Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
McGuire Dosent ever make mistakes, he has a greater ego then Trump , as well as been the greatest hypocrite on the planet . Absolute pig of a man , disgusts me how *smile* weak how many AFL people are intimidated by him.

bit of an easy target with this one but I reckon his matey matey way with the Pies players are some of the reason they have so many of field indiscretions

I tried listening to the ABC while watching but it was about 5 seconds behind up here in the bush .
McGuire’s pathetic attempts to be one of the boys with the Pies players is a large part of their cultural issues. The fish rots from the head.

Reactions: 2 users

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
I tried listening to the ABC while watching but it was about 5 seconds behind up here in the bush .
I use a little gadget with which you can delay the broadcast by up to 7 seconds to synch it with the TV. In saying that, the ABC commentators were barracking a bit for Port but not as bad as McChinn and co get.

Reactions: 1 user

percyms

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
I see that HTB in Carlton game is now an issue - amazing how bad decisions always seem to be a prolem in lots of games except Tiger games where they go out of their way to pick decisions that were 50/50 and went our way...

Reactions: 1 users

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
how do you do that Yinnar?
I got this thing several years ago for about $40. It's made in the US, I bought it from an Aust importer, can't remember who...I posted it on here about the time I bought it so that post might still be in the archives.

I plug the audio output into the sound system that the TV uses. You have to adjust the slider according to what different channels broadcast. Works ok for most footy and cricket but no good for channel 7 tennis and a few other sports where the sound delay is too big.
Radio Delayer.png

Reactions: 3 users

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
The front bar is the only show that has the guts to call it like it is and only get away with it because they wrap it up as a joke. It will be an interesting show this week.

Reactions: 4 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I see that HTB in Carlton game is now an issue - amazing how bad decisions always seem to be a prolem in lots of games except Tiger games where they go out of their way to pick decisions that were 50/50 and went our way...

Disgraceful decision.
Any chance Carlton had was gone the minute that goose blew the whistle.
WC and Collingwood play with an extra man on the ground.
23/11 Collingwood favour.
14/12 Wc favour, including 5 in forward 50.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
McGuire's actually a pretty good commentator with a tendency to barrack for the underdog, but that wasn't Port yesterday. He had his Collingwood hat on and it was infuriating. I didn't "press red for Ed"!
It's amusing on 2 levels, only a matter of weeks ago he was threatening to take Port to court over the prison bars/magpie saga & the way his pies are going it won't matter how we do...

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
"on the couch" were drooling all over cats & Port, they turned to us & showed some #'s from our game & asked if it was a concern, Nick said no because of who we have to come back etc & they changed the subject instantly.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
While I was cooking up some fried rice for tea, the Gerard and Robbo show came on, I couldn’t leave the wok to find the remote so I had to listen for a bit, nothing wrong with hav8ng a strong opinion, however just like McGuire do these 2 ever get anything wrong, they Truly believe thier belief is gospel

• Haha

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
"on the couch" were drooling all over cats & Port, they turned to us & showed some #'s from our game & asked if it was a concern, Nick said no because of who we have to come back etc & they changed the subject instantly.

Did you look at Lyon and Brown's
Face when Riewodlt was defending us.

First negative, Lyon * 'Have a look at those numbers, will they stack up?"

Positive Riewodlt * 'Regardless of the number's they were leading at 3qtr time'

Negative Brown *"Bah bah bah but port kicked 11-45, There poor kicking kept them in the game".

"Are you still sticking with them?'
Healy negative.

Healy wants the GF in Perth.
Im not sure why he has always had a love for WC.
Did you notice they didn't show those 3 shocking decision's paid against Carlton?
Lyon sort of wants Collingwood but deep down he just dosent want us to win it.
Now with Brown. No Brisbane last night, the silence was defending.

The funny part was when they went to the bloke for the Sportsbet odds.
We were 2nd favourite. :rotfl1
They couldn't believe it.
If they announce the GF will be in Queensland or NSW, we will automatically go favourites.
WC will drop.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

percyms

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Did u see Lyons go apshit at Dusty getting a fine instead of suspension for little jabs. Brings up this is third time in two seasons - they really do grab a straws to forward their obvious anti Tiger narrative. FFS why dont they look at Fyfe or Gablett and say the same *smile*. They show their bias on a consistant basis these idiots. Thank god for Riewodlt..

