Fiora, gone | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Fiora, gone

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
After speaking to a friend of mine, who just happens to be the Victorian Scout for port Adelaide, I now know, and can confirm that Port are deadly keen on snaring Aaron Fiora.

They are after a half back that can run the lines, and he told me they want him to come home, and bulk up. In return they are hopefully going to offer Brent Guerra, knowing that we want some good young tough onballers, and possibly also a round 3 draft pick.

This is purely Port's desire at this stage. I can't say whether or not the RFC would agree, or whether or not they even know. I'm sure dealings go on before trade period though.

Here's hoping RFC do the right thing and get rid of a player who's got limited time in a Richmond jumper. I reckon we should even chuck in Pettifer as well... for free....

By the way, remember my post about Darren Hulme coming to Richmond? Well hasn't that gathered some steam over the past 4 to 5 weeks. I don't post much, but what I post is usually very strong information.

Watch this space.........................

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
That would be a good trade IMO. The irony of Fiora's form over the 4 years is that we are all appluading his effort on the weekend as his best yet???????? If that is his best yet, we don't have much to look forward to if we keep Aaron.

The thing is, he will return to SA and become a gun further highlighting Spuds lack of ability to nuture and get the best out of players.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
I think his best game for us was in 2001 aginst West Coast. I rated him BOG while others said Rory Hilton but he wouldnt have been far odff. to me that was his best game. Last two weeks have been good, however it usually takes a kick up the arse to get him going. Last year it was being dropped, this year i have no doubt he had a talking to by Frawley and Miller.
The kid will be ok with a bit of muscle.

However would consider Guerra nad a third round pick. Dont know if id take it but id consider it and haggle.

Fireman_Sam

A 'non-sexual' example of the 69 position
Feb 26, 2003
Wales
Darren Hulme is rising 27, done a knee acl and has limited, limited skills.. He's a mini me of D Kellaway. If we pick him up, I'll be disgusted.

The Match Commitee should have it physically etched into their thick skulls do NOT draft, trade for players under the age of 22.

Bulluss

Go the Mighty Tigers
Aug 11, 2003
Melbourne
I would think that you would be on the money there Balmy.

I know that Guerra is from Bendigo and has been keen to come back to Victoria. There were rumours last year that we had a sniff. He has shown a little bit and has good body sixe and disposal. There have been plenty of players in the past who have moved clubs and been given more chance in the midfield and improved a fair bit in that area.

I would be very happy if that trade come off.

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Chelle said:
didnt TG say in an earlier post that Fiora has agreed to a new contract with RFC??

Apparently MMM reported Fiora had agreed to terms, and would be signing this week. If this is the case, he would be unable to be traded as is my understanding. Unless they have removed the 'Heffernan Rule'

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
DragicevicFan said:
Apparently MMM reported Fiora had agreed to terms, and would be signing this week. If this is the case, he would be unable to be traded as is my understanding. Unless they have removed the 'Heffernan Rule'

It has been reported that the Heffernen Rule is under review before its implementation at the request of the Playrs Association who negotiated it in the first place.

There are those who think it maybe unworkable.

On Fiora and a contract - this means we now have 2 players supposedly signed for next season in Tivva and Fiora. Neither confirmed by the Club ....
:-\

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
shawry said:
…however it usually takes a kick up the @rse to get him going. Last year it was being dropped, this year i have no doubt he had a talking to by Frawley and Miller.
The kid will be ok with a bit of muscle.

Just from what I have seen of Pavlich in interviews, let alone his football ability, he seems like such a switched on person. I don't know why you would not select him ahead of most others. Maybe things have changed over time, otherwise the selection just doesn't make any sense to me. No point crying over what might have been though.

Shawry, with a bit of faith put in him and some confidence, Fiora may be ok. But that's up to him. At times, he has gone about his footy like he was forced to do something and it didn't seem all that natural or comfortable for him.

He was charging through not really knowing where he was going or what he was supposed to do when he got there. At least now he seems to be taking his time a bit more and being a lot more creative and effective because of it.

