GF WA | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GF WA

And the reason is?
Border restrictions... it’s already been ruled out. Not even any finals over there. Zero chance of a gf or finals with a 2 week quarantine imposed. After this block of games the eagles and freo will again be entering a hub for the remainder of the year.

It doesn't completely rule it out. They allowed Collingwood and Geelong to play each other while both were in quarantine so you could conduct finals under the same conditions. It would just mean that WA teams would also have to enter quarantine if they were involved in games.
The AFL will not be making things harder than they need especially for a state that’s made things so hard for them. it’s Gabba or SA 100%

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Border restrictions... it’s already been ruled out. Not even any finals over there. Zero chance of a gf or finals with a 2 week quarantine imposed. After this block of games the eagles and freo will again be entering a hub for the remainder of the year.

Are they leaving Perth in the next block of games?
I thought they said GWS and Sydney are going there.
They can't possibly stay in Perth.
If they play Sydney and GWS that will be 7 straight games in Perth.
That will make it 7 out of 12 in Perth.
Not bad for all the whinging

Are they leaving Perth in the next block of games?
I thought they said GWS and Sydney are going there.
They can't possibly stay in Perth.
If they play Sydney and GWS that will be 7 straight games in Perth.
That will make it 7 out of 12 in Perth.
Not bad for all the whinging
Yeah they’ll be playing syd and gws in Perth then there last 3 they’ll be back based on the Gold Coast or in cairns

If the GF does end up in Perth, it matters not.
First of all the Eagles have to actually make it to the big dance in the first place.
Secondly, in recent years they have been prone to some really shaky and nervous performances at home.
I can see the Tigers going over there and unleashing hell on them.
Having said all that the Gabba or Adelaide Oval would be preferable.

Not enamoured with the idea of Adelaide Oval, it's another one of those thin grounds from memory, at least it is for cricket.

DS

Wouldn't surprise me.

The WA government has kicked in $$$ to build Optus while the Qld government apparently not keen to do the same with the Gabba.

The AFL is a highly political animal so unless a deal is done I can see them rewarding the spend.

Its an amazing stadium, i was pretty blown away by it. Taking our tiger hats off, WA deserves it most. That Stadium is the best of the lot.

The only thing for Qld is it might help the growth of the game, especially with the Broncos stinking it up. Brisbane sport fans are incredibly fickle. If the Lions can stay good & be a genuine chance to make it in the AFLs eyes, i think they could very likely do it here.

Reactions: 1 user
Its an amazing stadium, i was pretty blown away by it. Taking our tiger hats off, WA deserves it most. That Stadium is the best of the lot.

The only thing for Qld is it might help the growth of the game, especially with the Broncos stinking it up. Brisbane sport fans are incredibly fickle. If the Lions can stay good & be a genuine chance to make it in the AFLs eyes, i think they could very likely do it here.

It is a nice stadium, although terrible when the sun goes down if you are facing west (don't think that was an issue if you were on the ground playing, just for the fans in the stand).

I would think the AFL is more likely to go for Queensland to try and grow the game, they have form in taking Aussie Rules states for granted.

DS

There's a rumour going around the AFL are bauking at playing the GF at Optus stadium because of the name Optus.
Telstra are the AFL's number 1 partner.
With crowds decreasing back to 10k in SA, it looks more likely the GF could be played in El Salvador