Get Matthew Richardson away from goals (HeraldSun) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Get Matthew Richardson away from goals (HeraldSun)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Get Matthew Richardson away from goals
Mike Sheehan
30 June 2003 Herald Sun

MATTHEW Richardson's 500th career goal in Brisbane on Saturday night
elevated him to rare company.

It is a feat previously achieved by only 38 players in more than 100 years,
and Wayne Carey, Sav Rocca, Alastair Lynch and Matthew Lloyd are the only
other current players on the list.

Yet, there is a strong, even compelling, case to say Richmond must abandon
a forward structure built upon Richo's flighty, if exhilarating, talents.

The 500th goal on Saturday night, his only goal in the game, took his 2003
return to 18.21 from 10 games.

Not nearly good enough for a full-forward in a team aspiring to play
finals. From a player still the most capable in his club.

Only Collingwood's Chris Tarrant averages more marks, yet Richo doesn't
figure among the leading 30 goalkickers in the competition.

Even when he is kicking goals, personal success doesn't necessarily
translate to team success.

In his two most productive seasons -- 1996 (91 goals) and '99 (67 goals) --
the Tigers finished ninth and 12th, respectively.

The returns don't justify the uncertainty, the anguish, the negative impact
on his and the team's psyche.

Makes you wonder why so many coaches have been so reluctant to set him free
to play up the field.

He is 28. Will we be saying the same things about him when he retires in
three or four years?

His notorious inconsistency was costly yet again Saturday night.

He won an early test of strength against the formidable Mal Michael, then
promptly hit the post with a set shot from inside 30m.

In a game in which the Tigers just had to start well, it was a critical
miss.

He missed again with a set shot early in the final term, Richmond's last
roll of the dice. His only goal came from a left-foot snap from 40-odd
metres.

As talented as he is, he is a poor kick for goal. It's not personal; it's
fact.

As it happens, only Geelong has kicked fewer goals than Richmond this year,
even with Richardson forward.

The Tigers kicked nine on Saturday night, the seventh time in 13 rounds
they have failed to kick more than 12.

Danny Frawley and his lieutenants simply have to go back to the drawing
board, and set up again.

Get Richo out of there, play Brad Ottens out of the goalsquare, use him as
a relief ruckman for Greg Stafford (l6 goals), and increase the number of
crumbers.

As for Richo, he doesn't need a specific position. Midfield will do.

He is an extraordinary athlete: 198cm, 100-plus kg and exceptionally quick
and nimble.

His kicking is more reliable up the ground, too. Distance never has been
his problem, it's a dodgy technique coupled with a negative attitude.

He is capable of taking 12-15 marks a week in an upfield role, and, like
Sydney's Adam Goodes, would be a terribly difficult match-up. He would
cause massive headaches for opposing coaches, bounding forward from the
middle of the ground and roosting the ball deep inside 50. Maybe even
through the big sticks on occasions.

These are desperate times for the Tigers.

They were third with six wins after eight rounds; they are now 10th with
six wins after 13 rounds.

The extended absence of skipper Wayne Campbell has cut deeply. He played in
six of the first eight games and just one since.

Darren Gaspar, the team's best defender, is out for the rest of the season,
and injuries generally have exposed Richmond's lack of depth.

Half a dozen players were exposed for talent, strength or pace, or all
three, on Saturday night.

Richmond faces Adelaide in Adelaide on Saturday night. Another top-eight
team, another interstate trip.

The plusses are the continued good form and leadership provided by Stafford
and Andrew Kellaway, the exciting form of Greg Tivendale and youngsters
Mark Coughlan and Ty Zantuck, and the fact Ben Holland got through. There
is, though, still much work to be done at Punt Rd.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Leave Richardson where he is, let him have a few ripper games and then let's trade like we have never traded before and get rid of him before he brings us down with him!

Of what use could Richo be up the ground? Really?

He has no skill at getting the ball off the ground whatsoever, takes 5 minutes to get ball on to boot, can't handball quickly, has no lateral vision and runs on train tracks where if the ball is a little to the left or right of him you can count him out of the contest.

All he will do is give away more free kicks, do clangers which will give us less time to recover from (as they will be up the ground) and chuck more tantrums.

I know my words must hurt all the Richo supporters reading my messages, and i'm sorry if they do, but its what i honestly feel. I have no more excuses left for Richo. Enough is enough.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
It's a bit hard to fathom how Danny berates the team for being too Richo conscious, then sets the team with Richo as a focal point in the goal square.

