Give Me A Break | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Give Me A Break

Maskedman

Tiger Cub
Jul 21, 2003
Melbourne
:mad:
Give Me A Break - remember, we the supporters asked the board to "Unleash The Geisch", and within 2 years we were screaming "Release The Geisch", and he is still paying us back!

Remember the base Danny had when he arrived. Greg Miller has only been at the Club for 10 months. Even Jesus Christ took time (30 years) before he became a miracle worker.

Yes, I am a passionate Tiger man, which is why:-

1) I will renew my & my kids memberships with out question in October,
2) I was at the Night of Nights last Saturday,
3) Why I participate in positive supporter groups like Club 80.

The Club needs us now almost as much as it did in the Save Our Skins campaign. So come on Tigers get off the bandwagon and help push the thing forward rather than stand in its way!!

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Top post Maskedman! I take this opportunity to say welcome to PRE, you are a breath of fresh air!

It takes courage to be positive and supportive of the club when it is struggling. It's very easy to sit back and bag - a very cowardly and short-sighted option in my view.

BTW what is Club 80?

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Maskedman said:
The Club needs us now almost as much as it did in the Save Our Skins campaign. So come on Tigers get off the bandwagon and help push the thing forward rather than stand in its way!!

Hi and welcome Maskedman, couldn't agree with you more.

The very reason this Club has little or no credibility or respect in the football world is because we continue to make half assed, no brain decisions, just to release the mounting pressure.

What this says is that those who run the Club have no confidence in their own ability to resolve the issues they are confronted with, so an easy solution becomes the cure. And, if nothing else, at least they get to keep their job. Is it any wonder we, as supporters, have no confidence in those that run the Club to take us forward?

We have come to believe that the only way to go forward is to take the easy way out. Consequently, the solution has become the cause of our problems.

Until we realise this, we will never develop any confidence in our Club, as a whole, to achieve anything other than what we have over the last two decades. Because when the going gets tough, we always take the easy way out. How can you possibly develop confidence in anyone or anything if that is the case?

Those that are there now at least deserve the opportunity to move us forward. If not, we deserve what we get.

Time and results will determine who the right people for the job are.

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
great post...

I think the person who deserves a lot of credit is Clinton casey. here is a man who knowing too well what the tiger culture is like, has stood up and said there needs to be changes.

He could quite easily do the "quck fix" thing so he looks good for a year, but he's gone out on a limb and started from scratch. He will either become a hero or another failed loser. I, for his sake as well as mine, hope he is a hero. I only wish half our playing list has the same courage that he has.

Good on ya Clinton. We've needed someone with your balls for some time now. just hope you get rewarded..

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
Totally disagree Balmy Army, Clinton casey is one of the major problems at our club. No leadership, no passion, talks crap in the media (including going into the specifics of our coaches wage) and it's my personal opinion that he took on the job for self promotion of his company. He should make another change and send himself to one of his retirement homes.

We need an overhaul (alas Collingwood). After winning the wooden spoon in 99 they had a total overhaul that included a new Pres (Eddie) who has singlehandedly made that club a success. Enticed Malthouse, Balme, Swan, Judkins to the club and a plethara of sponsors and 3 years later they make the GF and have 40,000 members. They turnover 22 players in 2 years. We on teh other hand go backwards in the last 3 years. We need to make changes off the field also. We've done well to get Ian Cambpell and Greg Miller, but the President, Coach and Recruiting Manger have to go. Sadly none will go at the end of the year.

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
Rome wasn't built in a day boss.

Which president in the last 20 years has backed the idead of building a foundation? It is too easy for the president to keep putting his own interests first, as might be the case with some of Caseys antics, but I am saying that I admire his courage in finally taking a stance at the club. With a developed culture like Richmond have developed, I am glad someone is finally making the stand that is needed, and finally backing the board and giving them time required. Only time will tell if i'm wrong, but I am more positive with the changes at punt Road over the last 10 months, than I have about any other change in the past 20 years.

Maskedman

Tiger Cub
Jul 21, 2003
Melbourne
I agree, The last President that was in it for the Black & Yellow was probably Neville Crowe. Leon had his own agenda, but I respected his integrity when he fell on his sword along with Geisch (who had to go as is evidenced by the woeful state of umpiring under his direction).

Even Graeme Richmond took time to bring success to Tigerland, so lets give the incumbant team a go.

If you want to hear more from Clinton & Ian Campbell, this time addressing the true faithful, then get along to Pireaus Blues tonight for the monthly Club 80 function. For details check out http://www.club80.com.au

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
I have to disagree with what you say The Boss. I don't know the reasons why Clinton Casey originally took on the job but, from what I have seen he has made attempts to change things.

He has at least been honest enough to know that he doesn't have all the answer and has gone out to get people who do.

How can anyone kick someone just because they don't have all the answers? I can give anyone a go when I can see what they are trying to do.

