MCG capacity revised after Tiger win | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

MCG capacity revised after Tiger win

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
MCG capacity revised after Tiger win
by STAFF REPORTERS

Melbourne Cricket Ground officials have had to revise the temporary capacity of the stadium during building works, following the crowd estimate offered for the Richmond-Hawthorn game.

A Bladder survey, conducted on Monday and Tuesday following the Tigers’ remarkable comeback from a 51 point deficit midway through the second term, has found that there were 253,000 Richmond supporters at the ground to witness the event.

“We had thought the ground’s capacity was around 70,000 while the new stand is being built, but clearly we’ve dramatically underestimated how many people can squeeze into the stands,” said MCG spokesman Stephen Gough.

Not a single Richmond supporter surveyed by The Bladder admitted to being anywhere but at the MCG on Saturday. Fourteen people who were actually being married in various venues around town at 3 pm on Saturday managed to be at the ground regardless, while 47 Tiger fans currently in Intensive Care or on Life Support Systems in various hospitals around Australia swore that they managed to get to the 'G to see the Tigers roar back to beat the Hawks.

“Hey, that Wayne Campbell. He’s good, isn’t he?” said one fan.

Even a Tiger supporter who has lived in Norway for two decades remarkably reported that he had, on a spur of the moment decision, caught a plane home last Thursday, made it to the ground, witnessed the historic win, and made it back to Oslo in time for work on Monday.

“What are the odds that I’d get to enjoy such a great game?” he added. The man was unable to show The Bladder receipts or plane tickets.

From 'Just because it didn't happen doesn't mean it's not true' thebladder.com

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Maybe the next time one of my friends says to me it must have been a great game to be at I'll just pretend I was there with the several hundred thousand other Tiger fans.
Of all the games to miss why was it that one, ha.
Then again when I snuck a listen to the 1/4 time scores I was glad I wasn't there.