Game Day Tigers V Giants | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day Tigers V Giants

We’re just off this year. 8 games in and we haven’t played one really good game. We looked good against North but let’s face it they are *smile* so don’t think you take much from that. On the flip side we’ve played quite a few terrible games and in between we’ve been average at best.

We lack cohesion around the ground and seemed to have lost our connection. Our forward line has been a complete shambles all year and our go to inside 50 plan seems to be just bomb it long to an outnumbered contest. Lynch and Riewoldt can’t get near the ball and our much vaunted forward pressure has disappeared. Opposition just stroll out of our forward line like a Sunday walk. Coaching staff appear clueless on how to combat the flood.

Signs are not good. This isn’t like last year I feel. Last year we had major injury concerns but still managed to play some good games and get wins to hang in there until the guns returned. This year we have major injuries but we’re playing poorly. Our skill level and execution is a real concern.

I don't think we are miles off. We were thereabouts for much of the game and were coming, but if people don't think umpires don't impact games, you only need to look at the unpaid Chol mark. There wasn't another finger on it, but even if it had grazed one those marks have been paid for 100 years as they are marks. I think we were within 2 goals at that point, so bring the game to a 1 goal game, though GWS rebound and take it down our end. The swing in momentum from that point was huge. The other one that really swung the momentum was the free paid against Soldo for HTB at the start of the 3rd. There were at least 4 or 5 similar occurences of the exact same thing happening throughout the 2nd half, where a ruckman picks the ball off the ground and on the way up is tackled and ball held in. Only 1 was paid, the one against Soldo and enabled GWS to break into F50 and kick a goal, then kicked a 2nd from the next bounce with the same momentum.

In a 2 goal loss, those type of things really hurt.
That Soldo one was insipid to say the least. Love how commentary was too busy talking about grippo on jumpers to call the rubbish free but got all excited once again when the mark was taken down fwd for the goal. Not one metion of the free.

Reactions: 1 users
Thought I was losing interest in the 'Rona season....last night proved me wrong......still grumpy this morning. Definitely a game that we let slip

Reactions: 1 user
Thought I was losing interest in the 'Rona season....last night proved me wrong......still grumpy this morning. Definitely a game that we let slip

Same. Angry really dirty just like I was after the Pies game.

That’s 4 games sides are suffocating us in our forward line with extras and we just bomb, butcher entries, fumble and miss sitters....

come Wednesday I will be up and about but we can’t afford to drop too many from here on.

Hardwick has to come up with another plan and be prepared to at times swing changes in game and put the blow torch on a few players.

His phrase that he likes to use becomes even more critical in a 17 round season.

‘big boy month’.

We’re just off this year. 8 games in and we haven’t played one really good game. We looked good against North but let’s face it they are *smile* so don’t think you take much from that. On the flip side we’ve played quite a few terrible games and in between we’ve been average at best.

We lack cohesion around the ground and seemed to have lost our connection. Our forward line has been a complete shambles all year and our go to inside 50 plan seems to be just bomb it long to an outnumbered contest. Lynch and Riewoldt can’t get near the ball and our much vaunted forward pressure has disappeared. Opposition just stroll out of our forward line like a Sunday walk. Coaching staff appear clueless on how to combat the flood.

Signs are not good. This isn’t like last year I feel. Last year we had major injury concerns but still managed to play some good games and get wins to hang in there until the guns returned. This year we have major injuries but we’re playing poorly. Our skill level and execution is a real concern.
You are right this isn't like last year! Lockdowns,variable fixtures,and so on. Had we kicked straight we would have won.Given that we had many missing playing against last year's grand finalist and STILL nearly beat them is pretty good IMO. The rest of this season will see sides lose when expected to win and vice versa more than any previous year.The team with the most resilience will end up lifting the cup in 2020.

This is it for me. I think if that game got played 100 times we win 95 of them.

We missed some absolute sodas and had nothing from 40+ go through the middle.
Class of Green gave giants unbelievable reward for their small moments of dominance and some costly 50m penalties against and a no mark to chol he would have slotted.

This is with a LOT of youth.

Yes getting little from Lynch and Riewoldt and it felt like Naish could only dispose of it to giants players. Lynch has a broken hand.

Unfortunately we don’t have long for it to click or we won’t make the eight. On the flip side if it does and given how even the season is and that we still play teams around us we can easily be top four too.

Glass still half full for me but still pissed off this one wasn’t a W.

