Evolution vs Creationism | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Evolution vs Creationism

How should the orignin of life be taught in Science classes in Australian Schools?

• Evolution should be the only theory taught in science

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • Creationism should be taught in science as an alternative theory.

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Hi guys,
Hoping you could help me out with a project I'm completing for my Masters of Teaching. Responses to the survey would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Coburgtiger said:
Hi guys,
Hoping you could help me out with a project I'm completing for my Masters of Teaching. Responses to the survey would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Jeez! Thank god we aren't a forum in middle America!

Evolution!

This Is Anfield said:
Jeez! Thank god we aren't a forum in middle America!

Evolution!

Touchy subject, I know, views on either side will be appreciated though.

I'm sure there is a few hundred page thread here somewhere on the subject.

But why are you limiting it to creationism ? The Stork Theory has just as much merit

Baloo said:

But why are you limiting it to creationism ? The Stork Theory has just as much merit

Always wanted to know whether the stork drops the baby at the front door or down the chimney - or am I mixing Stork Theory up with Christmas?

Baloo said:

There's somewhat less pressure to give the Stork Theory equal time in the classroom.

Coburgtiger said:
There's somewhat less pressure to give the Stork Theory equal time in the classroom.

Is our education system now just pandering to the vocal minority ?

Ruby said:
Always wanted to know whether the stork drops the baby at the front door or down the chimney - or am I mixing Stork Theory up with Christmas?

The Tooth Fairy theory is the one that throws me everytime.

I'd be more comfortable with the question

Should creationism be taught in science as an alternative theory?

- Yes

- No

Baloo said:
Is our education system now just pandering to the vocal minority ?

The majority once thought the world was flat. (and they were wrong!)

Anyway,

I didn't vote on this as your not comparing apples with apples.

The theory of evolution is based on what is observed within our surroundings.
The creationism theory is bound by religion and therefore places a large emphasis on blind faith.

I question whether creationism can be considered a theory as such.

1eyedtiger said:
The majority once thought the world was flat. (and they were wrong!)

Anyway,

I didn't vote on this as your not comparing apples with apples.

The theory of evolution is based on what is observed within our surroundings.
The creationism theory is bound by religion and therefore places a large emphasis on blind faith.

I question whether creationism can be considered a theory as such.

I agree.
However, there are many people who would prefer creationism be taught as an alternative theory.
This is what the question is asking. Not whether it is a theory (in the scientific sense), but how many people would prefer to see it taught as one (in the whatever non science people consider a theory to be sense).

rosy23 said:
does it have to be an either or situation.

Logistically, yes. Either creationism is taught alongside evolution or it isn't. This is separate from creationism being taught in RE, or in Humanities as theology. This is due the to fact that there are people who want it taught as an alternative in a science classroom. I am wondering how many (of the PRE population) think the same.

Baloo said:
The Tooth Fairy theory is the one that throws me everytime.

My kids are going to be horrified when they eventually work out that the tooth fairy is a forty plus / 90 kilo bloke who only shaves every other day, and who sneaks into their bedroom at night to exchange their body parts for cash. At least I dress in a pink tutu to execute the dastardly plan ;D Ready made excuse just in case they wake.

Reckon you've got a great Big Question there?

But, unfortunately, you have limited yourself with only two quite polar alternatives.

Anthropology is a fascinating science, and you can't help teaching without making references to early human cultures & beliefs.

E.g., around 10,000-5,000 B.C., we know that water levels rose due to the retiring Ice Age, which detached Britain from mainland Europe and created the Mediterranean Sea.
It is hard to detach that as science knowledge to flood stories that appear in a number of different creation stories from distinct cultures, e.g., Biblical or Zoroastrian references.

When we teach astronomy, it is hard not make reference to the various belief systems, e.g., Ptolemy, Gregory, Copernicus & Galileo.

And, so on.

So, reckon you've limited a large grey area by enforcing only two polar outcomes.

Phantom said:
Reckon you've got a great Big Question there?

But, unfortunately, you have limited yourself with only two quite polar alternatives.

Anthropology is a fascinating science, and you can't help teaching without making references to early human cultures & beliefs.

E.g., around 10,000-5,000 B.C., we know that water levels rose due to the retiring Ice Age, which detached Britain from mainland Europe and created the Mediterranean Sea.

Britain became detached from continental Europe around 200,000 years ago, not 17-20,000. As for the Mediterranean, that is thought to have been formed 5.3 million years ago so you are out by a slightly larger margin there Phantom. Geology takes a loooooooong time to change.

In other words, keep religious mumbo-jumbo out of science classes.