Electricity 'Smart' Meters | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Electricity 'Smart' Meters

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
We had a smart meter installed last week. Our dogs will be disappointed.

No information on how it works or how to use it to our advantage is disappointing.

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
We had the smartmeter installed last September and our Power Bills have reduced by 40% - they were excessive before the switch - maybe something wrong with the old meter.

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009
We had ours done in February and received the highest power bill ever. Might be a coincedence. Might not.

roacheee

Tiger Rookie
Jun 2, 2012
Its all about "time of use" metering

so the power companies can quantify and justify the huge power price rises

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Well. Meter readings. Smart meters. How it works as I understand it.

With the old meters, kinda analogue, it was pretty much impossible to get a fast reading. Slow readings were occasional because the analogue metres were mechanical and wore down. Exceptions were undocumented. But getting a dodgy reading is possible. But only a start reading or a final reading.

All the intermediate readings balance out. So no big deal.

When you get a smart meter you are faced with the prospect of a dodgy start reading. I guess. See, since I got a smart meter I've had many readings but no bills. So I don't know if my bills are higher.

Which brings me to my point. I haven't had a bill for fifteen months - since they changed my meter. Three years ago that meant that under the act I only had to pay nine months' bills because that is as far as a supplier can legally backbill - and then giving me nine months to pay.

Is anybody else in this (enviable) situation? Or has the law changed in the last two years?

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009
Dyer'ere said:
Which brings me to my point. I haven't had a bill for fifteen months - since they changed my meter. Three years ago that meant that under the act I only had to pay nine months' bills because that is as far as a supplier can legally backbill - and then giving me nine months to pay.

Is anybody else in this (enviable) situation? Or has the law changed in the last two years?

Hasn't happened to me but that's what I believe is the case.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
"Victorians will be slugged smart meter fees of up to $226 on their electricity bills next year.

The Australian Energy Regulator has approved charges for 2015 of $109.40 to $226.30, plus GST, for the most common type of smart meter, depending on where consumers live."

Bill shock: Smart meter charges set to cost most Victorians more in 2015

I can't believe the party responsible has just been voted back in. *smile* you Labor.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Can somebody clarify something for me please. I couldn't fully understand the article. Are they saying the increase is an annual fee or just for those who haven't received their 'smart' meter yet? Since mine was installed a few years back, and I'm already paying for something I never wanted in the first place, am I going to be charged extra on top of that?
I haven't seen any benefits at all since mine was installed, only higher electricity bills, despite using less power.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Legends of 1980 said:
Can somebody clarify something for me please. I couldn't fully understand the article. Are they saying the increase is an annual fee or just for those who haven't received their 'smart' meter yet? Since mine was installed a few years back, and I'm already paying for something I never wanted in the first place, am I going to be charged extra on top of that?
I haven't seen any benefits at all since mine was installed, only higher electricity bills, despite using less power.

You're already paying an annual fee for the smart meter. Three of the five Victorian distributors are increasing that fee because they still can't balance their books. The other two are reducing their fees (by 65 cents and $5 respectively).

The only benefit I can see is to cut costs for the supplier (manual readings no longer required). Otherwise it's (expensive) technology for technology's sake.

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
I'm wondering what these meters are worth. Surely once the initial cost has been recouped, power bills should come down except for maintenance (which should be recouped by not having to pay people to walk around reading meters all year long)

It seems it's bit like buying a car and paying it off in perpetuity long after the loan has been paid off.

The whole thing seems like one bit giant scam to me.