martin’s ultimate purpose, in his own words?
He wants to help make people feel loved and appreciated, their lives a bit better and a bit happier.
How does he want to be remembered?
As a loving, caring, loyal person – someone who’s real and genuine, fun and funny to be around.
The values he holds dear are resilience, which he defines as not giving up
And optimism, including the genuine belief that something positive will come from all experiences, good and bad.

More Coverage​

Dusty’s $14m real estate shopping spree‘Are you going to die?’: The day Roughy got his cancer diagnosis
And acceptance, in realising you can’t change what has happened, and accepting this is the superpower that will allow him to move forward without worry.
This is an edited extract from The Story Continues by Dustin Martin (Hardie Grant Books, RRP $49.99). In stores nationally from 19 October.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Good article but I would argue that the statement that he can't affect football results is just plain wrong.

Reactions: 9 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Thanks for the heads up grey and posting duD.

He is more than a footballer, yes he has and can influence the results of games (just ask any cats supporter), he brings more to the game than just Dusty the footballer (which is a power just in itself).

I would be proud if he captained the side cause he is already a leader of men.

Reactions: 1 user

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Certainly showed a hidden side of Dusty, which we who don't know him, is a real surprise.
Depth of character not evident before.
Seems Crowe has had a big influence on him.
When I first saw the headline I was expecting Emma Murray to be front and centre,

Reactions: 1 users

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
I was at the club with my 2 boys for one of the Tigers members days. Run by Mark Williams and Dusty. I think it must have been his first year as he had to stand in front of the group and talk. There where around 30 people there. He was so shy he could not get his words out, I remember as I had done a lot of public speaking I knew the place he was in right then. I said take your time Dustin, we are looking forward to what you have to say. with that he took a deep breathe and started his talk about a day in the life of an AFL Footballer. Chocco was wonderful with Dusty and all the kids there that day, To see him now and the person he has become is a true testament that people can and do change in positive ways and he has grown so much as an individual.

Reactions: 6 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Good article but I would argue that the statement that he can't affect football results is just plain wrong.

I didnt find the pile of pulp new age wisdom beside his bed one bit surprising either.

I would have been surprised if it was say, A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, The Winter of our Discontent, Manufacturing Consent and Mortality

Reactions: 3 users

HeadandShin

Burning bright
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
I didnt find the pile of pulp new age wisdom beside his bed one bit surprising either.

I would have been surprised if it was say, A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, The Winter of our Discontent, Manufacturing Consent and Mortality
I’m actually a bit concerned about that reading list, and I made the same judgment about it. While Emma and now BC seem to have had positive effects on turning our players into happy, team-oriented winners (and hurrah for that), I’ve seen nothing to give me confidence about Dusty’s future (and future happiness and sense of purpose).

So after all this, he’s decided he wants to help people feel loved, and be remembered as a caring person - is that it? Very motherhood and apple pie. How will the drive that won him 2017 be fulfilled after football - where is the tangible path?

If he were reading Ivan Denisovich, or eg texts about disadvantage and remedial education, with a view to becoming a teacher in programs like Rance’s or Houli’s, I’d be far more impressed. The stuff cited here seems like those meals that leave you hungry 30 mins later.

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I’m actually a bit concerned about that reading list, and I made the same judgment about it. While Emma and now BC seem to have had positive effects on turning our players into happy, team-oriented winners (and hurrah for that), I’ve seen nothing to give me confidence about Dusty’s future (and future happiness and sense of purpose).

So after all this, he’s decided he wants to help people feel loved, and be remembered as a caring person - is that it? Very motherhood and apple pie. How will the drive that won him 2017 be fulfilled after football - where is the tangible path?

If he were reading Ivan Denisovich, or eg texts about disadvantage and remedial education, with a view to becoming a teacher in programs like Rance’s or Houli’s, I’d be far more impressed. The stuff cited here seems like those meals that leave you hungry 30 mins later.

yeah, he's a footballer,

he should have Captain Blood beside his bed.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
For me, the major message I take out is that Dustin is even far, far more than what he seems. No stereotype; he's a genuine individual with brilliant capabilities. But also a genuine thinker who is on a real journey (yer, I know, but excuse this pop jargon as the message is important). His remaining AFL career will be fascinating to watch, especially in recovery from this awful injury, but what DM does post-football will be just as fascinating to me. He should also be, unless he ever goes off the rails, totally secure financially.
The world is his oyster at the age of 30. Not a bad future.

Last edited:

Maneevo

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 13, 2011
dustin was into ‘the resilience project’ before most of us had heard of it. This article isn’t surprising to those who have followed his journey. I’m pretty sure it’s heavily referenced in one of konrads books