Reactions: 2 users

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Did u see Lyons go apshit at Dusty getting a fine instead of suspension for little jabs. Brings up this is third time in two seasons - they really do grab a straws to forward their obvious anti Tiger narrative. FFS why dont they look at Fyfe or Gablett and say the same *smile*. They show their bias on a consistant basis these idiots. Thank god for Riewodlt..
Condoning punching? FFS? Lyons is a moron.

Larrikin

Tiger Rookie
Aug 26, 2003
The media is the reason for me despising aspects of the game or certain players. In the Richmond game, they kept going on about how great a run Richmond were getting with the free kicks. Even during the half time break they were still talking about it. At half time the free kick count was 5 to Richmond and 10 to Port Adelaide. By the end of the game it was 11 to 22. So many times Port should have been pinged for holding the ball and no mention of it from the commentators. All I heard is how lucky Richmond were with the free kicks that were going there way. Why not just once just use the actual stats and read out the free kick count you flogs.

Now why do I despise aspects of football due to the media? Its because they set agendas like the one above without using facts. Why does no one ever talk about how West Coast has been in the competition for 35 years and for only 1 of those years, they lost the free kick count (and only barely lost it that year)? If they touch on this topic, they will rattle something about how thy get the advantage at home, and the "noise of affirmation" sways the umpires. I'd buy that, except if they come to the MCG and play Richmond or other Melbourne teams, they STILL win the free kick count despite the noise of affirmation the other way around. West Coast still gets a good run away from home, besides it should even out due to playing half at home and half away. 35 years of data though is damning.

If they ever address the Richmond having the worst free kick received to the ones given away in the AFL, the media say its because of Richmond's style of football. However the Bulldogs during their flag year played a similar style as do Collingwood now and both those teams always win the free kick count each season, and win it by a large margin. The case in point was the final game in 2018. Richmond vs the Bulldogs. Richmond had secured top spot and were playing "Bruise free football" that day to ensure no injuries. Richmond got 10 free kicks to the Bulldogs 20 that day.

The media's hate of Richmond is evident in their agendas against their players too. Any time Richmond scratch someone, the media are constantly all over it, replaying it again and again and saying that he will probably get a week or 2 for that. To me the worst case was Tyrone Vickery against Cox. Cox hits Tyrone with the elbow with force into his sternum. Flogs like Wayne Carey said "Oh that's a part of football, he will be OK." Elbowing people in the sternum is part of football? How Cox didn't get charged for that was the medias doing. I'd like to go up to everyone on the tribunal as well as Carey himself and whack them in the sternum with my elbow using the same force Cox did and say if they believe Cox didn't have anything to answer? The worst thing was when Tyrone whacked Cox, I don't think he meant it. He wasn't even looking at the player and flayed his arm in retaliation to the elbow he received and to keep cox behind him in the Ruck contest. It so happened that Cox lowered his head at the time and then he and everyone acted like Tyrone shot Bambi!

Now the reason I despise some players is also the medias doing. They protect certain players ie Selwood and Goodes. I've seen these guys do so many dogs acts on the footy field, yet the media don't even mention that they might be in trouble for their actions. I was at the MCG and right in front of me Selwood was on top of a Richmond player behind play and just whack him a few times. I thought he would get a few weeks for that for sure especially as they are more severe about behind the play infringements (the ball was a good 80m away). The media didn't even mention it.

The media decided to target Alex Rance for that time he staged. They were even talking about it games later, and in one of those games I saw Justin Westoff stage not just once but several times in that game, and they say nothing. They just kept talking about Alex Rance and how he staged that one time.

Talking about Alex Rance, I was there that sad night vs Carlton where he did his knee. Carlton didn't have much to cheer about that game, but the biggest cheer the Carlton fans did for the entire night was when Rance did his knee and it was shown on the replay. Did the AFL media bring this up? No of course not. But if it happened to Adam Goodes and especially if it was Richmond fans doing the cheering, they would have set the agenda that the cheering of the injury was very sad and was done because everyone was racist. We would have been seeing that replay for the entire season.

I could go on and on. The medias constant bias and the agendas they set are the cause of me not liking aspects of this great game. I used to watch all the games I could, now I pretty much just watch the Tigers games only because I can't stomach the media's crap that goes with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
The media is the reason for me despising aspects of the game or certain players. In the Richmond game, they kept going on about how great a run Richmond were getting with the free kicks. Even during the half time break they were still talking about it. At half time the free kick count was 5 to Richmond and 10 to Port Adelaide. By the end of the game it was 11 to 22. So many times Port should have been pinged for holding the ball and no mention of it from the commentators. All I heard is how lucky Richmond were with the free kicks that were going there way. Why not just once just use the actual stats and read out the free kick count you flogs.

