General Trade Discussion 2022 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

General Trade Discussion 2022

So this was in the making from the back end of 2021. Hence why we went all in the draft last year.
Blair Hartley explains decisions behind the Tigers’ incredible trade period
The Tigers have pulled off a trade period for the ages. What is next on their agenda? Jon Ralph has the latest from inside Punt Rd.
Richmond will look to extend star mid-forward Shai Bolton in the coming months after nailing a perfect trade period that will extend their premiership window.
Richmond list boss Blair Hartley revealed on Wednesday the heist to secure GWS midfielders Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper had been over a year in the making with the Tigers planning for the twin acquisition as early as last season.
Hopper said an unexpected pitch from Dustin Martin during his tour of Punt Road had been another factor to help him choose Richmond.
Damien Hardwick’s side has given up immense trade capital in picks 12, 19, 31 and a future first-rounder but in the trade period it retained key players Ivan Soldo and Jack Graham.
Graham had looked around and met with Port Adelaide, while Soldo at one stage looked likely to head to GWS as part of the Jacob Hopper deal.
Hartley said the ability to split the Taranto and Hopper deals had helped the Giants secure the No.1 overall pick, with GWS eventually deciding to retain cap space instead of securing Soldo.
The Herald Sun revealed recently that talks had started on a new long-term deal past 2023 for the brilliant match-winner Bolton.
Hartley said on Wednesday those talks would now escalate, with Richmond to take picks 53 and 63 to the draft and make decisions on the uncontracted Sydney Stack and Riley Collier-Dawkins.
“They have already started,” Hartley said of Bolton’s talks.
“I have a strong relationship with Anthony Van Der Wielen from Perth. He had taken on Shai Bolton and we will work to get that done. Shai is a special player and he’s put in a heap of hard work.
“We are even more excited about what he is going to do in the future and we will lock that away.”
The Tigers need to elevate Stack onto the senior list after his time as a rookie but could choose to delist him then re-rookie him, aware it would allow rivals to swoop.
Hopper said he was thrilled to be able to continue his football journey alongside great mate Taranto, revealing Dustin Martin’s wooing had played a small role.
“Dusty has been brilliant. He was very good when I had my walk-through (of Punt Rd) so he’s been great. I haven’t spoken much to Dusty (before) so it was good. He was brilliant, very good.
“To do it together (with Taranto) is really unique and cool and I am looking forward to it
It’s massively exciting but obviously the list is still in a great position to be super successful.
“I am looking forward to contributing in every way I possibly can. Get me out there and I will do whatever it takes. It was huge to get the call yesterday. I am super-pumped. I feel like I have almost been drafted again. It was super exciting to get the news yesterday and become a Tiger.’’
Hartley told Trade Radio the Tigers were confident in securing Hopper and Taranto on seven-year deals.
“Those decisions don’t come lightly. It’s not like we are flippant about throwing around seven-year deals. Since the advent of free agency managers have looked to lock away players with security. There are some risks involved but they are calculated ones.
“Dion Prestia signed for five years at the end of 2016 and then signed a three-year extension so when you are looking to attract high quality players to your club these things are what you need to consider and we don’t do that lightly.”
He said the Tigers were thrilled to retain Soldo despite believing at some stage they would have to move him on.
“We had a mature conversation with his manager and if Ivan wanted to explore his options we wouldn’t stand in his way. The longer it went on we wanted to keep Ivan and GWS were in a position to realign their salary cap. So Ivan stays at Richmond and we are delighted he is staying with us and looking forward to what he is going to bring next year.’’

Reactions: 10 users
I agree they gave an assurance, but when they gave it they only had 1 early F/S to match. As Redford said, they can still do it, they just have to pay more overall than they initially thought.
Plus the McStay pick back, the Berry picks back and the 21 from GWS last year, the swaps with Geelong, and their picks next year as well. They have plenty. Its just Ambrogio being a fwit again and the CLUB being the problem, not the agent. Which will be proved out shortly.

Geelong a different story. I think they've miscalculated a bit and/or Mackie trying to strong arm things. But regardless, another CLUB problem, not agent.