To judge people on who they are when they begin a role is unreasonable, imo. Judge them on the contribution they make and the results they achieve in the time they are there and in the circumstances under which they achieve those results.

You can't do that unless you give people the opportunity to prove themselves.

These are tough times, so we'll get to see just how tough people are.

In time, we can better assess the impact people make. Not right now when the results of the decisions made have not had time to impact on our Club.

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
Maskedman and MC24,
thankyou for agreeing. Felt I was alone for a minute there.

Isn't it funny that the one thing we have been crying out for for so long, overhaul and stability, finally starts to happen, yet so many supporters are still angry. Very hard to please some people. maybe they should go to sleep for a couple more seasons and wake up when it's all moving along nicely. We should be getting excited about things at Punt Road.....

UntamedTiger

Tiger Rookie
Jun 8, 2003
Hey Mask, I respect your opinion but resent that you are alluding that those who attend such functions are "true faithful" supporters. Some of us with legitimate reasons, such as distance, time, family and finance may not be able to attend such gatherings, does not mean we are any less TRUE to the RFC.

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
Let me put it this way - I guess I'm fortunate that I hear more of what goes on at our club than some others and that is how I've formed my opinion.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
The Boss said:
Let me put it this way - I guess I'm fortunate that I hear more of what goes on at our club than some others and that is how I've formed my opinion.

There's a saying: "Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear."

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Welcome to PRE Unmasked Tiger. I agree that the club needs our support and would never consider not buying memberships for myself and my family.

I also respect the right of others not to do the same. There are various reasons people don't sign up.

We'll keep pushing the membership spiel through this site and hopefully encourage people to sign up.

I don't think critisising people or judging them is the way to go though.

There are varying ways to support the club. Not everyone is in the position to attend functions, or even go to games.

The important thing is they retain their love for the club and support it in whatever way they can.

Though the bagging and critisism on this site drive me bonkers at times I also respect people's right to voice their opinions.

People should be able to discuss the club. Personally I don't think I'm being disloyal for being sick of talk Richmond will make the finals or are right up in the competition up to their eyeballs.

Yes I agree people should still support the club, but I also hold the theory actions speak louder than words, and the club needs to give a bit back to the supporters too.

A few replies to e-mails would be a good place to start.

Supporters are more than just someone to give money to the club and should be treated that way imo.

It's got to work both ways.

Go Tiges!

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
MC - I think the information I've provided here in the past has been pretty accurate, what do you think?

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
The Boss said:

I too have very good sources of insider information, very good indeed, and I respect your opinion.

What I'm trying to say and i think you keep missing the point, but isn't it refreshing to finally have someone who's supporting long term changes rather than short term fixes?

We may always beg to differ about Clinton casey. Each to their own The Boss.

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
Agree Balmy Army, we do need to look into the long term future rather then a short term fix.
I'm not trying to sway you or others to conform to my opinion re Casey, each to their own I agree.

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
rosy3 said:
Yes I agree people should still support the club, but I also hold the theory actions speak louder than words, and the club needs to give a bit back to the supporters too.

I agree with everything, but really believe that actions speaking louder than wont happen until end of season. We always talk about it, but what can we actually do till then? Nothing.....

And yes, i agree. We will always be supporters. It's in our blood that pumps through our bodies. Richmond is the reason why I like winter more than summer... lol Those who don't sign up when the chips are down, should not even consider calling themselves supporters.

I recently drove to Adelaide to watch us play, and I felt so proud to wear my coulours over there. Some Richmond supporters i work with just laughed at tjhe idea, and as far as I'm concerned, they may as well follow Collingwood.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
The Boss said:
Totally disagree Balmy Army, Clinton casey is one of the major problems at our club. No leadership, no passion, talks crap in the media (including going into the specifics of our coaches wage) and it's my personal opinion that he took on the job for self promotion of his company. He should make another change and send himself to one of his retirement homes.

We need an overhaul (alas Collingwood). After winning the wooden spoon in 99 they had a total overhaul that included a new Pres (Eddie) who has singlehandedly made that club a success. Enticed Malthouse, Balme, Swan, Judkins to the club and a plethara of sponsors and 3 years later they make the GF and have 40,000 members. They turnover 22 players in 2 years. We on teh other hand go backwards in the last 3 years. We need to make changes off the field also. We've done well to get Ian Cambpell and Greg Miller, but the President, Coach and Recruiting Manger have to go. Sadly none will go at the end of the year.

Just like the majority of us here, The Boss, this is mostly personal opinion.

Where's the evidence that suggest he's not doing his job? Getting Ian Campbell and Greg Miller was just a fluke I suppose?

Casey either has to perform or his position will be under threat. And nobody can continue to make decisions out of self-interest, without it going unnoticed.

If he's not the right man for the job, the results of his administration will show. Why do we have to continually cut people off mid-stream, without giving them a go?

Because of our own selfish needs and through our impatience for success, time after time, we stifle this Club's progress.

We get what we deserve. :mad: