GAME DAY - Tiges vs Dees | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GAME DAY - Tiges vs Dees

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Tend to agree Lee. There's some players who just aren't up to high pressure football. Aarts is one. I don't want to single him out, as there are others, but we need to regenerate on the run.

Missing Prestia and Vlausin hurts, as everyone else has to step in to fill a void, but 18-26 aren't what they used to be.
But some of our 1-10s aren't either.
It's illogical to believe that the 14 triple premiership players and the 3 or 4 two timers can all continue be performing at maximum level for a 5th straight year. Age if nothing else is going to impact some. Need to be ruthless this year if we want to grab another flag or two in this era.
Alternately remain loyal to the champs let them play out their days on their own terms and rebuild for second half of this decade.

Reactions: 4 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I'm still not over the loss to the Kochies now I'm supposed to handle being beaten by the Range Rovers......................FML.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I think Dees are a credentialed challenger.

their backline is multi pronged and solid

their midfield led by Gawn is good enough to contend.

I think their forward line isnt quite good enough to win a flag - they keep saying they have ben brown in the 2nds like they havnt watched the 2nds

But I love the hype

MackTiger

Yellow and Black
Jul 14, 2003
With no Flossy, Meatball, Lambo, Dusty, Soldo and an aging skipper, it's a tough time, not one though we havent got over before.

I'd seriously be looking at multiple changes against the Doggies.

Unleash the kids, down forward and in the ruck. With no English, CCJ Plays. MRJ plays.

We looked so slow tonight and so unclean below our knees.

The bombing into the fwd line only worked against stkilda because their back 6 are average. But what did we do tonight?

Even when wet and going to ground, small fwds...............wow.

Titch is one tackle away from being rubbed out. Marlion is our swingman and Jack Ross must start.

Tonight was a disaster, Demons got under our skins too. Was not a Richmond Game.

Only thing I liked which have seen for the first time is Agro Shai, hopefully that team effort really peeved him off so much so he will come out net week and destroy them.

In $hai we trust.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Disappointing performance tonight.

Couldn't put the scoreboard pressure on in the 1st quarter that we should have, and then completely beaten up around the ball in the 2nd.

We were better in the 2nd half but they were much cleaner with the ball and that showed in our ball use forward. I thought we looked better when we pushed Balta up the ground, structured us better and helped stop Lever and Gawn dominating so much as we were pretty much kicking it to them at any chance that we could,

Just on Lynch (and I mentioned this a few weeks ago), he engages his opponent too much. He's engaging, losing the strength contest and then getting caught behind too often. Our ball use isn't helping him but he's a forward that does best on the lead, but the way he is playing the defenders isn't helping him at all.

I think potentially a 3rd tall would help in the forward line as it would isolate him 1 on 1 a bit more. I think we need that tall anyway, as we rarely take those marks down the line and we need that with the way the game is being played this year, the amount of times Gawn and Lever did that today was telling and really important to Melbournes win.

Reckon we aren't far off, we just aren't clicking right now. I think we have players well down on form and we probably need to rebuild on the run. I think Aarts is a bit of a momentum killer at times too, but with slowness in his legs but also with some of his ball movement.

We need to rejuvenate the midfield too. Looks like injuries are going to push that to happen and we will probably lose next week as the Dogs midfield is very strong but we need to start seeing the green shoots of the next mids, even if they aren't going to be A graders, we need to see the next B graders coming through.

I mentioned a few weeks ago, I'd like to see Cotch moved out of the midfield lineup by the end of the year and have him fill one of those pressure forward spots around half forward, not only do I think he'd be great at the fall of the ball, we can also have him run with players like Salem when they get off and have a field day as he did today. With the injuries might not be able to do that yet, but we should be looking towards it. I don't think he's good enough any longer to be in our 1st mid lineup, he should still get a run in there but should be rotating from half forward.

