The worst day in 1995 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The worst day in 1995

hellenictiger

Tiger Superstar
Apr 26, 2006
Melbourne
It wasn't during the season and it wasn't before the season, but soon after, when my dad gave me a call and said your favorite footballer is leaving the club. Stuart Maxfield left the club and I can still remember the day, the phone call, it may have been somewhere around 3pm.

To see him develop into a champion at Sydney was something that made it even worse. He was their captain and helped them win a flag even though he didnt play in one. In 96 our game against Sydney was at Waverly and we lost by a couple points and all I could remember was Bruce's voice in my head saying " Go one Stuy you can do it, their in front the Tiges (95 vs Essendon draw)"

Losing Stewie really hurt the team.

Another all time blunder by our club that now has a record membership.

wasnt it his choice to leave? I seem to remember he was a carpenter, and though there were more building jobs up in SYD at the time

You should come down to some junior games.

I see & talk with Stuey most weekends.

Very nice fellow.

Phantom said:
You should come down to some junior games.

I see & talk with Stuey most weekends.

Very nice fellow.
No argument on the guys chacter, always was a decent fella, and got behind the swans often solely because of him

From a contemporary article:

Having already lost the coach John Northey to interstate club, Brisbane Bears, the Tigers found themselves under siege again.
The Sydney Swans were reported to be on the trail of out-of-contract finals stars Chris Naish and Stuart Maxfield.
The Swans, still benefiting from draft concessions, were able to secure two out-of-contract players and set their sights on the dynamic Tiger duo. The Swans team manager Kevin Egan confirmed his interest.
In the end, Maxfield decided to go — for a reported $160,000 a year. Chris Naish stayed and re-signed.

It’s funny but I don’t recall Maxfield having much effect on our two finals of 1995. I checked and he didn’t have more than a handful of possessions in either match.

I did like him, though, and was sorry that we lost him. Doesn’t sound much nowadays – $160k a year – but it wasn’t to be sneezed at back then.

I used to watch the Swannies play whenever they were being televised. To me, they were a substitute for the defunct Roys, the team I sort of followed when Richmond was not playing them.

I saw a lot of Stewy in those days and what a great player he turned out to be for the Swans.

Stuart Maxfield v. Geelong in THAT Prelim Final

hellenictiger said:
It wasn't during the season and it wasn't before the season, but soon after, when my dad gave me a call and said your favorite footballer is leaving the club. Stuart Maxfield left the club and I can still remember the day, the phone call, it may have been somewhere around 3pm.

To see him develop into a champion at Sydney was something that made it even worse. He was their captain and helped them win a flag even though he didnt play in one. In 96 our game against Sydney was at Waverly and we lost by a couple points and all I could remember was Bruce's voice in my head saying " Go one Stuy you can do it, their in front the Tiges (95 vs Essendon draw)"
couldn`t agree more mate,i loved stewie too.

i remember a game v geelong at princess park in 1994 when he smashed into tim mcgrath who was built like a tank, and i`m pretty sure mcgrath got taken off with a broken shoulder.
i thought geez we are finally getting some true tiger`s into our team at last.

i`m pretty sure stewie was filthy that we failed to hold onto northey,that was a big reason he left.
that call by mcavaney was magic, gustiger12 has it as his signature.

"Here's a go, Bond to Maxfield, go and kick the goal Stewie. straighten it up, bang it home, It's a beauty, THEY'RE IN FRONT THE TIGES". - B. McAVANEY - Richmond V Essendon 1995

mopsy fraser said:
hellenictiger said:

"Here's a go, Bond to Maxfield, go and kick the goal Stewie. straighten it up, bang it home, It's a beauty, THEY'RE IN FRONT THE TIGES". - B. McAVANEY - Richmond V Essendon 1995

Thats the one, the dundas spoil on the wing, then Bondy with the hands over the top. What a goal!

good thread, didnt Maxfield have some long drawn out war with nicky winmar? I must of seen them at each others throat a dozen times over a few years in the mid 90's.

Losing Maxfield was a bigger blunder by our club than most realise.

Once the Swans secured Maxfield, they then intensified their efforts on Naish only for the AFL to step in and point out that although they were able to sign two uncontracted players, the rule stated they couldn't come from the one club.

Had we sacrificed Naish to the Swans, Maxfield would have had to stay with us!

The reason you won't see massive stats next to his name in our games is that he largely played off the bench as an impact player. As promising as Maxfield was at the time, the Swans were paying way 'over' for a player that really was struggling to run a full game. Having said that, i would have rathered lose Naish.

From memory, the game a few posters have referred to against Essendon, Maxfield played out with a broken jaw!