Blair Hartley explains decisions behind the Tigers’ incredible trade period
The Tigers have pulled off a trade period for the ages. What is next on their agenda? Jon Ralph has the latest from inside Punt Rd.
Richmond will look to extend star mid-forward Shai Bolton in the coming months after nailing a perfect trade period that will extend their premiership window.
Richmond list boss Blair Hartley revealed on Wednesday the heist to secure GWS midfielders Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper had been over a year in the making with the Tigers planning for the twin acquisition as early as last season.
Hopper said an unexpected pitch from Dustin Martin during his tour of Punt Road had been another factor to help him choose Richmond.
Damien Hardwick’s side has given up immense trade capital in picks 12, 19, 31 and a future first-rounder but in the trade period it retained key players Ivan Soldo and Jack Graham.
Graham had looked around and met with Port Adelaide, while Soldo at one stage looked likely to head to GWS as part of the Jacob Hopper deal.
Hartley said the ability to split the Taranto and Hopper deals had helped the Giants secure the No.1 overall pick, with GWS eventually deciding to retain cap space instead of securing Soldo.
The Herald Sun revealed recently that talks had started on a new long-term deal past 2023 for the brilliant match-winner Bolton.
Hartley said on Wednesday those talks would now escalate, with Richmond to take picks 53 and 63 to the draft and make decisions on the uncontracted Sydney Stack and Riley Collier-Dawkins.
“They have already started,” Hartley said of Bolton’s talks.
“I have a strong relationship with Anthony Van Der Wielen from Perth. He had taken on Shai Bolton and we will work to get that done. Shai is a special player and he’s put in a heap of hard work.
“We are even more excited about what he is going to do in the future and we will lock that away.”
The Tigers need to elevate Stack onto the senior list after his time as a rookie but could choose to delist him then re-rookie him, aware it would allow rivals to swoop.
Hopper said he was thrilled to be able to continue his football journey alongside great mate Taranto, revealing Dustin Martin’s wooing had played a small role.
“Dusty has been brilliant. He was very good when I had my walk-through (of Punt Rd) so he’s been great. I haven’t spoken much to Dusty (before) so it was good. He was brilliant, very good.
“To do it together (with Taranto) is really unique and cool and I am looking forward to it
It’s massively exciting but obviously the list is still in a great position to be super successful.
“I am looking forward to contributing in every way I possibly can. Get me out there and I will do whatever it takes. It was huge to get the call yesterday. I am super-pumped. I feel like I have almost been drafted again. It was super exciting to get the news yesterday and become a Tiger.’’
Hartley told Trade Radio the Tigers were confident in securing Hopper and Taranto on seven-year deals.
“Those decisions don’t come lightly. It’s not like we are flippant about throwing around seven-year deals. Since the advent of free agency managers have looked to lock away players with security. There are some risks involved but they are calculated ones.
“Dion Prestia signed for five years at the end of 2016 and then signed a three-year extension so when you are looking to attract high quality players to your club these things are what you need to consider and we don’t do that lightly.”
He said the Tigers were thrilled to retain Soldo despite believing at some stage they would have to move him on.
“We had a mature conversation with his manager and if Ivan wanted to explore his options we wouldn’t stand in his way. The longer it went on we wanted to keep Ivan and GWS were in a position to realign their salary cap. So Ivan stays at Richmond and we are delighted he is staying with us and looking forward to what he is going to bring next year.’’
So Jon Ralph has appropriated a Trade Radio interview as his own.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
It’s amazing how some decidedly average KPF’s manage to etch out long careers. Mitch Brown, Schache…. Weideman will be another…

Reactions: 1 users
O'Meara to Fremantle

There will be some sort of mega trade IMO. I think the Lions will get a similar deal sorted to what they are after, but it will involves Freo and potentially Hawthorn too. It will be a similar thing to what Port achieved, they got the trade for JHF done for cheaper than they would have if they just dealt with North directly as it brought different assets into play.

If Hunter Clark is on the table this year hopefully, he stays at the Aints and we can somehow organise to snatch him next year would fit perfectly alongside Rioli on the Back Flanks.

Kane Farrell is the one. Out of contract at Port next year, best left foot kick in the competition, has AA half back written all over him in the next few years.

Reactions: 4 users