Fitzroy's last game in Melbourne vs Richmond | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Fitzroy's last game in Melbourne vs Richmond

I agree with so many of the emotions expressed here already. Hollow victory, extremely sad day for football. I too sang the 'Roys song that day.
It was and still is, in it's original form, the second best club song in the league. I still remember it vividly.

"Oh were from Tiger.. OOps

"We are the boys from old Fitzroy we were the colours, red, gold and blue.
We will always fight for victory and we'll always see it through
Win or lose, we do or die
In defeat we always try
Fitzroy
Fitzroy
The club we love so dear
Premiers we'll be this year"

When I was a kid my best mate was a Roys man just like his dad. Of course me and my Dad were Tigers, but the cool thing was that when one of our dads couldnt take us to the footy, the other would. So Fitzroy became my second team.
I got to go to games at the Junction Oval, Princess Park and the like, which was an eye opener for me as my dad only used to like going to the MCG or VFL park. Which was completely understandable since we lived at the foot of The Dandenongs. On that note... the greatest growth area in Melbourne, the eastern corridor, has been robbed of a stadium that should have been torn down and re-built a section at a time, ALA the MCG. But that's another issue altogether. Haha.
Anyway following Fitzroy as my second team allowed me an extremely rare oppurtunity... the chance to see a side I liked and wanted to see do well, play finals football!
Twice I got to run on the ground and pat Bernie "Superboot" Quinlan on the back after he had scored his 100th goal for the season. Unfortunately Tiger success at the time was as rare as rain in Melbourne.
But geez did they have some awesome players in that time. Anyone know who is responsible for their recruiting in the 80's? They always seemed to have a knack of getting very high quality players. It would be interesting to know what the person responsible for that is doing know... anyone know?

How good was it watching the following great players for the 'Roys (apologies for those I forget)

Micky 'The Tank' Conlan. Brilliant player, great to watch.

Laurie Serafini. Give me him as a fullback over SOS any day of the week. Tough and skilled.

Garry Pert and Paul Roos, they speak for themselves, but both brilliant players that I wished were at the Tigers.

Garry Wilson. Hard as nails. The helmeted one was quick, had great skills and was brilliantly consistent.

Lynch. Can you see why I want to know what that recruiter is up to now? ;) Even after CFS he was a champion.
What he may have been able to achieve if not for that we will never know. But he had freakish ability from day one.
Similar to Boyd who was a massive talent cruelly cut down by injury.

Matt Rendell. Brilliant, smart tap ruckman who was extremely damaging when used up forward. Great player.

Ross Thornton, Ross Lyon, Brendon McMormick, Michael Gale (I loved the way he played his footy), Paul Broderick, aplayer who wore 17 whos' name escapes me for now, Graham Wright, Lee Carlson, Richard Osbourne, etc etc.
They played a great brand of footy.

RIP Fitzroy Football Club. The game is poorer for your loss.

I took a few pics that day, albeit from the former Ponsford stand. I can't remember if any are on the PRE pics page, but I would be happy to forward them to anyone who wants them.

As a few of you said that is one of the saddest days ever in football. Right alongside The TJ lap of honour.
I was fortunate enough to witness both. In a painful kind of way.

I will always have very good memories of the club that was Fitzroy.

"We are the boys from old Fitzroy we were the colours, red, gold and blue.
We will always fight for victory and we'll always see it through
Win or lose, we do or die
In defeat we always try
Fitzroy
Fitzroy
The club we love so dear
Premiers we'll be this year"

"We are the boys from old Fitzroy we wear the colours, maroon and blue

Brings a tear to the eye.

Can someone give us the match details from this game i.e goals and best players out of the papers.
Thanks in advance

pmac21 said:
Can someone give us the match details from this game i.e goals and best players out of the papers.
Thanks in advance

Goals Richmond:Richardson 7.5, B.Gale 6.3, Rogers 4.1,Powell 3.2, Naish 2.2, Campbell 1.2, Sullivan 1.1, Merenda 1.1, Broderick 1.0, J.Bowden 1.0, M.Gale 1.0

Goals Fitzroy: Warry 3.0, Boyd 1.1, Barker 1.0

Best players, on stats :Richo 28 disposals 21 marks 7.5, Rogers 28 d 10m 4.1, B Gale 20 d 11m 6.3, Campbell 35d, Broderick 37 d

I was also there.

as mentioned it was a hollow victory.

Only if the Roys could have kept their players in tact, they would have won a premiership. Some champions certainly came through the ranks via Fitzroy.

The AFL offered no financial support to Fitzroy, while they that happy to bail out Sydney from a bigger debt. Shame on Ross Oakley and the AFL.

nwonash said:
I was also there.

as mentioned it was a hollow victory.

Only if the Roys could have kept their players in tact, they would have won a premiership. Some champions certainly came through the ranks via Fitzroy.

The AFL offered no financial support to Fitzroy, while they that happy to bail out Sydney from a bigger debt. Shame on Ross Oakley and the AFL.

I just hope the Kangaroos remember the near miss they had then in all that drama, to hopefully realise that maybe relocation will be better than extinction !

I was at the game and I remember that my dad made a banner saying something like Goodbye, sad to see you leave... something like that.

What amazed me about this, was the number of Fitzroy 'supporters' who turned out for the last game, who hadn't actively supported the club for years. If they had been loyal through the years, who knows, Fitzroy may still exist.
The supporters saved Footscray, remember the mooted Fitzroy Bulldogs, The supporters saved the Tigers in 1990, (only for subsequent administrations to almost undo the deed), The Fitroy supporters came to the party too late, I'd only ever met two people who claimed to be Fitzroy supporters prior to 1996, I've met a hundred since who lament the loss of 'their' club.

I was at the game, and stood and applauded the 'Roy boys of the ground, singing their song in all my Tigers gear......brought a tear to the eye.

I also was at this game.

I came across some photos a while back, of their players i took from behind the goals (pre), at the the end of the game.
Everyone clapped them, standing ovation,
sad way to go out for them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXsZrT9lDHE

Try the above link to you tube to ----
Watch the last few minutes and after game tributes