General Trade Discussion 2022 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

General Trade Discussion 2022

He played most of this year forward though. GWS had to give their long term contracted and young players midfield time.

Kelly
Coniglio
Whitfield
Green
Ash
O’Halloran
Bruhn
Callahan

He got squeezed out. He’s not their best paid player. They’ve probably managed him poorly TBH. Interesting given he’s their B&F winner in a grand final year. I reckon they f’up massively with him. It happens.
Correct, he got squeezed out by better footballers, if he can't make it as a prime mover for GWS I fail to see how he's worth 2 top 20 picks.

Reactions: 1 users
Correct, he got squeezed out by better footballers, if he can't make it as a prime mover for GWS I fail to see how he's worth 2 top 20 picks.

You’re misreading what I’m saying.

GWS f’ed their cap when Taranto was in contract. Not squeezed out by better players. GWS had to justify the long term deals by playing those players in the guts and playing the kids they wanted to keep.

They mismanaged their cap, that’s the only reason hopper and Taranto are leaving

Hunt to WC for pick 52. Odd one this given he's a Vic. Boringbourne culture.

• Wow
You’re misreading what I’m saying.

GWS f’ed their cap when Taranto was in contract. Not squeezed out by better players. GWS had to justify the long term deals by playing those players in the guts and playing the kids they wanted to keep.

They mismanaged their cap, that’s the only reason hopper and Taranto are leaving
GWS have managed all their mids in a similar manner, Kelly is their blue ribbon guy, Coniglio their quality inside mid, Ward the tireless former leader & then there's all the others who have gone through the revolving door ever since their inception. Every year like clockwork some team will be seduced by one or two seasons of excellence & then plonk a stupid amount of draft capital to see if they can buy a premiership. This shop is like visiting footy's equivalent of a dodgy pawnbroker, rarely does it work out yet GWS get away with it year after year.

Reactions: 3 users
Understand why we have handed over our first 2 picks but surely would have thought we'd at least get something back...unless there is an agreement we get Hopper on the cheap due to the salary dump aspect.

If we trade both pick 31 and our 1st rounder next year without getting anything back for Hopper I'll spew.

Reactions: 2 users
So 12 days of JHF discussions? So thrilled.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
GWS have managed all their mids in a similar manner, Kelly is their blue ribbon guy, Coniglio their quality inside mid, Ward the tireless former leader & then there's all the others who have gone through the revolving door ever since their inception. Every year like clockwork some team will be seduced by one or two seasons of excellence & then plonk a stupid amount of draft capital to see if they can buy a premiership. This shop is like visiting footy's equivalent of a dodgy pawnbroker, rarely does it work out yet GWS get away with it year after year.

I don’t get the point you’re making. You’re implying that GWS get the better end of the player market yet they’ve not won a flag and are now rebuilding after AFL
Underwrote their success.

If anything their total incompetence in TPP management benefits the comp. Take the Suns for example. Same set of circumstances, we end up with three of their players and win flags.

I’ve got total confidence the club can pick the opportunities from the expansion clubs.

Jack Riewoldt, Patrick Cripps, Taylor Adams, Lachie Weller, Daniel Talia, Tom Lynch, Brad Ebert, Shannon Hurn

Pick 13 is prime real estate, mistakes can happen but much better to highlight the success stories & not focus on the busts. None of those players listed have had enough time in the system to make a judgement one way or the other.

Pick 21 could be Keeler, now that would make for an interesting discussion in 4 years time.
Sure. But you're saying you're happy to close our premiership window. That's what it boils down to.

Reactions: 6 users
Sure. But you're saying you're happy to close our premiership window. That's what it boils down to.

Agree. Do both. Keep the window open. Hopper and Taranto are young enough. And build a core for the future when our 2021 draft haul are ready to start playing.

I don’t get the point you’re making. You’re implying that GWS get the better end of the player market yet they’ve not won a flag and are now rebuilding after AFL
Underwrote their success.

If anything their total incompetence in TPP management benefits the comp. Take the Suns for example. Same set of circumstances, we end up with three of their players and win flags.

I’ve got total confidence the club can pick the opportunities from the expansion clubs.
The Suns generally offer a value added service, dealing with them usually ends well - Prestia, Caddy, Wright, Brodie, Jack Martin, Hall, Scrimshaw & Lynch have all justified their existence. There's usually value to be found. GWS on the other hand tend to dump damaged goods onto the market and dress it up like a grand final parade down Swanston. Their deals generally garbage & I haven't even discussed Patton & Boyd who were also dud missiles, although Boyd's grand final performance probably enough to placate the Doggies hierarchy & supporter base.

You can still have a tilt without selling the farm. Plenty of attractive offers, Grundy looking like a steal, Tom Mitchell another bargain basement player. These deals are the ones you make when it's almost curtain time, not selling out the future this year & next.

You can still have a tilt without selling the farm. Plenty of attractive offers, Grundy looking like a steal, Tom Mitchell another bargain basement player. These deals are the ones you make when it's almost curtain time, not selling out the future this year & next.
Neither of those blokes would keep our window open.

Neither of those blokes would keep our window open.
Grundy might be a premiership player next year, Mitchell even money to match the output of Taranto. Have you considered how our season may unfold if Nank gets injured?

• Haha
I'll try to respond when I stop laughing
I have no idea what the joke is, losing Nank will probably be the biggest hole on the field & we're talking about trading Soldo to make that situation potentially worse. Glad to see you find that amusing.

The picks we traded will be more like 13 and 21 when they're used.
2018 Pick 13: Isaac Quaynor, pick 21: Ely Smith
2019 Pick 13: Will Day, pick 21: Thomson Dow
2020 Pick 13: Tom Powell, pick 21: Jake Bowey
2021 Pick 13: Ben Hobbs, pick 21: Matt Johnson
(y)This is the crap shoot.