Spying on Indonesian President and wife | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Spying on Indonesian President and wife

Azza

Tiger Champion
Aug 30, 2007
Should we be trying to spy on SBY and his wife?

How should we react now we've been sprung?
a) apologise and promise never to do it again a la the USA and Germany
b) apologise, but make no commitment about future action
c) express regret only
d) hunker down and wait until it blows over

I don't have a problem with spying on Indonesia including SBY, although targeting his wife may be taking it a step too far. The main sin is getting caught, which we can probably blame on the yank's inability to manage the vast amount of information they've been hoovering up.

As to how to deal with the crisis, I'd probably try to find some weasel words to apologise without really apologising. I wouldn't be making any commitments about future espionage. I guess the success of any strategy depends on working hard to develop the relationship to both country's benefit in other ways as well.

Spying on private phones, especially those of family and relatives of others' of interest, is not on. Whsat next, secret cameras in their bathrooms? When I heard about the spying in my overnight slumber I thought I must have dreamt it. Despicable behaviour. I'm concerned at how many feathers we're ruffling recently. I don't know what we should do but I don't like the thought of it happening.

I heard Downer interviewed this am. He said that when he was foreign minister he expected his mobile to be bugged. He even used it to try to spread disinformation.

Tigers of Old said:
I understand us doing it.
Personally think Abbott has handled this pretty well so far.
Hopefully blows over soon.

Tell that to SBY, if his Twitter comments are anything to go by Abbott is persona non grata. There's a groundswell of Indonesian anti-Australianism emerging and Abbott needs to tread carefully.

bullus_hit said:
Tell that to SBY, if his Twitter comments are anything to go by Abbott is persona non grata. There's a groundswell of Indonesian anti-Australianism emerging and Abbott needs to tread carefully.

The upcoming Indonesian election isn't going to help. The pollies will be competing to be nationalistic, with Australia the obvious target.

I don't mind the way Abbott is handling things publicly. It's what's being done behind the scenes that will be crucial, and who knows what's going-on there.

Tigers of Old said:
I understand us doing it.

Would you be so understanding if Indonesia tapped Margie Abbott's, and even her daughters', private phones?

rosy23 said:
Would you be so understanding if Indonesia tapped Margie Abbott's, and even her daughters', private phones?

I would understand it at that level of Government. Yes.

Azza said:
I don't mind the way Abbott is handling things publicly. It's what's being done behind the scenes that will be crucial, and who knows what's going-on there.

Absolutely. Tony was handed a bit of a hand grenade here. Must be remembered that the spying revealed here was conducted under the previous Labor Government.

Tigers of Old said:
I would understand it at that level of Government.

What do you mean by understand? Would you approve of it, accept it and have no issues with it happening?

rosy23 said:
What do you mean by understand? Would you approve of it, accept it and have no issues with it happening?

Not if it was my family but then I don't chose that public life of Government and all that comes with it. I accept it happens.

Tigers of Old said:
Absolutely. Tony was handed a bit of a hand grenade here. Must be remembered that the spying revealed here was conducted under the previous Labor Government.

I'm sure the same activities would take place under a LNP Govt, but he's certainly copped a hand grenade.

Indonesian politics being what it is, SBY's wife and immediate family probably control a large percentage of the concessions which we're looking to trade with or are competing against.

I doubt we would have bothered bugging the phones if there wasnt any political gain in doing so.

The other problem is that since we've been caught doing it, it means loss of face for the Indonesian President and the Indo government generally. Tony playing the stony faced admit nothing card will not serve the purpose. And I appreciate that this didn't happen under his watch. He needs to swallow any pride and apologise.

If Tony expected the Indos to do a nice cozy deal on boats, he can forget it now.

antman said:
The other problem is that since we've been caught doing it, it means loss of face for the Indonesian President and the Indo government generally. Tony playing the stony faced admit nothing card will not serve the purpose. And I appreciate that this didn't happen under his watch. He needs to swallow any pride and apologise.

If Tony expected the Indos to do a nice cozy deal on boats, he can forget it now.

Hard to apologise sincerely without promising not to do it again.

bullus_hit said:

Why do we need to tread carefully with the Indonesians?

Michael said:

Only because they are a nation of 250 million people who are an emerging economy and a regional power that also happen to be our nearest neighbour. Why do you ask?

No reason, thought I might have been unaware of some other factor.

I'm not a whizz at geography but I'd punt PNG or Timor would be between us and Indonesia

Michael said:

Australia established itself as a bit of a diplomatic gateway to the Asia Pacific. It would be a shame to isolate ourselves wouldn't it?