Essendon = Entitlement | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Essendon = Entitlement

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
What I love about them is their new home at Tullamarine. What a shitful dump. What kid wants to spend a 10 year career driving out the Tulla, to be surrounded by distribution centres and popping out to the local Pie Face shop? Its only strategic advantage is a quick escape to Bali at the end of Round 22.

The ultimate non-destination club if ever there was one.
Yeah, it's got a bit of St Kilda/Seaford about it, hasn't it? Except Seaford was actually a really nice venue despite being quite a distance away.

Reactions: 1 users

QRtiger

Tiger Rookie
Dec 8, 2004
"For such a proud, proud club this is one of the saddest days that I've ever been involved in."

So said Matthew Lloyd on the telly last night.

It's a small statement that says so much. Nobody should take any pride in supporting, playing for or being involved in any part of that club. Every time Lloyd or some other misguided figurehead of that club says something like this, they perpetuate the problem. Continuing to blow wind up the arses of supporters with this kind of crap shows how little they have learned.

Essendon Football Club's recent history is shameful.

• A remarkable lack of finals wins
• The brutal sacking of Matthew Knights and the eye-watering payout that followed
• Illegal shortcuts to make it competitive followed by a pig-headed resistance to accepting justice as served
• An unedifying stoush with the bowls club that shared tenancy of Windy Hill
• Attempts to buy wins and culture through the purloining of Shiel, Stringer, Saad, Robson, Worsfold, Rutten, Caracella, Richardson and more
• And now, a host of players who are actively trying to get out

This club has NOTHING to be "proud" about.

Even Joe Daniher, part of a family that is royalty at Windy Hill, is on the move. And he's already tried to get out once before!

Here's the thing.

For some reason -- the old timers reckon it's got something to do with war bonds... go figure -- Essendon Football Club is home to an egregious sense of entitlement.

Perhaps the coteries play a role? At some point, the lenders need to see results.

Maybe it's Kevin Sheedy's big fat head that is to blame? He's certainly made self importance an art form.

Could it be the club's premiership count, tragically inflated though it is by flags in seasons that were hopelessly compromised on today's scale?

Until Essendon works out it is a nothing club and nobody owes it anything, it will continue to blunder its way to irrelevance.

The fact is they're no more important, interesting or indispensable than North Melbourne.

And despite how that sounds, it would actually do them a lot of good to recognise that fact.
Brilliant

QRtiger

Tiger Rookie
Dec 8, 2004
I class Essendon as the Bart Simpson of football clubs.

It's always someone else's fault.

I didn't do it.
No one saw me do it.
No one can prove I did it.

Their supporters always have their heads up their a>>>s. Bunch of self titled wankers.

Reactions: 3 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Their supporters always have their heads up their a>>>s. Bunch of self titled wankers.
I have a few really good friends who are Essendon supporters and they've somehow been infected by the entitlement disease.

You know how they say you shouldn't talk politics with people dear to you whose views are at odds with yours?

Well, I don't talk footy with those friends.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
We can laugh at them, but also show some empathy - they are the new Richmond of the 90's and 00's.

• Haha

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
"New Essendon board member Kevin Sheedy has heavily backed controversial long-term list manager Adrian Dodoro and said it's time for the club to reassert its identity after unashamedly trying to be more like Richmond."

Cool. So let's see how a return to being arrogant and shonky works out Sheeds, you self-serving turncoat.

Ha! have tolaugh at poor old Sheedy.
Didn't he turn Essendrugs into a mini Richmond when he first joined them as a coach?

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Bang!

“I’m neither here nor there on recruiting and list manager Adrian Dodoro, but I bet you can’t name another club at which one man, given the lack of on-field success Essendon has had for 20 years, would have continued to hold those roles all that time.

Doesn’t that say a lot about the inability of this whole club to hold itself to account? To not just talk about setting standards, but be prepared to act when they’re not being met?”
I really noted that too. Just makes you wonder if Dodoro has some kind of hold on the club. He reminds me a lot of certain characters you notice in roles in a popular genre of film and TV show. Looks the part too.

There were some very shady associations with the club uncovered by the supplements scandal, and wealthy backers. All curious.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
"New Essendon board member Kevin Sheedy has heavily backed controversial long-term list manager Adrian Dodoro and said it's time for the club to reassert its identity after unashamedly trying to be more like Richmond."

Cool. So let's see how a return to being arrogant and shonky works out Sheeds, you self-serving turncoat.
Yes, but we need to factor into this that Sheedy went there from the very successful RFC. He took and transferred the teachings, practices and football philosophies of the all-time great ex-RFC player and coach, Tommy Hafey.

But imagine where Essendumb would be BUT for the 4 premierships, and many final series, that Sheedy took them to.