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
we rarely get a free kick inside 50. Ds got 3 soft ones. we missed 3 set shots that were pretty straightforward.
i don't think there was much in that game .. despite the way it looked
The demons play a very high possession game and that makes it look worse that it is. I was at the game and looked at the stats late in the first quarter and at that stage we had 18-8 inside 50s but nearly 20 less possessions.
We lost the game by not making the early dominance pay ,we should really have been 3-4 goals up at quarter time.
The way to beat Melbourne is the same way it has always been. You let them play their high possession game but pressure them until it breaks down. We weren’t good enough for long enough tonight and when we were we didn’t make it count.
I would still fancy us against them in September but we may not get the chance to see if I’m right

Reactions: 4 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The seconds got smashed as well. By all accounts as listless as the seniors.

Did anything go down at the club this week? Are we on a heavy training load? Someone's dog died? Dimma announced his engagement?

Its was an unRichmondy performance.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
well, we'll just have to agree to disagree. And if you call coming from the clouds to smash an opposition pretty boy who thinks he's in the clear a party trick, well, you have a very different definition of a party trick to me. One of our best tonight, zero doubt.

That was a joke of a free as well to Neal Bullen. Wasa terrific bump to the side and Neal Bullen throws his head backwards.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Can we do it a 3rd time? I think we're in a bit of trouble.
Might be in a bit more trouble than last year.

Plenty of tough games to come and the two sides that we beat to get our season kick started were Sydney and Melbourne and they've both slapped us and embarrassed us in doing so.

Reactions: 2 users

rat bastad

I'm a llama!
Aug 11, 2003
Melbourne
Interesting comments here for and against.

When the draw was announced, I looked at it and made the call to a mate that wed probably be 5-5 after Rd 10. Looks like that might be the case.

The Dogs and Demons are peaking early but they have few injuries. We've seen the Swannies look all conquering then go AWOL. It will be interesting to see if they can keep up that level of intensity by Rd 18 and leading into finals. WE already know how THAT works.

Wet Coke and Port I don't rate in Melb... that opens the door somewhat for other teams.

I reckon the key for us is to batten down the hatches now, ramp up the intensity, play some kids, drop those who are'nt performing and grind out some wins/points to the break, then get some players back.

Are we likely to get Soldo back later in the year? Anyone know how he's travelling in rehab ?

• Love

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
I wonder if the hunger is still there.
Hunger seems there when we are on top but dont think we have the hunger when opposition teams get momentum. Almost like players are mentally done and dont have the will to fight back like we used to.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
That was a joke of a free as well to Neal Bullen. Wasa terrific bump to the side and Neal Bullen throws his head backwards.

The one in front of goals that resulted in a free and goal? Pickett had his arm out and head high, whether it made contact or not doesn't really matter. Had he tackled and wrapped up Bullen it would have been our free, or at worst a ball up.

But no, go the low percentage bump and and give away another goal. It's exactly what I'm talking about with Pickett.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
The demons play a very high possession game and that makes it look worse that it is. I was at the game and looked at the stats late in the first quarter and at that stage we had 18-8 inside 50s but nearly 20 less possessions.
We lost the game by not making the early dominance pay ,we should really have been 3-4 goals up at quarter time.
The way to beat Melbourne is the same way it has always been. You let them play their high possession game but pressure them until it breaks down. We weren’t good enough for long enough tonight and when we were we didn’t make it count.
I would still fancy us against them in September but we may not get the chance to see if I’m right

I agree, the 1st quarter hurt us. We blew a couple of very good opportunities. Graham could have taken another 10-15m but didn't want to bounce the ball was one. There were several others where we didn't pick the right option or a bit unlucky, Sheds rove from the Gawn tap right in front but dragged it through for a behind.

I agree we would take it right up to them in a final, regardless of the result tonight.

Petracca and Salem deserved us putting some more time into them tonight, like they did with Hibberd on Dusty but we don't seem to like tagging / run with roles.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
We have to disagree because I have Houli playing a better team game than Pickett.
I thought Houli was quite poor. His kicking was sub standard for some reason. At the ground it was quite noticeable it was lacking its usual penetration.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I thought Houli was quite poor. His kicking was sub standard for some reason. At the ground it was quite noticeable it was lacking its usual penetration.
I didn't say Houli had a good game.