Enforcers and taggers | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Enforcers and taggers

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
What we lack bigtime in our team is someone who looks out for team mates in regards to the physical treatment they cop from the opposition.

I really like David King as a player, esp the earlier vintage David King. He's a dirty player but a really loyal, determined team player. Well I'd like him if he was a Tiger anyway.

It seems to me he's left to his own devices taking players out at will. I wonder if the action that put his team mate out for the season was an accident or intended for a Tiger.

I don't know who we have to give as much back to that type of player as they give out.

*Calling Birdman* ;D

The player who comes to mind is Dunc. He wouldn't give it out as such, but his tight physical presence might limit what someone like King can dish out.

People are calling for a free flowing game and no tagging, but I'm not 100% in agreeance with that. Sometimes taking one or two players out of the equation can make it easier for the likes of Cogs etc to play a more free flowing game.

Andy followed Goodes around the ground a couple of weeks ago and limited his effect. You could see the difference last night when Goodes was left to his own devices by Essendon.

I think we need Duncan in this team bigtime. The team is lacking leadership.

The players all respect Dunc and he certainly leads by example (No kicking jokes in reply thanks.)

Come back soon Dunc and show some of our players what 100% commitment to your team mates means.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Rosy, Duncan applies good physical pressure with his tackling, but he's not the sort of player who makes you think twice about putting your head over the ball, ala Glenn Archer or Dean Solomon. THOSE players are enforcers. Duncan is a mere tagger.

The closest thing we have to a enforcer is Greg Stafford. Richo could be it, but he can't do it within the rules of the game. I think Schulz could turn out to be an enforcer with any luck.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
In the words of someone else LMAOOOOOOOOOO......Like being back at school, ha. ;D

I do realise the difference John, and it's why I included both taggers and enforcers in the title of this thread.

I still think close physical presense can limit what a thug can do. Our options are very limited at the moment.

Why do you think of Jay as an enforcer? I have a friend who's a South Australian state selector who had a lot to do with Jay before he came over here.

From his description of Jay I think he's be amused to think of him as an enforcer. Maybe he's shown a new side to himself at Coburg?

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Speaking of hardmen and enforcers, i saw a battle of two titans yesterday at Coburg

Kayne Pettifer V Shane Clayton

And what a wrestle it was, both of them threatening to throw punches, or do something, but neither actually got around to doing it

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
LOL. Purely as a size factor rosy. Anyone who is 100 kilos at 18 years old is going to have some presence when they fully mature.

I also think Ben Holland could fill the thug role at our club and hopefully he does so when he comes back.

I think Duncan is good to tag some players, but in terms of protecting other team mates i think he is irrelevant. All he does is stop free running players, and they are hardly the type that do physical damage to our side. For example, stopping Buckley, Hird, McLeod is not really going to stop Kane Johnson and Mark Coughlan taking hits from opposition players.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
DragicevicFan said:
Kayne Pettifer V Shane Clayton

Surely Kayne could have snuck around and hit him from behind when he wasn't looking? (And then played for a free by diving on the ground and looking up at the umpire. ;D)

Help me I'm turning into fud, ha.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
(Just continuing from my previous, post) That is of course, unless players from the opposition turn their attention to knocking out Dunc so as to free up their free running players. In that sense, ok, Duncan could be a good decoy and take some hits that would otherwise be meted out to the likes of Coughlan and Johnson. Is this what you had in mind rosy? Hmmm...

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
IMO the enforcer types we have are Stafford and Zantuck. Otto could be one but he needs to get a bit of mongruel into him.

Around ruck contests we are in need of players who are willing to block/run through an opponent (not necessarily their own) and shepard their teammates going for the ball so we can clear the ball. Just because you don't have the ball doesn't mean you don't do the team things.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
JohnF said:
LOL. Purely as a size factor rosy. Anyone who is 100 kilos at 18 years old is going to have some presence when they fully mature.

Unless they are 10 times as placid and gentle as Otto. ;D

JohnF said:
For example, stopping Buckley, Hird, McLeod is not really going to stop Kane Johnson and Mark Coughlan taking hits from opposition players.

It would if it was the Buckley's Hirds inflicting the thuggery.

That's my point really, there's no set rule saying Dunc has to be on the Buckleys and Hirds.

If we don't have an enforcer, which we don't seem to, then we need to find some way to stop the opposition thug inflicting damage whoever it is.

David King was my example. There must be some way to stop him being able to do that.

If there is noone to give it back to him tag him so closely that he can't do it either. That someone mightn't be dirty themselves but would certaily have to be tough and determined.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Despite his size i think Feming is pretty good in that capacity Mighty. But we really need someone with the reputation of hurting people. Lets get Byron Pickett, ahahah!

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Comparing Dunc to King is an insult to King. One is an out and out matchwinning, premiership champion. Dunc is a mere journeyman, from a club full of losers. 15 other clubs would of delisted him years ago, but not those deadbeats from tigerland who love to hand out contracts to players who have no right to be playing in the highest comp in the land.
Time for a press conference sooner rather than later. Grant Thomas new what to do with mediocrity. That why he will be coaching AFL for many more years, while Danny is back at Bungaree coaching their reserves.

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
if the other players in our side attacked the sherrin in the straight lines that sir duncan does we would never lose a game.