In all honesty, losing Maxfield wasn't my worst day of 95! My worst one was in round 9 when Richo went down at the SCG. With him in the team, in the form he was in there are numerous games we lost that i think you'd easily pencil in as a win. Northey is one coach that seemed to know exactly how to use this unique weapon. I would have loved to have seen him running around during our finals campaign.

My memory isn't so good these days, but can anyone confirm the following things about Stuey

1. I seem to recall that very early in his career with us (when he was about 19 I think), he actually got delisted. It was I believe a calculated move, as the Tigers knew they could redraft him. If this is the case, what was the rationale behind it?

2. I seem to recall when Stuey got recruited by the Swans, that he said in an interview that basically the Tigers showed no interest in resigning him. Was this true.

By the way, I thinking people comparing him to Naish is a bit harsh. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and I think Naish was clearly ahead of Stuey back then. Such hindsight assumes that Stuey would have developed to the same extent if he stayed with us. Big assumption.

Streak said:
2. I seem to recall when Stuey got recruited by the Swans, that he said in an interview that basically the Tigers showed no interest in resigning him. Was this true.

I'm hazy too, but I thought he was more motivated by post football job opportunities (more construction gigs back then in Sydney - we were %$#ed in Vic back then).

I reckon we lost our way re toughness about the time Maxwell departed.

Sydney had him and Paul Kelly and developed that "mongrel" edge to their game which has been a feature of their play ever since. We are still struggling to recapture it.

frickenel said:
In all honesty, losing Maxfield wasn't my worst day of 95! My worst one was in round 9 when Richo went down at the SCG. With him in the team, in the form he was in there are numerous games we lost that i think you'd easily pencil in as a win. Northey is one coach that seemed to know exactly how to use this unique weapon. I would have loved to have seen him running around during our finals campaign.

Agree losing Richo was the worst.

From what I remember seeing it on the telly, Richo was on a long lead to the boundary line. He leapt and took the mark but as he was coming down Dunkley, I think it was, pushed him fair square in the back and straight to the fence. Richo looked like he tried to 'pull up' in mid air and bang went the knee.

And cynical as I am, the narrow boundary at the SCG wasnt the culprit, it looked to me Dunkley was aiming to put Richo into the fence!

hellenictiger said:

Yeah, that was a loss. No doubt. I was surprised at the time it was announced, after all he'd come through the system and we had just come off a prelim final as well.

What was his reason/s for leaving ? I recall him explaining it in the past, but cant remember. Can anyone confirm ? Was it the carpentry thing...Northey ...what ?

Chiang Mai Tiger said:
Agree losing Richo was the worst.

From what I remember seeing it on the telly, Richo was on a long lead to the boundary line. He leapt and took the mark but as he was coming down Dunkley, I think it was, pushed him fair square in the back and straight to the fence. Richo looked like he tried to 'pull up' in mid air and bang went the knee.

And cynical as I am, the narrow boundary at the SCG wasnt the culprit, it looked to me Dunkley was aiming to put Richo into the fence!

Looked as though Richo was trying to reach the ground before he hit the fence! As a result when he landed, he landed on a leg that was locked straight. He actually catapulted off it from memory! Dunkley knew exactly what he was doing!

The worst day in 1995 for me is when Northey left and I still think Mal Brown was part of the reason.

mopsy fraser said:

Ah, now imagine 1995 being the earliest football memories you have. I was seven years old and for all I knew we were going to be world beaters lol. Have a video at home called 'A Tiger Tale' which is a couple of hours of round by round footage of the 95 season. That commentary is one for the reverse and play buttons lol.

I loved Stewie - it was him who inspired me to stop being lazy and learn to kick left foot as well as right. What a kick he had on him too...loved his technique.

Broadsword95 said:
Ah, now imagine 1995 being the earliest football memories you have. I was seven years old and for all I knew we were going to be world beaters lol. Have a video at home called 'A Tiger Tale' which is a couple of hours of round by round footage of the 95 season. That commentary is one for the reverse and play buttons lol.

I loved Stewie - it was him who inspired me to stop being lazy and learn to kick left foot as well as right. What a kick he had on him too...loved his technique.

Ummmmm are we twins? I am the same age, and 1995 was also my first year as a footy follower/Tiges supporter. Also have the 'Tiger tale' video and love reliving the Maxfield moment.

skiptomystu said:
Ummmmm are we twins? I am the same age, and 1995 was also my first year as a footy follower/Tiges supporter. Also have the 'Tiger tale' video and love reliving the Maxfield moment.

Lol that's a tad freaky. You don't happen to live in England too do you lol? Geez I love that video though. I also have the first quarter of Kangaroos Richmond on tape from that year, wher we kicked 9 goals int he first quarter. Wow, Matty Rogers on the siren. Fantastic.

Good to have a fellow 95er on here!