Now why do I despise aspects of football due to the media? Its because they set agendas like the one above without using facts. Why does no one ever talk about how West Coast has been in the competition for 35 years and for only 1 of those years, they lost the free kick count (and only barely lost it that year)? If they touch on this topic, they will rattle something about how thy get the advantage at home, and the "noise of affirmation" sways the umpires. I'd buy that, except if they come to the MCG and play Richmond or other Melbourne teams, they STILL win the free kick count despite the noise of affirmation the other way around. West Coast still gets a good run away from home, besides it should even out due to playing half at home and half away. 35 years of data though is damning.

If they ever address the Richmond having the worst free kick received to the ones given away in the AFL, the media say its because of Richmond's style of football. However the Bulldogs during their flag year played a similar style as do Collingwood now and both those teams always win the free kick count each season, and win it by a large margin. The case in point was the final game in 2018. Richmond vs the Bulldogs. Richmond had secured top spot and were playing "Bruise free football" that day to ensure no injuries. Richmond got 10 free kicks to the Bulldogs 20 that day.

The media's hate of Richmond is evident in their agendas against their players too. Any time Richmond scratch someone, the media are constantly all over it, replaying it again and again and saying that he will probably get a week or 2 for that. To me the worst case was Tyrone Vickery against Cox. Cox hits Tyrone with the elbow with force into his sternum. Flogs like Wayne Carey said "Oh that's a part of football, he will be OK." Elbowing people in the sternum is part of football? How Cox didn't get charged for that was the medias doing. I'd like to go up to everyone on the tribunal as well as Carey himself and whack them in the sternum with my elbow using the same force Cox did and say if they believe Cox didn't have anything to answer? The worst thing was when Tyrone whacked Cox, I don't think he meant it. He wasn't even looking at the player and flayed his arm in retaliation to the elbow he received and to keep cox behind him in the Ruck contest. It so happened that Cox lowered his head at the time and then he and everyone acted like Tyrone shot Bambi!

Now the reason I despise some players is also the medias doing. They protect certain players ie Selwood and Goodes. I've seen these guys do so many dogs acts on the footy field, yet the media don't even mention that they might be in trouble for their actions. I was at the MCG and right in front of me Selwood was on top of a Richmond player behind play and just whack him a few times. I thought he would get a few weeks for that for sure especially as they are more severe about behind the play infringements (the ball was a good 80m away). The media didn't even mention it.

The media decided to target Alex Rance for that time he staged. They were even talking about games later, and in one of those games I saw Justin Westoff stage not just once but several times in that game, and they say nothing. They just kept talking about Alex Rance and how he staged that one time.

Talking about Alex Rance, I was there that sad night vs Carlton where he did his knee. Carlton didn't have much to cheer about that game, but the biggest cheer the Carlton fans did for the entire night was when Rance did his knee and it was shown on the replay. Did the AFL media bring this up? No of course not. But if it happened to Adam Goodes and especially if it was Richmond fans doing the cheering, they would have set the agenda that the cheering of the injury was very sad and was done because everyone was racist. We would have been seeing that that replay for the entire season.

I could go on and on. The medias constant bias and the agendas they set are the cause of me not liking aspects of this great game. I used to watch all the games I could, now I pretty much just watch the Tigers games only because I can't stomach the media's crap that goes with it.

The worst one for me was the Bachar Houli disgrace. Sure he flung his arm back to break free from the Bloos player, but it was not a deliberate strike. It was unlucky for both that he hit him flush & did some damage.
Bachar had never been reported or sanctioned AT ANY LEVEL OF FOOTBALL HE PLAYED IN, but he was absolutely smashed by the media. He gets a 2 week penalty which I thought was 1 week too many. What happens next, Gil the "smiling" flog does something that's NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE ( Or since mind you) steps in & extends the penalty to 4 weeks. Absolute bull"smile"
That is one of many reasons that I think Gil is an Absolutely disgusting CEO of the competition. Flog of the highest order

• Angry
Reactions: 8 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I don’t buy into the media have got it in for us but things have felt very targeted the last few weeks.

Reactions: 4 users