Frawley prepared for changes (club site) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Frawley prepared for changes (club site)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Frawley prepared for changes
Jordan Chong
afl.com.au
1:24:03 PM Fri 9 May, 2003

Richmond coach Danny Frawley says the team is unconcerned by the prospect of late changes to the Essendon side.

The Tigers host Essendon at the MCG on Saturday afternoon and despite speculation that injuries will prevent Mark Mercuri (knee) and Paul Barnard (hamstring) from lining up for the Bombers, Frawley indicated the Tigers were unfazed.

“You prepare for their best team and what they’ve got on the paper. That’s all we can prepare for. We can’t control who they are going to play and who they are not going to play,” Frawley said ahead of training at Punt Road on Friday.

“We expect James Hird and Paul Barnard and all these players to play and we’ll have to wait and see. I think we get the team sheet about a quarter past one like every other coach so we won’t know their line-up till them.”

“We’re going to have 22 players out there, Essendon are going to have 22 so (I’m looking) forward to getting out there and getting back into some winning form.”

Frawley said he expected the loss of skipper Wayne Campbell to have a profound impact on the Tigers and it’s something the whole team needs to remain conscious of.

Campbell strained a calf late in the first quarter of Richmond’s 27-point loss to Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium last Saturday.

“When your leader goes down you can’t expect one player to fill the void. We need 22 players to just add the little bit of leadership around the ground.”

“He’s a huge loss. He’s been in probably some of the best form of his career. He’s going to be sorely missed.”

Despite rain falling in Melbourne on Friday and the potential for wet weather Saturday morning, Frawley thinks the Tigers’ performance in the wet against Fremantle in round three will stand them in good stead.

“If the conditions are wet you’ve just got to play a little bit more conservative and maybe get the ball in there a little bit longer and get some more contests. We were able to do that against Fremantle.”

“We’re not sure what the conditions are going to be, our side’s not going to change one way or the other.”