Reactions: 2 users
Changes from the GF

Cotchin <=> Graham
Astbury <=> Balta
Prestia <=> Higgins
Edwards <=> Aarts
Houli <=> Eggmolesse-Smith
Caddy <=> McIntosh
Nankervis <=> Chol
Ellis <=> Naish

Unfortunately the second group doesn't have the same fluency/talent/familiarity with the gameplan for moving the ball quickly and turns the team from premiers into also-rans.

Last edited:
Changes from the GF

Cotchin <=> Graham
Caddy <=> Balta
Prestia <=> McIntosh
Edwards <=> Aarts
Houli <=> Eggmolesse-Smith
Nankervis <=> Chol
Ellis <=> Naish

Unfortunately the second group doesn't have the same fluency/talent/familiarity with the gameplan for moving the ball quickly and turns the team from premiers into also-rans.

It was a great 3 year ride.
Everything needs to come to an end.

Which were the good games that you recall from the first half of last year (beating Carlton in Rd 1 doesn't count)?

I still recall the humiliations we were subjected to by Geelong, North and Doggies. I think last night's game was a good comparison to all three of those games, where we were at risk of being blown away but were able to hang in.

I share the disappointment of "letting that one slip through", but I still think there at lots of positives. Thrashing a poor team like North teaches you nothing, but I think the team will learn a lot from last night.

Big month ahead and if we can lift 20% on last night, then we will win a few. We will likely get trounced in at least one given the inexperienced 22 available. However I agree with Dimma, I think that 20% will come from better execution. They are now in a hub and able to address this through training together, which is something they haven't been able to do since March.

It was a great 3 year ride.
Everything needs to come to an end.

Ideally you're introducing your developing players a couple at a time. It's too many to compete against the better sides unless they're an exceptional group. I actually thought we were OK last night for where this team is at. Just got beaten by better, more solid oppo.

ClubAvg AgeAvg GmsAvg GlsAvg HgtAvg Wgt
GWS26.08104.858.6188.588.5
Rich25.1076.674.3185.785.4
Bump

We were the underdogs last night. Our inexperience and inability to execute cost us. The more experienced GWS were able to do what was required to wrestle control of the match.

Plenty of positives if you are willing to see them.

I think Dimma saw the positives, but he also knows where the improvement is needed. This season is strange but at the same time we're in familiar territory to last year with injuries. But hey, we had 7 premiership players missing from our team last night (Astbury, Cotch, Caddy, Edwards, Houli, Prestia, Nankervis) and we kicked poorly and we only lost by 2 goals!! In some ways it is remarkable how well we are still playing, despite not playing well.

Everything you have just written is so right.

The Tigers were missing in just about every stat except forays into forward zone.

As you posted bad kicking is bad football and that is how it was last night.

No good comes from bagging certain players, it is a team game, and sure some were below best, but quite a few did OK.

Whilst we continue to just bomb into the forward line we will continue to struggle to kick goals.

Where is our running game these days? We are now just stopping and kicking long, no flow like in the past.

Exactly.
How many times we stop, prop or go back over the mark (when not told to play on)???

Is it personnel , confidence in your team mate or fitness...?

I think Dimma saw the positives, but he also knows where the improvement is needed. This season is strange but at the same time we're in familiar territory to last year with injuries. But hey, we had 7 premiership players missing from our team last night (Astbury, Cotch, Caddy, Edwards, Houli, Prestia, Nankervis) and we kicked poorly and we only lost by 2 goals!! In some ways it is remarkable how well we are still playing, despite not playing well.

I agree to some aspects but i reckon if we get opened up by a team in the next 3 weeks.
The season will be over.
How long do you give a player out of form in a 17 game season?
Rioli Riewodlt and even Lynch??
Either he makes changes on the ground with the group he has or he keeps bringing in the kids.
I rather lose with kids in the side rather watching Riewoldt fade away into the abyss.

This is it for me. I think if that game got played 100 times we win 95 of them.

We missed some absolute sodas and had nothing from 40+ go through the middle.
Class of Green gave giants unbelievable reward for their small moments of dominance and some costly 50m penalties against and a no mark to chol he would have slotted.

This is with a LOT of youth.

Yes getting little from Lynch and Riewoldt and it felt like Naish could only dispose of it to giants players. Lynch has a broken hand.

Unfortunately we don’t have long for it to click or we won’t make the eight. On the flip side if it does and given how even the season is and that we still play teams around us we can easily be top four too.

