Fitzroy's last game in Melbourne vs Richmond | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Fitzroy's last game in Melbourne vs Richmond

richo33

Draft??????
Mar 3, 2006
does anyone remember this or go to this game???????
i must have been 6y.o, and the score was Rich 187 to Fitzroy 36!!!!!!!!
i remember all the lions supporters burning there jumpers.................at the time i had no idea wat was goin on!!

Welcome to PRE richo.

I was at the game and felt terrible.  I hated flogigng them by so much and wish they could have been competitive but the stuffing was well and truly knocked out of them by then.

It was sad as.  I've cried twice at the footy.  One was Knighter's last game and the other was that Fitzroy game.  My heart bled for their loyal supporters for the hollowness and heartbreak they were feeling. :'(

Agree Rosy and I also had a big tear in the eye when they played their last game at Freo. The after match ceremony consisted of a bugler high up on top of the grandstand playing the last post. Very simple and very moving.

Yep.

I was there too, singing the Fitzroy theme song as their team ran onto the ground.

Was very emotional that game. My favourite uncle died the day before and I went to take my mind off it for a little while. Didn't work, kept thinking about the death of the Lions. Great game by the Tigers but left feeling hollow about the win.

I also went to that game, the most hollow victory I've ever seen or been to. The sadness of ALL supporters RFC, FFC & from many other clubs was incredible. I have many Fitzroy supporter friends, quite a few of whom don't really worry too much about footy anymore. Even with the success of Brisbane Lions they still aren,t as passionate about AFL.

That is why we can't afford to lose any more Melbourne based clubs. Because when the clubs die so does a very large %age of their supporter base.

Was about 12 myself. Was without doubt the most emotional thing I have seen at the football and just about in Australian sport, along with EJ Whitten's last lap at the State of Origin, which I unfortunately didn't see. Fans were crying, both sets of supporters were singing the Roy Boy's song. Ive never been less happy seeing the Tigers win...

Very hollow victory

My brother was Fitzroy and very upset and it was hard not to be emphatic with him. He has since enjoyed 3 premierships with Fitzroy.

Like you Phantom I too sang the Fitzroy song after the match.

The highlight for me, was in the last quarter, Duncan Kellaway was pushed forward, and every kick, just about, was directed to him, the other boys would do anything to have him kick his first goal this day.

I was there-it was bloody sad!-I think i remember singing the Fitzroy theme song with a lump in my throat-there were Lion fans openly weeping!
AND THEN-the AFL committed the most disgusting act in its history-they sent that club to WA to play its final game-forever condemmed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes, agree, sad day. felt bad after half time when we kept kicking goals.

tigachick36, who was only 5 at the time was rubbing it into the roys!! but dad was telling her to be quiet.

how some things never change, she is now 15 and still does the same thing!

my best friend was a Fitzroy supporter ,the first game I ever saw was the Tigers v Lions,with him .It was ironic that the last game my bestmate saw the Roys play was against the Tiges with me

Gordietiger said:
I was there-it was bloody sad!-I think i remember singing the Fitzroy theme song with a lump in my throat-there were Lion fans openly weeping!
AND THEN-the AFL committed the most disgusting act in its history-they sent that club to WA to play its final game-forever condemmed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agree GT, the saddest I have ever felt at the footy, including Teddy Whittem's lap of honor, and losing to the pies.

It really was terrible scheduling to have their last ever game out of state. Idiotic comes to mind.

Hollow victory.

Bunnerz85 said:
yes, agree, sad day.  felt bad after half time when we kept kicking goals.

tigachick36, who was only 5 at the time was rubbing it into the roys!! but dad was telling her to be quiet.

how some things never change, she is now 15 and still does the same thing!

yes bunnerz, but you have to remember at the time i was only 5 and didnt know how much a footy club could mean to some supporters, but i do remember dancing on the chair!!

if the tiges even went down i would cry for weeks.

at least now i rub it into those scumwood supporters when we smash them at the G!!! Go tigers! :gotigers

I remember the game well even tho I only heard it on the radio . As others have said, it was a very hollow victory . It was one of those rare moments when a loss for the tigers would not have mattered given context.

My better half, who is now Brisabane supporter was inconsolable for months following there demise.

My initial sadness was quickly removed. Seeing the feral Fitzroy supporters near me on the day verbally attacking people around them (unprovoked), I didn't feel sympathetic at all. They were down right disgraceful. Also went to my car later & found some stickers I had were vandilised.

I remember it well. Was a sad day, but my worst memory of the day was when the Fitzroy fans ran on the ground at the end, one of the security guards had a bit of a power trip and started belting the living crap out of one of the fans. it took about 4 others security guards to drag that stupid power tripping moronic security bloke off the ground while the crowd near me just keep giving him a spray.

Sad day for the Roys too. Gee, I hjope that never happens to Richmond. Glad we're starting to turn things around.