Gas gets life at Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Gas gets life at Tigerland

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au
11:43:31 AM Thu 1 May, 2003

When it comes to top quality pick-ups from rival league clubs, Darren Gaspar must rank as one of the finest in Richmond’s proud history.

Gaspar, who turns 27 on May 20, started his AFL career at Sydney, where he played 21 games in 1994-95.

He was snapped up by the Tigers in the 1996 pre-season draft amid a good deal of publicity and has gone on to provide the Club with tremendous value.

The star defender won Richmond’s coveted Jack Dyer Medal in 2001, was runner-up in 2000 and finished third in 1997. He’s also been a dual All-Australian representative during his time at Tigerland (2000 and 2001).

This Saturday night’s match against Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium will be Gaspar’s 150th in the famous Yellow and Black, meaning he'll qualify for Life Membership of the Club.

Richmond assistant coach Darren Crocker echoed the thoughts of tens of thousands of Tiger fans in his assessment of D. Gaspar’s playing ability.

“Darren’s very rarely beaten,” Crocker said.

“He’s a player who doesn’t actually look as strong as what he is. But he’s a wiry type of player who is, in fact, quite strong for his size. That, along with his cat-like reflexes, allows him to play on the bigger forwards of the competition – and beat them – by bringing the ball to ground and then being able to run off them.”

Crocker compared the Richmond vice-captain to Australian Test cricket vice-captain Adam Gilchrist.

“He’s like Gilchrist is to the Australian cricket team – rock-solid, reliable and one of the first picked in the side.

“You can just plonk ‘Gas’ straight on the opposition’s best forward every week and know that he’s going to do the job for you.”

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
On ya Gas and well deserved. In AA form to top it off :).