James Hird was meant to be their own, pure Essendon messiah to the same degree. We all know where that led.
I put it to you that if they also had persevered with another RFC great, Matty Knights as coach, they would have returned back to being an AFL powerhouse. He had the team playing a really fast, attacking game-style that was well ahead of its time. He only needed time to consolidate their defensive structures.

But Hird was back-stabbing him from his media roles, and got his backers to rally behind him, got Knights sacked.

Their disgraceful demise since is just emblematic karma history.

Reactions: 5 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
I put it to you that if they also had persevered with another RFC great, Matty Knights as coach, they would have returned back to being an AFL powerhouse. He had the team playing a really fast, attacking game-style that was well ahead of its time. He only needed time to consolidate their defensive structures.
100%. The day they sacked Knights was the day their entitlement complex finally caught up with them.

What onlookers could see was a horrible and foolish act -- knifing Knights for the Hird/Thompson "dream team" while paying out two years of Knights' contract -- was lauded by Essendon supporters.

If only they knew they were headed into a death spiral.

Reactions: 1 users

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
I knew one of the board members who resigned when knights was sacked and she resigned because of it. The only decent thing I think she ever did.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Isn't this just what Worsfold tried to say at that press conference but copped a bit of flak for?
Think he just didn't express himself very well.

And Sheedy under-achieved. They should have won way more than the four flags they did in his time.

Reactions: 1 user

Bowerpower

God Save anything yellow and black
Jun 2, 2004
It's a absolutel pleasure seeing the Dons going thru pain ,my hate for this club doubled when they sacked Knighter and the crap he went thru and the joy the scum supporters had wen it happened.I would love to bump into Lloyd in the street and remind him what he said when they recruited Zantuck and garanteed their culture would get the best out of him because our culture stunk . Seeing Lloyd nearly crying this week brought me to tears aswell , but mine are happy tears

Reactions: 1 user

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
That's why it feels so good.
Let them soak it up for another 17 years and lets see how they come out of it.
Dodoro are they taking the *smile*?
Absolute failure leeping this bloke in that position for so long.
He must have people in high places protecting him.
Sssshhhhhhhhh!,!!!
Dont let them know that. He’s doing a great job. Hopefully he signs a lifetime contract there in that role.

Dont want someone that knows what they are doing to replace him.
I think he sees himself as the Graeme Richmond of the druggies ( but a million times less knowledgeable and successful)

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
"For such a proud, proud club this is one of the saddest days that I've ever been involved in."

So said Matthew Lloyd on the telly last night.

It's a small statement that says so much. Nobody should take any pride in supporting, playing for or being involved in any part of that club. Every time Lloyd or some other misguided figurehead of that club says something like this, they perpetuate the problem. Continuing to blow wind up the arses of supporters with this kind of crap shows how little they have learned.

Essendon Football Club's recent history is shameful.

• A remarkable lack of finals wins
• The brutal sacking of Matthew Knights and the eye-watering payout that followed
• Illegal shortcuts to make it competitive followed by a pig-headed resistance to accepting justice as served
• An unedifying stoush with the bowls club that shared tenancy of Windy Hill
• Attempts to buy wins and culture through the purloining of Shiel, Stringer, Saad, Robson, Worsfold, Rutten, Caracella, Richardson and more
• And now, a host of players who are actively trying to get out

This club has NOTHING to be "proud" about.

Even Joe Daniher, part of a family that is royalty at Windy Hill, is on the move. And he's already tried to get out once before!

Here's the thing.

For some reason -- the old timers reckon it's got something to do with war bonds... go figure -- Essendon Football Club is home to an egregious sense of entitlement.

Perhaps the coteries play a role? At some point, the lenders need to see results.

Maybe it's Kevin Sheedy's big fat head that is to blame? He's certainly made self importance an art form.

Could it be the club's premiership count, tragically inflated though it is by flags in seasons that were hopelessly compromised on today's scale?

Until Essendon works out it is a nothing club and nobody owes it anything, it will continue to blunder its way to irrelevance.

The fact is they're no more important, interesting or indispensable than North Melbourne.

And despite how that sounds, it would actually do them a lot of good to recognise that fact.
I wonder whether Lloyd has given any thought to the fact that as CAPTAIN he started the decline of Essendon with his sniping and backstabbing of Matthew Knights. What a terrible role model to the younger players.

Reactions: 6 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I wonder whether Lloyd has given any thought to the fact that as CAPTAIN he started the decline of Essendon with his sniping and backstabbing of Matthew Knights. What a terrible role model to the younger players.

Who will ever forget the time Zantuck arrived there from Richmond & on stage Hymie took a crack at our club & culture..now things have turned into complete crap for them.:banana

Reactions: 5 users