Like most of them, he just needs some guidance and direction. He's obviously got some talent, he just needs someone to help get that out of him.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Guerra has been a fringe player at port for the last 4 years (sound familiar). They've had francou out most of this season yet he can't get a game. He's been selected the last couple of weeks with nick stevens out but still gets limited game time. Once stevens came back last week he was dropped. If we want to offload fiora fine but not in exchange for duds (= fringe players). The above deal is really swapping fiora for a 3rd round pick in a supposedly weak draft. Don't see where we gain.

As for hulme. He'll be 27 next year. Age alone should make us say no way. Add to that he misses many games through injury.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
mightytiges said:
As for hulme. He'll be 27 next year. Age alone should make us say no way. Add to that he misses many games through injury.

So help me, if Hulme comes to Richmond ... :mad: :mad: :mad:

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
Fiora hasnt lived up to his potential as yet. However, I wouldnt trade him (not yet anyway).

Someone should work with Fiora.

As much as he gets bagged, he was great pace and can hit a target. When Fiora is on song, he drives the ball into the foward line so well.

I see Fiora as another Tivendale. Tivendale took a little longer to develop. The main problem with both is consistancy.

We have to persist in sticking by on younger players and work on their development.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
The problem with development is that the current coaching staff seem incapable of developing younger players. The only ones who do improve are the guys who are always going to be good.

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
Hulme is a hack! I saw the way he played against Saints. Couldn't hit a barn with a two week old *smile*!

Guerra on the other hand, not only could he it a barn with a *smile* but could find 25 different ways to do it!
Brent, welcome to tigerland, and bring that 3rd round drafty with you! :D ...... Oh and see ya Fiora!

TigerFury

Eloquent Feral
Dec 19, 2002
Belgrave
Trading Fiora would be a big mistake.

Fiora's biggest problem when he first came to us was that he was built like a pretzel and tended to kick floaters when he got the ball.

His kicking has improved immensely however he still needs to get bigger.

Nontheless, watching his performances as time has gone on, I've noticed a steady improvement to the point where he is starting to have an impact in games. At this rate and give another pre-season, he would be one of the more damaging players in our side.

Don't laugh!

I am not surprised at all that Port Adelaide are interested in him. If he were to be traded, I would expect much much more than Guerra and a 3rd round pick.

Do not forget that Nigel Lappin was a similar player when he first started out. Tall, lean with plenty of pace and skill. Also took him a while to fill out but now it is has been worth Brisbane's while in persisting. We should learn from this lesson.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
The mere fact that a side like Port Adelaide are desperate to secure Fiora should be sounding alarm bells for us.

It is obvious someone else thinks he has talent and I don't think Port have been too far of the mark with any of their trades or picks in recent times.

Again I think Fiora is another glaring example of our inability to develop young players like other clubs seem to do. Why is this.

I don't know much about Guerra, but a few people on this list seem to like him. Anyone got the goss on him for me.

I just can't help thinking that if Fiora was traded he would embarrass us and end up tearing us apart in future games.

Now if Nick STEVENS was thrown into the equation I would have no problems.

maybe I just don't know enough about Brent GUERRA to make an informed decision. I just hope someone at the club is.

Having said all that if Fiora and the club have agreed to term on a new contract I can't see him going anywhere in a hurry.

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
We've waited this long, he's starting to show something, dont get rid of him now.

Plenty of others to get rid of before we even think about getting rid of Fiora, and the mere fact Port are interested shows that he does actually have talent, Danny just cant get the best out of him, or many youngsters for that matter.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
I hate seeing Fiora cast in a defensive role.

He likes to take a big grab, likes to take the opposition on, and can kick a long goal.

All attributes that would see him best suited to the wing.

All attributes that make him a risky proposition in defense, particularly because he's easily out bodied too. In defence, he can be isolated and have this weakness exploited.

But then again, with Frawley's game plan everyone plays in defence anyway!

Macca68

I'm a llama!
Mar 30, 2003
I'd trade Fiora in a second...

Guerra is hard at it and tough. Does not get a fair go at Port. And has good skills.

I've wanted to get him at Richmond for the past 2 years.

Fiora may or may not get better....but with a body like David Bourke I wonder if he will ever bulk up.