Football everyday of the week, thoughts? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Football everyday of the week, thoughts?

sconies

Tiger Rookie
Aug 22, 2019
welp.
A few articles coming out at the moment saying that next year games every night of the week should remain on the fixture following the current '20 day Football Frenzy'.

What's the PRE view? I personally have enjoyed it as I've been able to watch other team's games in real time and get a better perspective on them, that and I don't really watch television so it's nice to at least have the option.

That said, I'd hate for a Richmond game at the MCG to be on a Monday/Tuesday night due to working commitments. Can't imagine that happening due to possibly box office takings, though. But a Gold Coast vs. Fremantle or such Wednesday night game? I'm keen.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Nah, don't like going to the footy on a Thursday and then having to front up to work the next day. Mon, Tues, Wed probably even worse,

Then again, I grew up with 6 games on a Satdy Arvo.

So, a no from me although Big Richo's suggestion that they could do it for a short period around the bye makes more sense.

I have learned to live with Friday night and Sunday (wasn't that for the VFA?) but don't like midweek or even Monday at all.

DS

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I'd like to see it done for a limited block each year, around the byes.

Great way to spark the season into a frenzy before it heads into the serious end.

Players are absolutely loving it, coaches much less so which I think will be good for footy because it means the game is more about playing than theorising.

Yeah, for a short period each season I like it.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
As someone that attends games it's a terrible idea. Thursday nights alone are bad enough

Reactions: 3 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Love it. Would be good to have a 3 to 4 week frenzy like this mid year during the bye rounds.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Love it. Double headers on a friday night good too.

Reactions: 2 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
As someone who grew up in country Vic I totally understand that feeling but I also think we need to recognise that 80c in every dollar in the game comes from the media rights and without that there would be no game.

If giving them a bonanza means two rounds of inconvenient playing days then I think that's not a bad balance.
Game also needs to look after the fans. I notice the only ppl pushing for this idea are media who are paid to attend games as it's thier job. They are way out of touch with reality.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Like it at first.
Kind of bored of it now.
Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and the occasional Monday night would work better.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
I don’t mind it actually. The idea of squeezing 4 rounds into 3 weeks is a good one. Incorporating the Byes into the contracted weeks makes it work. Tuesday and Wednesday night games will be a bit of a non-event, attendance-wise. Crowds may be down, assuming a COVID-free world next year. That is not looking likely though, I have to say. In any case, half the teams in the AFL don’t really attract crowds anyway, so who cares if less than 10,000 people rock up to see North v GWS at Marvel on a Tuesday night?

I wouldn’t mind a 22 game season where they free up two weeks in the middle of the season for an old-fashioned State of Origin carnival.

Maybe something along the lines of Vic v SA and WA v Rest in the first week and a Final between the two winners in the second week. They could use byes and managing of star players to keep everyone fresh.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yeah, I am finding that I forget there is a game on every night. Forgot there was one on tonight until my partner who barely follows footy told me.

2 games on a Friday night is a no-brainer, they should do it. Also would help the TV coverage (which we know is where the money comes from): one on FTA and one on Pay, just unlucky if we're on pay I suppose.

While most of the money comes from the TV rights you wonder how long this can last with TV becoming less profitable. The other factor is that without the fans there are no TV viewers. We don't want to go down the road of small crowds and large TV rights, there needs to be a balance.

Having big crowds at the games and large memberships for clubs is what protects the game from something like Super League in rugby.

DS

OldTiger1967

Tiger Rookie
Jun 3, 2017
How will players cope with 33 games in 20 days when we return to 20 or 25 minute quarters with time on making some quarters 25 to 30 minutes?

Plus the longer quarters will make double header Friday nights far too long time wise to fit into free to air TV schedules.

OR

Is this a conspiracy by the media to get our games quarters shortened for good?

That would take the need for stamina out of our games and *smile* up teams that pour on the pressure in the last 8 to 10 minutes of 25 minute quarters. Anyone on here know of such a team?

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
It's a no from me. I like the breather between rounds and the build up that comes with it.

Don't like the shortened quarters. I'm regularly surprised at how little time is left in a quarter when we've only been playing for a few minutes.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
I don’t mind it actually. The idea of squeezing 4 rounds into 3 weeks is a good one. Incorporating the Byes into the contracted weeks makes it work. Tuesday and Wednesday night games will be a bit of a non-event, attendance-wise. Crowds may be down, assuming a COVID-free world next year. That is not looking likely though, I have to say. In any case, half the teams in the AFL don’t really attract crowds anyway, so who cares if less than 10,000 people rock up to see North v GWS at Marvel on a Tuesday night?

I wouldn’t mind a 22 game season where they free up two weeks in the middle of the season for an old-fashioned State of Origin carnival.

Maybe something along the lines of Vic v SA and WA v Rest in the first week and a Final between the two winners in the second week. They could use byes and managing of star players to keep everyone fresh.

Reckon you and I could both be a chance for selection in any State of Origin series played midway through a compressed AFL season - coz there’ll be bugger-all AFL players available and/or interested - and nor should they be

The last thing in the world I’d want would be to see would be our gun players getting injured in literally pointless exhibition games and missing the second half of the genuine season

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
The AFL certainly appear keen, think it’s ideal during a lockdown period as theres a captive audience.

During normal times I don’t think it works as well as we all live busy lives, personally I think both TV ratings and attendance would suffer during non COVID-19 times...

In saying all that I would be fine for a short block but for the reasons above don’t think it will stay if tried again.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
What we are finding is that there is no physical reason why 7 days is the magic number between games. If the Romans? had decided a week was 6 days we would have been used to that for a 150 years.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I could only see this working if they extended the season and we played everyone twice.

In a normal season I don’t enjoy the bye rounds as I get board and miss the tigers playing so if they were to condense a 22 round season with more breaks to they could cram some games in the middle doesn't make sense to me.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The point above about shorter games is relevant too.

We can't let them use this as an excuse to keep the 16 minute quarters. Quarters used to be 25 minutes plus time on, the shortening to 20 minutes plus time on was brought in with stricter interpretation of the time on rules, they stopped the clock more often and the quarters are about the same length.

If they want to do a short period of lots of games I suppose I can live with it but only if it is not used to shorten the quarters.

DS

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
Absolutely love knowing their is a footy game each night. As an avid NBA/MLB fan - the daily cadence is something that I enjoy.