From RODAN#18 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

From RODAN#18

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
I had an email request from a sometime poster on this site RODAN#18. They asked me to copy this link for them.

Your wish is my is my command and beside you asked me nicely ;D

The link is:
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77368

=====================

TO ALL HERE WITH COMMONSENSE AND WHO LOVE THE YELLOW AND BLACK.

PLEASE COPY MY SIG AND SEND TO GET NICK

you all rule...
Go tigers !

Last edited by Rodan#18. on 01-08-2003 at 04:19 AM

================

PS: What is big footy?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
C'Mon fess up, out of the 50 views of this thread so far how many have done what Rodan requested and e-mailed the club telling them to recruit Nick Stevens?

I find it amusing that anyone would expect the club to take notice of an influx of advice from supporters.

I do have issues with the club not responding to e-mails, but if they get bombarded with stuff like this then it's understandable in some ways.

I'd prefer the time taken reading this type of e-mail to be spent by the club in looking for our future champions themselves. ;D

P.S. Rodan, is there any reason you didn't post this message yourself?

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
TigerFurious said:
I'd rather Richmond draft kids than trade for Nick Stevens.

He's not exactly an old man TF, he's only 22-23. I'd rather a young established player like him on the verge of stardom then taking a risk at the Draft (particularly with Beck at the helm). 15 clubs would be after Nick Stevens if he was to leave Port, I'd definately trade my first pick (probably 7th or 8th pick overall) in the draft for him.

YeahNah

Attitude + Expectation = Culture
Dec 19, 2002
Upper Yarra Valley
I looked at the post, followed the link, but didn't send the E-mail. I am not in an informed enough position to assess whether the club should chase Nick or not. If we did, I'd be fine with that, but if the dollars were tight, a better deal could be done, or we were to draft a quality youngster, I'd also be happy with that. I don't feel a burning need to put pressure on the club one way or another. Greg, Danny & the others can sort that out. They're the ones who'll be under the pump if things turn pear shape.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
YeahNah said:
Greg, Danny & the others can sort that out. They're the ones who'll be under the pump if things turn pear shape.

Exactly YeahNah. So, they might as well make their own decisions and know that they either succeeded or failed by their own hand.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Im sick of us trading for players from other teams i couldnt give a *smile* who they are. Lets draft our own kids with our own picks and not give someone else too much for a one good player. I love Kane Johnson and hes been handy but who knows what would have eventuated with keeping Torney and getting a good young pick. I am glad we haev Johnson, but i am sick of us giving up picks going for quick fixes.

Bring on the kids.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
While I agree we need to bring on the kids. However, the Bulldogs, Saints and Freo have shown that you can have the best kids in the competition but you need more around them. Can you imagine where Freo would be without a capable leader in Bell? I can and it aint the finals.

Nick Stevens would give us at least 6-7 years good service. Any possible trade for a "gun" player up to the age of 23-25 is worth considering IMHO.

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
shawry said:
Im sick of us trading for players from other teams i couldnt give a **** who they are. Lets draft our own kids with our own picks and not give someone else too much for a one good player. I love Kane Johnson and hes been handy but who knows what would have eventuated with keeping Torney and getting a good young pick. I am glad we haev Johnson, but i am sick of us giving up picks going for quick fixes.

Bring on the kids.

Thank you for expressing your opinion Shawry, I can see that you have strong feelings regarding this issue. I am not trying to change your opinion but mine is vastly different.

I'm happy for us to trade for good young players (ie Under 23). If a Stevens or a Luke Power are available I would go for them as they are proven young players who still have plenty of improvement in them. To me, drafting these sorts of players is not a quick fix. A quick fix is drafting the Hudsons, Szillers, Houlihans etc.

We need to go out and get the best possible players available. If we believe the draft pool is stacked with talent and we can pick a superstar come our pick....go for it.

Look at Collingwood, It's amazing how everyone commented on their great recruiting from other clubs over the past few years. Players like Buckley, Rocca, Licuria, Wakelin, Clement, Holland, Molloy, Freeborn, O'Bree, McKee,etc. the recruitment of these players got Collingwood into a GF last year. This is from a team that got the wooden spoon 3 years earlier!!! This year they added Woewodin and Williams to the list. The Collingwood blueprint is what we should be following. Let's face it, we've been in the wilderness for 20 odd years and are constantly re-building. Let's get some real talented players (and get rid of the duds) in the team to compliment Coughlan, Johnson, Rodan etc and you will see some real improvement.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
I do agree with you Boss, i just feel knowing Richmond we are likely to give up too much to get one good player. I have no problem getting the good players, I encourage it as what you know is better than something unproven, I jsut hope we dont give up too mcuh for a star. Teh yare worth lots and teams want something back. It worries me that our club has a bad history in this area and hopefulyl wont give up too much of our future for the sake of one player.

I do agree thoguh you do need htose players to build on.