Ex Tigers in the finals | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ex Tigers in the finals

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Our players must be envious of some of their ex team mates who are fortunate enough to be playing finals.

Jason Torney. Wasn't happy about the trade but it's worked out well for him. I hope he's the one who gets a premiership medal.

Matthew Clarke also at the Crows.

Stuart Maxfield. Been a real success story at Sydney.

Will Steve McKee get a crack at the premiership. I hope not, nothing personal but the Pies are last on my list.

Ben Haynes. Good to see him making the most of his chances. Again nothing personal but I hope the Bummers don't get anywhere near a premisership medal.

Any others?

Going by the fact I don't want a Vic team to win, and I love Torney I've gotta say Go Crows. Geez that makes me feel ill. ;D

WJP

Tiger Rookie
Jul 28, 2003
VIC
Gee rosy I can't believe you want the crows to win a flag, I'm going for the swans they haven't won a flag in decades and with that gutsy effort against the power which every body but power fans loved they deserve to go all the way, at least an ex tige will hold up the cup.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
You just had to put that up there didn't you Rosy. Wouldn't be a bad handful if we had of kept them hey!
Never mind they are all former tiges so I just wish them all luck for the finals.

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
I, too, had a lot of time for Torney, but the Crows, rosy? Only if they're playing Port or the Black'n'Whites. I'm still going with Brissy but if it came down to it, yeah...Go Swannies! (they remind me of a yellow and black team in '95)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
WJP said:
Gee rosy I can't believe you want the crows to win a flag, I'm going for the swans they haven't won a flag in decades and with that gutsy effort against the power which every body but power fans loved they deserve to go all the way, at least an ex tige will hold up the cup.

I've got nothing against the Crows, except Gary Ayres. (well maybe Carey too ;) ) I'd love Torney to win a premiership after what he's been through though.

I am happy for Sydney to win too, but I think they are the AFL's love child and get carried more than other teams. Also didn't Maxi sell us out?'

I really don't care much. A process of elimination for me.
Collingwood least favoured
Essendon seacond least
Port third least.

I don't care about the others really. Am happy for Brisbane or Swans or Crows.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
rosy3 said:
Our players must be envious of some of their ex team mates who are fortunate enough to be playing finals.

Jason Torney. Wasn't happy about the trade but it's worked out well for him. I hope he's the one who gets a premiership medal.

Matthew Clarke also at the Crows.

Stuart Maxfield. Been a real success story at Sydney.

Will Steve McKee get a crack at the premiership. I hope not, nothing personal but the Pies are last on my list.

Ben Haynes. Good to see him making the most of his chances. Again nothing personal but I hope the Bummers don't get anywhere near a premisership medal.

Any others?

Going by the fact I don't want a Vic team to win, and I love Torney I've gotta say Go Crows. Geez that makes me feel ill. ;D

It's interesting to see that list of players.

Clarke didn't get given any opportunity at all.
Haynes got 5 games in 2 years.
McKee swapped him for King, after a dozen or so games :-[

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
Rosy,

I can see your logic, but I have to say I hate the Crows more than any other team including the black 'n white filth.

I lived in Adelaide for about 8 years and was unfortunate enough to be there in the inaugural year in the AFL. They beat Hawthorn(the previous season's premiers) in a pre-season night game and the next day were selling videos on TV, titled "First Blood". Absolute bandwagon morons. Then they arsed the Grand Final against St.Kilda and I wanted to kick the TV in, let alone not wanting to venture outdoors that evening. Then the next year I had to go to a mates bucks do on Grand Final day. We were in pubs down at Glenelg filled with feral Crow supporters and I couldn't rasie my voice once for fear of being belted to a pulp. One guy asked me why I wasn't cheering for the "admiration of the nation" when they scoring goals out of their arses in the 2nd half. To save my life, I just said I wasn't really interested in footy. What an absolute joke, they have no respect that someone could or would want to support any other team than their provincial hick team. At least Port came along so they could bash each other. Whilst Port are DH's (gag Williams)as well at least they a have a club culture and traditional supporters. Not the media bandwagon, with the BYO chardonnay.

I liked Torney as well, but my vote goes for the Swans, because I still see them as South (for my Dad's sake) so never mind the Sydney media garbage they'll be all Rugby world cup then down the beach tanning themselves in six weeks time. South haven't won a flag since 1933. Now that's misery!!!

You gotta like Paul Roo's and how he's got them playing. No whingeing and just everyone playing for the coach. I thought Stuey Maxfield left the Tiges because he couldn't get a decent run. He was on and off the bench and did not look like getting a regular run because our midfield was set with the Knighter/Cambo come Daffy brigade. So I don't think he really left Richmond in the lurch, it was more like he wanted to play a full game and he could see he wouldn't get it at the RFC. So good luck to him.

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
Tenacious Tiges said:
I thought Stuey Maxfield left the Tiges because he couldn't get a decent run. He was on and off the bench and did not look like getting a regular run because our midfield was set with the Knighter/Cambo come Daffy brigade. So I don't think he really left Richmond in the lurch, it was more like he wanted to play a full game and he could see he wouldn't get it at the RFC. So good luck to him.

TT - Maxfield left the Tigers for the Swans $$$$. They offered him big bucks and he left.

Anyway good luck to him, i also hope the Swannies win it.

Tenacious Tiges

Apr 11, 2003
Den Boss,

Yep the dollars would've been attractive, but he still wasn't getting a full game at the Tiges. For him it was a win situation.

Play a full game in the midfield and get bucks as well.

Maybe the dollars were his pime driver but I reckon playing a regular game was also important.

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
TT- he was getting a full game every week (on the wing)in 95 and had a great season.
Go and watch "A Tiger Tale" which shows highlights of the 95 season, you'll see plenty of Maxfield in it and he kicked some great goals.
He didn't leave us because he was not getting a game, he left for the money.

Tenacious Tiges

Apr 11, 2003
Boss,

Okay, okay, but I remember him coming off the bench a lot and him saying when he left that he wanted to play regular midfield football. I agree that I also remember him kicking a lot of goals for us, but not getting a shot in midfield.

However, I do apologise that my memory may not be as good as yours because I've seen you post some pretty impressive details on players past etc. and '95 is 8 long years ago and many brain cells have since been fried by a few liquid substances.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
I recall hearing Maxfield say that he hadn't left just for the money, but that Sydney could guarentee him a job in his trade (Carpentry) and Richmond couldn't.
Surprising since Fiora works as a chippy with Eric Leech (Former tiger).