Glass still half full for me but still pissed off this one wasn’t a W.
My feelings exactly. We are thereabouts and still got heaps of improvement left. Giants gave it their best shot and I don’t think they have massive improvement left in them. Dimma is right we have players still learning the caper. We let this one slip but we have been here before and I expect us to come with a rush at finals time. I am proud of the kids. Getting this type of game time against quality opponents is an invaluable lesson.

Least-experienced teams since 2012

YearRoundResultOppAvg GmsGms Diff
20208LGWS76.6-28.2
201913LAdel77.5-31.1
20194WP.A.73.3-28.6
20177LW.B.77.8-8.9
20175WMelb78.5+6.3
201618LHaw80.0-58.9
20162LColl73.0+3.5
20161WCarl72.7-10.8
20154LMelb67.9-14.7
20146LHaw75.3-41.7
20145WBris78.4+16.6
20144LColl77.8-17.4
201223DP.A.76.3-11.7
201222WEss78.5+11.8
201221LFrem80.0-22.4

Hardwick's first 58 teams to Round 19, 2012 all had under 80 games of experience, down to as low as 44 games in early 2010.

Essentially we've been cast back eight years in development by the injuries. Apart from the miracle at Port last year, we haven't been able to beat senior teams.

Fwd line is a big concern. Lynch and Jack ... hmmm it’s an interesting one... really can’t afford to play both at the moment. Both are so slow and are just completely ineffectual when the ball hits the deck.... and really it doesn’t suit our brand at all. In 2017 things really turned around when the second tall Griffiths went down injured and we were forced to change our set up to the mobile Riewoldt, Caddy and his band of amigos. We tried Elton in 2018 as that second tall and it didn’t work.... then 2019 Lynch basically was the lone wolf with jack injured all year. Sure jack came back and the rest is history - but if you put the GF aside - the setup has never really looked that good.

Feel like teams have worked us out in respect to getting a number back and making an outnumber on our talls. This isn’t rocket science but our our ground ball game is nowhere near what it once was to cover this. The Rioli, Butler, Castagna set up has been unbelievably effective over the years - not letting any balls out once it came to ground. We are badly missing that element.
Aarts is a goer - but lacks class.
Rioli - completely out of sorts
Higgins - decent season but is slow and can’t kick 40mts
Castagna - is being used up the ground and form has dwindled.
Bolton - lost him to the midfield now (a positive)

zips is right - we need to find a combination down there with more variety. Perhaps a hybrid type like Markov who is quick, a good mark and from his VFL work - seems a decent shot for goal.

Maybe Baker is needed to add some class up there. Maybe stack needs another run there.Perhaps it’s time to see CCJ or run with one of Lynch/Jack and Chol.

I dunno what the answer is but the set up at the moment is not working whatsoever.

I would say Castagna has played well up the ground and more a matter have you robbed Peter to pay Paul? Non performing forward line is our biggest issue this year.
I blame the players but Fly is the new Forward coach this year replacing Minnie.

Which were the good games that you recall from the first half of last year (beating Carlton in Rd 1 doesn't count)?

I still recall the humiliations we were subjected to by Geelong, North and Doggies. I think last night's game was a good comparison to all three of those games, where we were at risk of being blown away but were able to hang in.

I share the disappointment of "letting that one slip through", but I still think there at lots of positives. Thrashing a poor team like North teaches you nothing, but I think the team will learn a lot from last night.

Big month ahead and if we can lift 20% on last night, then we will win a few. We will likely get trounced in at least one given the inexperienced 22 available. However I agree with Dimma, I think that 20% will come from better execution. They are now in a hub and able to address this through training together, which is something they haven't been able to do since March.
What about beating Port in Adelaide with our 4 best players missing? A victory for the ages. Followed up by a strong win against Sydney at Chernobyl. A really good win against Freo in Perth when we were again undermanned and lost Nank and Ross during the game. We have not played anything like that this year. Yeah the losses against North and Dogs were bad but we always struggle against those teams at Chernobyl. Against the Cats we had no one on the park.

The one positive is that at least our endeavour is there now. The first 3 games back after the break we were completely disinterested; especially against Hawthorn. Now it’s just our connection, skill level and decision making that is missing. All 3 are diabolical. My God the forward line is excruciating to watch.

The season is by no means gone but we do have to play most of the top teams still and a few on their home grounds. We have only beaten bottom 8 teams. We should be 6-2 right now and sitting pretty. The draw against Scumwood and loss last night are both games we should have won and have left us very vulnerable.