History shows Richo rarely plays well when he's being held.

I can't work out why he's left there in that situation.

If Richo cracks them you can almost write his night off.

I'd prefer him away from the goals in that situation too.

I said in another post how I think leaving him there is wasting his other talents.

If he can get out and run away from his opponent he might actually deliver the ball in for our other forwards.

That has to be a lot more benefit to the team than just leaving wrestling opponents in the goal square.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
JohnF said:
Leave Richardson where he is, let him have a few ripper games

Trouble is he's not having ripper games where he is. It's been a pretty lean few weeks for Richo.

g0tigers

carn the mighty tiges
Jun 16, 2003
Victoria, Australia
rosy3 said:
Trouble is he's not having ripper games where he is. It's been a pretty lean few weeks for Richo.

Thats right, Normally he'll have an up week, then a down week, Latley richo's been having nothing but down weeks. Is it a sign of things in years to come? ::)

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
He's paid 500K+ to kick goals not get cheap possessions up the ground.

I agree he should be played further up field eg CHF but he also needs to kick more goals than he currently does.

Lets not forget that he had 4 shots on goal and managed only 1.3 on saturday night. Not good enough!

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
What position was Richo playing when he kicked all those goals in the second half of last year?

From what position has he kicked the majority of his goals in his career?

I think more than anything Richo has forgotten how to lead and how to take a mark properly. Not to mention his kicking has degenerated. If he was kicking goals at 70% he would have had 30 goals from 10 games which would have been decent.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
IMO play him on a half forward flank with a more traditional type CHF while still rotating Ottens and Staff at FF and in the ruck.

IF all this was a year ahead but we had the same list IMO it'd be good to have something like Gaspar FB
Schulz CHB Stafford Ruck and either Holland or Ottens at CHF or FF with Richo on a flank Hall on the bench.

Of course very rarely do you have all these guys available at the same time. So depth in this area must be made almost as much a priority as adding QUALITY depth to the midfield.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
As much as I hate to say it, I almost agree with SHEEHAN.

I think that they should give Richo a run at the true CHF position with licence to run far and wide. A couple of years back he was cutting the opposition apart playing this role.

It will also mean that he will draw the best defender with him leaving space for other to lead up the corridor. Leaving room for OTTO and STAFF to lead into. God forbid almost like Pagans dreaded paddock.

God forbid we do something unpredictable.

Lastly Richo is a far beter kick for goal from around the 40-50 metre mark and he may even kick a few more a week as well.

Gotta be worth trying something new and get back on the front foot.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
gustiger12 said:
I think that they should give Richo a run at the true CHF position with licence to run far and wide.

I think we fall down at CHF this season already, so can't see how selecting Richo there then letting him run far and wide would work.

IMO we need someone reliable and disclipined in the true CHF position.

I agree with Sheehan. Richo doesn't need a specific position but on days he's being well held put him up the ground and let him run.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Get richo away from goals - give him a little name tag and put him in a McDonald's drive thru.

Richo is not the main problem to our woes. We do not play as a team and yes Richo's presence does contribute to this but if the coach cannot cotrol this then it makes no difference where you play Richo. In saying this Richo is overated and can fetch us some handy draft picks which could unearth future 10 year players for the club. The club needs make the hard decisions in order to point the club in the right direction. We are not gonna win a premiership within Richo's career so we need to look to the future.

A breath of fresh air was Chris Connelly when he said "If I was concerned about making the eight I would play our best players but I'm not. I played Scammer because I want to build a team that can win a flag". DANNY FRAWDUDLEY - ARE YOU LISTENING!!!!!!!

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Rosy for once I disagree with you. We have fallen down at CHF this year because we haven't really had one.

My arguement is that if we play Richo in that position and let him run up the field it will create space in the hole for the FF to run into. We could also use our midfield to push forward into the hole to create goal scoring options.

This would also place pressure on the ruckman dropping back in the hole to block Richo's leads. Even the flankers could drop in there and should create opportunities for the likes of BOWDEN, TIVENDALE, KRAKOUER and co to put them selves in a postion to kick goals.

As has been said many a times the diversion is often the key to the play. We need to be able to create our own space rather than looking for the long bomb time and time again. We all know this has become all too predictable at Tigerland

I maybe way of the mark, but can't hurt to try it

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
Yea an owner operator with his head stuck up his arse. And hes wrong about richo he needs to be traded asap as the club seems incapable of drafting tall forwards while richos there :)